Canfield at Ursuline

I saw that the Canfield 8th grade team was very successful this year, are they all staying at Canfield? The Cards have done a good job of keeping their own recently.

How can any school "steal" or "poach" a student from another school? If a kid wants to go to Mooney or Ursuline or Glenville or wherever, that's their's and their family's decision. The recipient school isn't forcing those students to attend. They're there because they wanna be there.

Is that the reason why Canfield won't play Ursuline? Or is it because they don't think they can win? If it's the first, that's pretty weak. There's NOTHING stopping any kid in Canfield from going there. So not playing Ursuline isn't having any effect except making Canfield look scared and petty. That's a recipe for losing, if you ask me.

Hey Ursuline, there's a school in Cleveland named Glenville who isn't afraid to play anyone anywhere, unlike all the Youngstown suburban schools. Hopefully, the ADs from both schools can get together and make it happen for '24 and beyond

@dexksim The individual in question was told by other schools if he played for them he could be the starting QB and star player or something to that effect. I have been at Canfield sporting events where other private and parochial schools were actively trying to recruit and poach students. In fact several private and parochial schools in Northeast Ohio tried to get me to play for them before I got injured (not football btw), some schools included US, WRA, Gilmour, et al. One of my friends from Canfield actually ended up playing for US aswell.

How can any school "steal" or "poach" a student from another school? If a kid wants to go to Mooney or Ursuline or Glenville or wherever, that's their's and their family's decision. The recipient school isn't forcing those students to attend. They're there because they wanna be there.

Is that the reason why Canfield won't play Ursuline? Or is it because they don't think they can win? If it's the first, that's pretty weak. There's NOTHING stopping any kid in Canfield from going there. So not playing Ursuline isn't having any effect except making Canfield look scared and petty. That's a recipe for losing, if you ask me.

Hey Ursuline, there's a school in Cleveland named Glenville who isn't afraid to play anyone anywhere, unlike all the Youngstown suburban schools. Hopefully, the ADs from both schools can get together and make it happen for '24 and beyond
1995- Ursuline 30, Glenville 16
1996- Ursuline 50, Glenville 26
2021- Ursuline 42, Glenville 38
It would be great if the two schools started to meet on a regular basis. Both have rich and successful grid iron histories.

1995- Ursuline 30, Glenville 16
1996- Ursuline 50, Glenville 26
2021- Ursuline 42, Glenville 38
It would be great if the two schools started to meet on a regular basis. Both have rich and successful grid iron histories.
Yep I said this in another thread. Ginn should drop Olentangy and call Reardon

@dexksim The individual in question was told by other schools if he played for them he could be the starting QB and star player or something to that effect. I have been at Canfield sporting events where other private and parochial schools were actively trying to recruit and poach students. In fact several private and parochial schools in Northeast Ohio tried to get me to play for them before I got injured (not football btw), some schools included US, WRA, Gilmour, et al. One of my friends from Canfield actually ended up playing for US aswell.
I heard they have a great male cheer squad there

3 pages and zero analysis of what anyone thinks will happen in the game other than Ursuline by a bajillion. I guess I'm just as guilty. So here goes. I think the only way Canfield wins is by running the ball, controlling the clock and getting a timely turnover or 2. As Pav is fond of saying, if it turns into a track meet Canfield has no chance. Where does Canfield have an edge? On the lines? Middle of the defense? My understanding is Ursuline has talent to spare at the skill positions, the secondary and on the edge. I'd be interested on hearing from anyone else on how Canfield can upset Ursuline.

3 pages and zero analysis of what anyone thinks will happen in the game other than Ursuline by a bajillion. I guess I'm just as guilty. So here goes. I think the only way Canfield wins is by running the ball, controlling the clock and getting a timely turnover or 2. As Pav is fond of saying, if it turns into a track meet Canfield has no chance. Where does Canfield have an edge? On the lines? Middle of the defense? My understanding is Ursuline has talent to spare at the skill positions, the secondary and on the edge. I'd be interested on hearing from anyone else on how Canfield can upset Ursuline.
You're pretty spot on. Canfield's best chance of success offensively is between both A gaps. The further outside they go the more trouble they'll have I think. At least that's what Ursuline's defense has shown this year.

Canfield must limit explosives defensively. Even in last year's game, they held Ursuline in check pretty much all game, except for explosives. Ursuline scored almost all of its points on 50+ yard touchdowns if i remember correctly.

Representatives from the private schools show up to junior high football, basketball and track meets and actively recruit student athletes. Students are also sent letters encouraging them to come to the schools.
I don’t know how much more clear it needs to be to be called recruiting. Which is NOT allowed.

Short story long, akimbe Johnson had a hit on the qb multiple times all dirty plays. Almost like bounty gate. Wouldn’t be surprised if the current Ursuline coach instills those principles to avenge a loss last season to the cardinals. Infamous game back in 89 simkon surely you were there. Anyways I have Canfield running it down the throats of Ursuline 24-21 cardinals.
WOULD LOVE TO SEE THAT HAPPEN, BUT I DON'T THINK IT WILL.

