Canfield 2024, Coach Pavlansky retires.

This isn't college or NFL. Him not being a coordinator doesn't matter whatsoever. Not saying he is or isn't the best guy for the job, but again, the whole coordinator thing in HS football is basically taboo.
This would depend on the staff and school. Maybe in Canfield they do it that way. Being a coordinator is very important though, shows your ability to formulate a game plan and execute that game plan which you would think is a big part of being a head coach.
Ignazio did lead Boardman to the playoffs, but we dont know who is being kept on staff at Canfield...posters are assuming they hired within to do that, and maybe that is the case but we don't know that yet.
Will they hire the new coach to work in the building is the biggest question....shows alot of commitment to him if they are willing and able to do that.

Killed some time, did some quick research.

In the past 20 years w/5 different HC's, Boardman won 82 games...............an average of 4 per yer. (rounded)

In Ignazio's 8 years he won 32 games...................an average of 4 per year.

Take out Ignazio's years and wins, Boardman won 50 games in 12 years.........an average of 4 per year. (rounded)

Since Ignazio left, Boardman has won 9 games in 3 years w/2 different HC's.........an average of 3 per year.

That's all.

P.S. I don't care who Canfield's HC is or how they arrived at their decision.

This would depend on the staff and school. Maybe in Canfield they do it that way. Being a coordinator is very important though, shows your ability to formulate a game plan and execute that game plan which you would think is a big part of being a head coach.
Ignazio did lead Boardman to the playoffs, but we dont know who is being kept on staff at Canfield...posters are assuming they hired within to do that, and maybe that is the case but we don't know that yet.
Will they hire the new coach to work in the building is the biggest question....shows alot of commitment to him if they are willing and able to do that.
You have a point there - depending on the school.

Question though, if a big part of being a HC is to formulate a game plan and execute the game plan, what's the point of a coordinator and what's their job specifics?

I've always disagreed with the "You must be a coordinator to qualify as a HC" statements. I agree with the "putting in your time aspect" but if you're not coordinating as a HC, why do you need coordinating experience? There are more ways to delegate job duties than being a coordinator, which, by the way, the HC still delegates the tasks in his program. Point being, the person who treats the kids the best, gets the best out of his players and coaches, can communicate and motivate, and is knowledgeable about the game should qualify, not whether or not you coordinated.

Killed some time, did some quick research.

In the past 20 years w/5 different HC's, Boardman won 82 games...............an average of 4 per yer. (rounded)

In Ignazio's 8 years he won 32 games...................an average of 4 per year.

Take out Ignazio's years and wins, Boardman won 50 games in 12 years.........an average of 4 per year. (rounded)

Since Ignazio left, Boardman has won 9 games in 3 years w/2 different HC's.........an average of 3 per year.

That's all.

P.S. I don't care who Canfield's HC is or how they arrived at their decision.
So you are saying that its Boardman administrations fault for not being very good at football and not the head coaches. Fair enough. Still have to question choosing a head coach who has not had success over one of the best in the tri-county area who has already had high levels of success..

I have zero issue with the hire. His units have been outstanding the last couple of years and a big reason for Canfield's sustained success. Will it translate to the entire team? Who knows. I have no inside knowledge of the decision making process, but I'd be willing to bet Pav had input into it. It's a pretty solid coaching staff, so if they can keep most of them they will be fine.

You have a point there - depending on the school.

Question though, if a big part of being a HC is to formulate a game plan and execute the game plan, what's the point of a coordinator and what's their job specifics?

I've always disagreed with the "You must be a coordinator to qualify as a HC" statements. I agree with the "putting in your time aspect" but if you're not coordinating as a HC, why do you need coordinating experience? There are more ways to delegate job duties than being a coordinator, which, by the way, the HC still delegates the tasks in his program. Point being, the person who treats the kids the best, gets the best out of his players and coaches, can communicate and motivate, and is knowledgeable about the game should qualify, not whether or not you coordinated.
Very few schools have a Head Coach that does not coordinate / calls on one side of the ball. For example, you are telling me that the new HC at Harding called the plays at Hoban as the OC while Tyrell acted as Head Coach. Let's be serious. The vast majority of time the hiring of the Head Coach is through connections / networks / friendships / etc. Many great assistant coaches go unnoticed as potential head coaches due to a lack of connections & networking.

