Canfield Cardinals Schedule and Outlook for 2023

Incidentally if Canfield would add Fitch, South Range, WGH, Ursuline, Mooney or Steubenville to the schedule it would bump them up to #1 in SOS for D-III. If they would add a 2nd team from those in place of Howland they would rank among the top 10 in D-II as well.

Those who previously proposed Canfield playing Fitch, Harding, South Range, Ursuline, Mooney, et al may not realize that what they are proposing is for Canfield to have a schedule that would rank in the top 5 for all D-II schools when they are a small D-III school most years.
For what it is worth, I said you should only play 1 of those teams. Don't be a Louisville and think you get bonus points for playing schedules like that.

For what it is worth, I said you should only play 1 of those teams. Don't be a Louisville and think you get bonus points for playing schedules like that.
Other posters previously have suggested they play all of the above, in addition to most of the teams they currently play. I apologize for not being more clear.

Simkon- where are you getting strength of schedule information?
Cal Preps is one source and using the formula that Drew utilizes as well. But as of the moment it is based on values from the end of last season, so there will certainly be some variability as the season goes on.

Simkon
I also know the Rach family and talk to coach very often
Your full of s*** if you try to say he didn't want to play Canfield.
Just be a man for once in your life and say PAV didn't want to lose to a team close to him

Simkon
Which member of the Rach family played in the 90s when you played?
Here is a photo from the early 90s, I had a Rach as coach the following year.

Attachments

• 20181208_143608.jpg
    20181208_143608.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 33
Cal Preps is one source and using the formula that Drew utilizes as well. But as of the moment it is based on values from the end of last season, so there will certainly be some variability as the season goes on.
You know, when I quoted “Drew” by saying he had ranked Steubenvilles schedule as the toughest in D4, I believe it was you who peed all over it and said it wasn’t true because they played too many out state teams etc. Maybe I’m wrong that it was you and if I am I apologize. I don’t have the patience to go back through the entire thread. But you cannot quote Drew when it’s what you like but poo poo him when you don’t like what says.

You know, when I quoted “Drew” by saying he had ranked Steubenvilles schedule as the toughest in D4, I believe it was you who peed all over it and said it wasn’t true because they played too many out state teams etc. Maybe I’m wrong that it was you and if I am I apologize. I don’t have the patience to go back through the entire thread. But you cannot quote Drew when it’s what you like but poo poo him when you don’t like what says.
Drew did not say anything, I was just utilizing his formula. Drew does not have anything posted or published for the upcoming season, I did all the calculations myself for all the teams that appeared to have tough schedules.

Drew did not say anything, I was just utilizing his formula. Drew does not have anything posted or published for the upcoming season, I did all the calculations myself for all the teams that appeared to have tough schedules.
Can you share?

Can you share?
This is Canfield for instance, it would be too complicated and convoluted to show the full calculations or every single team, but this should give you a basic, general idea.

08/18 vs West Branch [opponent rating: 22.9]

08/25 at Mansfield [opponent rating: 28.3]

09/01 vs Olmsted Falls [opponent rating: 29.7]

09/08 at Poland Seminary [opponent rating: 13.9]

09/15 vs Chaney [opponent rating: 22.4]

09/22 vs Dover [opponent rating: 15.5]

10/06 vs Holy Name [opponent rating: 29.6]

10/12 at Howland [opponent rating: -25.8]

10/20 at Boardman [opponent rating: 10.1]

This is Canfield for instance, it would be too complicated and convoluted to show the full calculations or every single team, but this should give you a basic, general idea.

08/18 vs West Branch [opponent rating: 22.9]

08/25 at Mansfield [opponent rating: 28.3]

09/01 vs Olmsted Falls [opponent rating: 29.7]

09/08 at Poland Seminary [opponent rating: 13.9]

09/15 vs Chaney [opponent rating: 22.4]

09/22 vs Dover [opponent rating: 15.5]

10/06 vs Holy Name [opponent rating: 29.6]

10/12 at Howland [opponent rating: -25.8]

10/20 at Boardman [opponent rating: 10.1]
Actually, I have to give the AD credit. This independent schedule for a D3 school is very good. You have 4 local "rival" games, 2 local area games in Dover and WB that are very good competition and all should be excellent games to watch. The 3 games of Holy Name, Olmsted & Mansfield will be good games for Canfield to get ready for playoffs.

Last edited:
Camp Update:

First full day of pads today! (No hitting until Monday)

Rumblings I've heard:

QB competition still going, mark one down in "heavy" pencil, some real speed/elusiveness from the younger guys (Could the future be now)?

(2) RB's with outstanding speed and quickness. Maybe one of the best 1/2 punches in the area? Both a threat to go the distance on any play. Should be a fun duo.

OL has been progressing. Two returning anchors and two other holes filled in very nicely so far, need one more young guy to step up. IF it breaks right, this could turn into a strength.

Maybe a surprise guy, length and hands are there, more speed?

DL will be rock solid and running inside should be tough sledding for any team. Developing depth to give the starters a few plays off will be essential.

LB should be a strength on this team. Again depth is needed.

Secondary with 3 of 4 back. Will be solid and for the most part very athletic. Possible new starter adds to the speed.