Representatives from the private schools show up to junior high football, basketball and track meets and actively recruit student athletes. Students are also sent letters encouraging them to come to the schools.
I don’t know how much more clear it needs to be to be called recruiting. Which is NOT allowed.
If you know of so many instances of this, why not report them to the OHSAA? I am always interested in reading these accusations on Yappi, but if they were all true, surely every private school in Ohio will be getting inundated with OHSAA violations each season. If a family wants their child to attend a private school after attending a public school for K-8, for whatever the reason (academic/athletic/fine arts), they have every right to.

Onto the game… I feel like this will be similar to the Ursuline vs. Mooney game. It should be fairly close at half, but Ursuline puts them away in the second half.
Ursuline 38-21

Previous few posts are pretty spot on, Canfield needs to run the ball inside and control the clock. Ursuline has too many weapons and ways to score quickly. If this game turns into a shootout, it will get ugly. If Canfield can keep the clock moving, create a few turnovers and limit penalties. It'll still be a tall task, but I expect Canfield to be competitive in this game.

Canfield has to play ball control, and take some chances on 4th down. They’re not going to be able to punt the ball often and stay in the game. Limit the Ursuline big plays and make them drive the length of the field will also play a big role

Canfield has to play ball control, and take some chances on 4th down. They’re not going to be able to punt the ball often and stay in the game. Limit the Ursuline big plays and make them drive the length of the field will also play a big role
Field position will be huge. Short fields for Ursuline equals trouble for Canfield.

It’s not “poaching” if a kid or his parents actively seek out another school. It is poaching if coaches and friends of the program etc, are in the kids and parents ear Trying to convince the kid to enroll at the new school. I do t think most folks don’t make that distinction. There are schools that get some OE kids where the kid just wants to play for a better program than where they are and they enroll and play ball. In essence there was no “recruiting” going on. And then there is the situation where a can’t miss, 3-5 star player, is actively pursued and sometimes coming from a long distance to play for one of the big boy, blue blood programs. As an example a kid playing in Millersburg, Ohio and transferring 150 miles away to Central Ohio to a team that competes for and wins state titles. Situations like that just have a bad smell to them. That kid already had an offer from OSU in the bag. Again, a major difference between poaching a kid and a kid changing schools without anyone in their ear and recruiting him.

Do schools that allegedly recruit actually pay or discount their tuition for a kid or do they just do a good job of selling them on the school and sports program?

Do schools that allegedly recruit actually pay or discount their tuition for a kid or do they just do a good job of selling them on the school and sports program?
Everyone that wanted me to play for them, would have given me a scholarship that would have made it free pretty much. I know a lot of my family members got a discount that attended the Youngstown parochial/Catholic schools. Schools attended included St. Pat's, St. Dom's, St. Charles', St. Christine's, Cardinal Mooney and Ursuline.

Canfield's first possession tonight I think will be very telling. Look to see how many seconds are on the playclock when they're snapping it. Will they actively play keepaway? Or will they play their game?

Ursuline is a very good team all around but this region 9 is full of teams that just play good solid fundamental football year in and year out. Whichever team wins this matchup in is facing a gauntlet of good teams just to win the region. Chardon, Kenston and Aurora are awaiting and of course whoever escapes this region has to best Toledo CC...it's a tough road. I have to believe Canfield will play very well tonight. Special teams will be key as last week the kicking game was a mess. That can't happen this week.

Good luck to both and Go Canfield

I think Canfield comes ready to play and hangs around for awhile but Irish wear them down. This is a very tough region.

Canfield's first possession tonight I think will be very telling. Look to see how many seconds are on the playclock when they're snapping it. Will they actively play keepaway? Or will they play their game?
Every team we've played in the second half of the season has played keep away with the clock and it hasn't worked. I would love to see the time of possession on these games. The disparity has to be big. Running the clock down works if you can sustain it for the whole hame AND score points on just about every drive. It is back breaking though if you drive for 7 minutes only to not score then the Irish go 90 yds on 4 plays in less than a minute and score. When we really put the hammer down tempo wise teams haven't been able to stop it all season.

The Irish have been laser focused on this one for a while. Everyone from the players, to coaches, to the fans have wanted this rematch since last season has ended and I reslly belive this game is going to get out of hand pretty quickly. The Cardinals will put in good effort but Ursuline wins big.

I went Ursuline, quite a while ago, and I was actively recruited. All the students are. It's a *private* school, so each year they start out with exactly zero potential students guaranteed from any source. So there were letters and sessions in (parochial) school. They make you feel like you are part of a community, and I still do, decades later. Didn't play a sport until I backed into one season of the tennis team. Also got a scholarship and discount (if you are Catholic, or have multiple family members enrolled). If you live in Youngstown area, I highly encourage you to consider it for your kids. Literally a life changing experience.