Hmmm...Three-and-a-half weeks until it could become official, although the story notes there could be a special meeting called before that for the purpose of approving the hiring. Let's hope things don't get derailed, especially after all the angst that's been spilled here the last two days. :sneaky:

Very few schools have a Head Coach that does not coordinate / calls on one side of the ball. For example, you are telling me that the new HC at Harding called the plays at Hoban as the OC while Tyrell acted as Head Coach. Let's be serious. The vast majority of time the hiring of the Head Coach is through connections / networks / friendships / etc. Many great assistant coaches go unnoticed as potential head coaches due to a lack of connections & networking.
Kinda to my point, the coordinating thing is overrated. Who'dya know????

I can’t say anything negative about Ignazio as a person and he did a solid job overall keeping kids in Boardman. But, his gameday coaching was below average. Head-scratching playcalls/gameplans.

And he had pretty good talent most of the years at Boardman and still couldn’t get over the 6 win hump. Under Ignazio Boardman just always seemed to find a way to lose 1-2 games they shouldn’t have.

This just seems like a very Boardman late 90’s-00’s hire where you hire from within rather than hiring the best candidate. Hard to believe Canfield wouldn’t have had a candidate w/ a little stronger resume or upside.

He’ll do a solid job, but I don’t see this hire striking the fear into any of the top D3 schools in the region.

Hard to believe Canfield wouldn’t have had a candidate w/ a little stronger resume or upside.
I wouldn't be surprised if things turned out very similarly to when he was coaching Boardman where he is not able to get the results he should get with the talent available to him.
If given the options of guys like Prologo and Baker and instead you go with a guy who consistently had talent but did nothing with it, who had teams easily capable of going 8-2 and making a run in region 5 and instead going 5-5 and losing by a blowout if they even make the playoffs.
Incidentally I am not on the same page with the Superintendent right now either and it has nothing to do with athletics. Just a lot of stupid decisions and stupid people as it pertains to Canfield Schools of late.
I wish I had something good to say about the hire and I wish I will have to take back everything and owe him an apology, but I have a feeling this won't turn out well. When Canfield hired Pav to take over I felt like he was the right guy a good guy for the job, and even though he was sometimes overly conservative with his offensive play calling, he generally did an excellent job over the past 25 years or so. The new coach will definitely have large shoes to fill.

All the massive change in the district is usually not a good sign . If a district wants to win, it starts at the top and they just failed their first test on choosing the right person to lead a amazing program.

Pro should be happy they didn’t hire him. Now the info coming out is ridiculous, pav controlled whole process. After speaking to 2 of the coaches I found out Pro had majority of staff staying on including Ciminero, he also offered to donate his coaches salary back to pay more coaches. The committee chose to create a job in the school for a ignazio who was 32-49 instead of a guy who’s coached in 4 state title games. This hire will cost the district just short of 100k when a proven winner was free. This committee including the superintendent chose to do this to appease pav.
I can only infer that pav was adamant that the next guy be a mediocre coach to protect his legacy.
My calculation has Pro coaching at Canfield for 16 years, 11 under Pav. Ignazio has been there 2. I’m so happy for Pro that he doesn’t have to deal with that administration going forward. And it seems Pav wants to control program he walked away from, that would not be good for Pro.
This situation is crazy coming out of a district that can’t pass a levy

Pro should be happy they didn’t hire him. Now the info coming out is ridiculous, pav controlled whole process. After speaking to 2 of the coaches I found out Pro had majority of staff staying on including Ciminero, he also offered to donate his coaches salary back to pay more coaches. The committee chose to create a job in the school for a ignazio who was 32-49 instead of a guy who’s coached in 4 state title games. This hire will cost the district just short of 100k when a proven winner was free. This committee including the superintendent chose to do this to appease pav.
I can only infer that pav was adamant that the next guy be a mediocre coach to protect his legacy.
My calculation has Pro coaching at Canfield for 16 years, 11 under Pav. Ignazio has been there 2. I’m so happy for Pro that he doesn’t have to deal with that administration going forward. And it seems Pav wants to control program he walked away from, that would not be good for Pro.
Im sure that Coach Prologo has had his fill of working under a bad administration. Enough for a lifetime in fact. Bad administrations seem to be an epidemic in our area. Administrators want their own little fifedoms with people they can control completely under them rather than people who will be best for the school and students.

