Can people still voluntarily leave their families if they choose to?

Not sure if this is 100% true, but I heard like back before cell phones and computers were even invented, people could like “sneak” away from their families or choose to not be involved with them if they wanted? For example, a husband could tell their wife and kids like “I need to grab some milk from the grocery store. I’ll be right back” and then that person could just end up disappearing from the family for 25 years and never even bothering to return or come back home?

Do you know anyone in your family tree or family who maybe ever did something like this? Or tried to like remove or erase themselves from the family?

I think it still happens quite often. Many couples have separate bank accounts and stuff. When ones had enough, they can just leave. As many places hurting for workers, so many jobs, mainly construction are under the table so there no I-9 form or taxes so the SSN isn't hit. Heck, look at all the illegals in this country now. We have no idea who they are or how the got here, what they may be running from.

As one supervisor famously said to me, "Z, you can do anything you want to - anything - and I can't stop you. I can only make you wish you hadn't done it."

We've had people disappear from this neighborhood. One night they're zooming across lawns on their mufflerless 4 wheeler and the next, they're gone. Guess they kept driving.

That guy in Florda suspected of killing his girlfriend went off the grid for a bit.

The best way to disappear is to be someone noone wants to find. ? Leave a note, there are no life insurance policies. Leave the money in the bank except what you need to get some cash and a vehicle to take state routes for a bit. As already mentioned, 350 million people taxes even our computing power. They can't find five terrorists, they're not going to find you, uh, whomever you're talking about.