As stated earlier, with such a large class graduating, developing spot starters and backups amongst the younger guys has been a focus. Coach Pavlansky has stated that the coaches will play to the players strengths. I'd expect to see a return of the mid teens Canfield offense. Some young guys will absolutely get a chance to play, more so than the past couple of years, which should help this team in the future. First scrimmage at Salem is a week away. First game vs. West Branch in 3 weeks.

After reading this it sounds like every position is a strength. With Lowry gone I thought it could be a work in progress year but I'm looking forward to see what Canfield has. They'll be a tough win no matter what, that's always the case.

It probably reads as being a bit on the homer side, and I wouldn't say every position is a strength, but there is at least one and sometimes 2 above average players at each level. How they fill in around those guys will determine how their season goes. The schedule is definitely tougher than last year on paper.

Camp Update:

First full day of pads today! (No hitting until Monday)

Rumblings I've heard:

QB competition still going, mark one down in "heavy" pencil, some real speed/elusiveness from the younger guys (Could the future be now)?

(2) RB's with outstanding speed and quickness. Maybe one of the best 1/2 punches in the area? Both a threat to go the distance on any play. Should be a fun duo.

OL has been progressing. Two returning anchors and two other holes filled in very nicely so far, need one more young guy to step up. IF it breaks right, this could turn into a strength.

Maybe a surprise guy, length and hands are there, more speed?

DL will be rock solid and running inside should be tough sledding for any team. Developing depth to give the starters a few plays off will be essential.

LB should be a strength on this team. Again depth is needed.

Secondary with 3 of 4 back. Will be solid and for the most part very athletic. Possible new starter adds to the speed.

As stated earlier, with such a large class graduating, developing spot starters and backups amongst the younger guys has been a focus. Coach Pavlansky has stated that the coaches will play to the players strengths. I'd expect to see a return of the mid teens Canfield offense. Some young guys will absolutely get a chance to play, more so than the past couple of years, which should help this team in the future. First scrimmage at Salem is a week away. First game vs. West Branch in 3 weeks.
RB's with outstanding speed? Are you saying these two backs are running 4.4 or 4.5 40's?

After reading this it sounds like every position is a strength. With Lowry gone I thought it could be a work in progress year but I'm looking forward to see what Canfield has. They'll be a tough win no matter what, that's always the case.
Excepting when Canfield was down and the games weren't particularly competitive for a few years and the rivalry was discontinued for several years. Dover on the otherhand has been consistently good for the past 20 years roughly.

Dover on the otherhand has been consistently good for the past 20 years roughly
Dover made playoffs like 3 times in the 80s and 3 times in the 90s, back when that was something to hang your hat on. Dover is #7 all time on Ohio wins lists. We’ve always been good!

Dover made playoffs like 3 times in the 80s and 3 times in the 90s, back when that was something to hang your hat on. Dover is #7 all time on Ohio wins lists. We’ve always been good!
I was just saying you have not had any down years since first starting the series almost 20 years ago.

Yes, they should be breaking off long runs this year then. Did they run track? Surprised I didn't hear about them
#11 ran track. Had a good sophmore season. Pulled his hamstring the first meet junior year. Didn't run again until county meet. Tweaked it again in districts. Hamstring is fine for football. Track career is over!! lol Football Camp 40 times are suspect but he ran 2 sub 4.5 40's at The Pitt Camp going into his junior season.

So do cards have legit shot to repeat?
Repeat? I wouldn’t say that. They can be pretty good, but have a super tough schedule, not many cupcakes. Then in the playoffs region 9 is loaded with teams like Chardon, Aurora and others. If they get to semis will most likely meet up with defending D2 state champs TCC who maybe a top 5 team in the whole state.
@Penguin45 @wghfan is correct Inglis is fast and tweaked a hammy in track, Eaton ran 4.5 at camps, and Mazella ran the 100 in track they definitely have some speed.

Repeat? I wouldn’t say that. They can be pretty good, but have a super tough schedule, not many cupcakes. Then in the playoffs region 9 is loaded with teams like Chardon, Aurora and others. If they get to semis will most likely meet up with defending D2 state champs TCC who maybe a top 5 team in the whole state.
@Penguin45 @wghfan is correct Inglis is fast and tweaked a hammy in track, Eaton ran 4.5 at camps, and Mazella ran the 100 in track they definitely have some speed.
I don’t understand the infatuation with Aurora. They are decent, but never a real contender.

Scrimmage Vs. Salem Round Up:

This is not meant to disparage Salem, but they seemed young and small. I don't know to much about their program. That being said, the Canfield offense ran the ball at will. The 1's scored 3 times, with 3 touchdowns by both backs. #11 had a long TD of about 40+ yards and a short one, #10 had a short one. Both backs had really nice long runs. Canfield's starting QB played fairly well (you can probably get ready to put is name in marker), although no running from QB's was allowed. The defense was solid. Shout out to Canfield CB #4 on a nice hit on a quick pass, and the play of the starting LB's. Salem's 1's on offense were not able to move the ball consistently and didn't threaten to score, even in the red zone portion of the scrimmage. The negatives I would take away for Canfield would be the one glaring hole on the OL and a lack of depth at some positions (this was always going to be the case, especially early in the season). That being said, they looked ok for their first action of the year. Louisville should provide a tougher test this Thursday for the last scrimmage. Hard to believe it's less than 2 weeks until the season opener. Final note. There were a lot of WB players in attendance.