I am a little surprised that Pav didn't want Pro to succeed him, as they are pretty close, or at least seemed to be. Ego is a helluva thing.

I don't know much about Ignazio but he has landed 2 of the 4 biggest public school jobs in the valley. Does sound like Pav was in on this process but I also don't think Ignazio should have to apologize for getting a teaching job, if that is happening. He didn't hire himself....one might argue that it actually shows the administration stepping up. Not sure it was a good idea to give that community more of a reason not to pass a levy.
I think a few lean years was in the cards regardless (no pun intended) but bringing him in as a teacher shows they will be patient through it. It sounds like a lot of those coaches were staying for Ignazio or Pro so not sure that made much of a difference, unless someone knows different. Hard to argue with Pro's track record and connections but I guess that's why they pay the supt the big bucks, to make decisions like this.

Pav thinks his legacy is his W-L record, when in reality it's dodging any team with a pulse in the regular season and hand-selecting a lessor of two coaches so he looks better when that coach fails. And I was bombarded by Canfield posters when I said Pav was soft.

What’s this emergency board meeting happening in Canfield tonight?

The truth will always come to light. The facts will be told in its entirety. The Canfield residents deserve the truth but more importantly those Canfield families that have young men on the football team. The Superintendent, certain board members, and the 5 person football committee will have to answer for it ultimately. Receipts were kept

This has nothing to do with Joe Ignazio. Don’t know the man or him as a coach. All I can judge him by is his record as a HC.

I will always stick up for Dominic Prologo. Nobody will ever question my loyalty to that man. Prologo isn’t on Yappi but the truth shall be told.

Last edited:
There was an outstanding candidate who didn't even get an interview. He coached youth football in Canfield for years with great success and always wanted to keep progressing up the ranks. However, he was shut out of a middle school coaching position at Canfield, so he moved to one of the area's elite programs to gain experience under a highly successful coach. But apparently that wasn't enough to warrant an interview. We'll see how this shakes out for Canfield football.

There was an outstanding candidate who didn't even get an interview. He coached youth football in Canfield for years with great success and always wanted to keep progressing up the ranks. However, he was shut out of a middle school coaching position at Canfield, so he moved to one of the area's elite programs to gain experience under a highly successful coach. But apparently that wasn't enough to warrant an interview. We'll see how this shakes out for Canfield football.
You lost me at little league coach 😂...in all seriousness, who is this person? Where did they coach?

I am so disappointed to live in such a crooked and dishonest school district. I will do everything in my power to ensure that everyone knows they made up a new $100,000 position for this new coach that does not currently exist so he can coach the team since his existing boardman job does not allow him to be available for practice! So if the district has an extra $100,000 to pay for a made up job they can find money to build this new school without raising my taxes and take this damn levy off the ballot!!

S
Hopefully this keeps Yappi afloat during the dog months as well as the JFK debacle did!
Still waiting on receiving that thank you card from Ursuline for D Taylor and Likens. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You might as well get a card ready to send Canfield now also for those 8th graders who will now dawn the 🍀

Ursuline doesn’t even have to do anything but continue to get able bodies

It’s a toss up in which administration is worse JFKs or Canfields. JFK walked away from State Championship appearances and playing true opponents. I guess they still take the top prize. At least they played South Range one last time

Pav thinks his legacy is his W-L record, when in reality it's dodging any team with a pulse in the regular season and hand-selecting a lessor of two coaches so he looks better when that coach fails. And I was bombarded by Canfield posters when I said Pav was soft.
IMG_3438.jpeg

Actually here’s his legacy. There’s absolutely zero any of you can say to diminish it. This thread is pure gold. Can’t wait for the meltdown down when Canfield dedicates Bob Dove Field at Mike Pavlansky Stadium. Since Spread All Day likes every nonsense post someone writes about Pav, I’ll spring for a Cocca’s pepperoni roll on dedication night for him if he comes.