Buchtel vs Lutheran West Updates 3/18 (DII Championship)

By the way, all of these can be true at same time:
1. Buchtel did nothing wrong holding ball
2. West should have fouled to avoid it
3. Likely would have become a free throw contest
4. A shot clock would make an end of game situation as this much better

Whether you agree or disagree with how it ended. Buchtel played within the OHSAA rules governing the game. As some have suggested, there were ways available to counter it, but LW chose not to implement them. So give Buchtel the the trophy. That was a group of teens who dedicated a lot of time and effort to succeed. They deserve to be rewarded and were, for all their effort, and LW was just as good, just a tenth of a second late, on the final shot. GO GRIFFS !

Last edited:
I have no horse in this race and it was a great game. Holding for a lot of the last two minutes was not boring. It had tons of excitement and tactical moves by both teams. The Buchtel kid got fouled at the end and the LW kid got the ball knocked loose and fell over the ball. He still tapped it to his player who got the shot off just a tad late. Great game by two really good teams.

High school basketball is the only sport that in some regard is radically different than the other levels above it (shot clock). Don't blame teams, they are using the rules in place, but, a change has been needed for awhile, and the lack of a clock literally makes zero sense. It would be like football without a play clock or a 3 minute play clock
Without a play clock in football the offense could refuse to snap the ball and there is nothing the defense could do.

In basketball, the defense has several options if the offense tries to hold the ball.

So not a very good comparison on your part.

That ending is about as bad as it could have been.

1. Buchtel holds the ball for over 2 minutes
2. What seemed like a dozen timeouts were called
3. The officials bail Buchtel out with a touch call
4. Officials swallow the whistle at the other end with 1 second left

Just bad. It was a really good, competitive game between 2 evenly matched teams. Just an awful ending
😁

It certainly looked like #21 from Buchtel got his feet in there. There was also some contact on the body on a reach. I like the no-call, but in fairness you can't swallow the whistle on that play immediately after refusing to swallow the whistle on Buchtel's side of the court.
😢

There are many options. O only has five seconds to put the ball on the court. If LW found their best tactic was to let Buchtel hold, that's the choice they made. Worse comes to worse they can get possession by fouling, winning the points earned by shooting versus the max of two points earned at the foul line.

Why do the shot-clock people seem to ignore these options exist? Why take away from a wonderfully competitive game? Those were rhetorical. I know their answer. "I'm entertained when the game tactics are limited to shooting the ball, regardless it doesn't score more points." These people also keep their bishops and rooks off the board to make the game more interesting...
I am for a shot clock! but, very well said sir(y)

Without a play clock in football the offense could refuse to snap the ball and there is nothing the defense could do.

In basketball, the defense has several options if the offense tries to hold the ball.

So not a very good comparison on your part.
Plus the timers in a high school football game can't get that clock right...what happens when they have to do every rim touch in a basketball game

That ending is about as bad as it could have been.

1. Buchtel holds the ball for over 2 minutes
2. What seemed like a dozen timeouts were called
3. The officials bail Buchtel out with a touch call
4. Officials swallow the whistle at the other end with 1 second left

Just bad. It was a really good, competitive game between 2 evenly matched teams. Just an awful ending
Only awfully if not a 1040 fan! I thought it was excellently called game. Buchtel coach knew exactly what to do in the final 2 minutes.

Plus the timers in a high school football game can't get that clock right...what happens when they have to do every rim touch in a basketball game
The clock operators in high school can barely get the basics of game clock operation correct. Shot clock operation would be very interesting. In previous discussions about this on here some of the refs that frequent this place said they would possibly need a 4th official even.

Hey allworld! Where have you been? Congratulations to the Griffins on a great season and win. Very happy for you and hubman.

Two things according to the announcers: Coach Dent prior to the game eveidently was asked if he’d like to see the SC trophy in Akron. His reply was ‘I just go down the street.” (IMO very cool remark.) Secondly, in remarks on the followup show, they talked about STVM with so many championships while Buchtel just has one. I felt that was very disrespectful. Unnecessary to compare the teams at this point. Buchtel earned the trophy. Let them enjoy it. Lastly, TBT, I’m not sure the Irish would have beaten Buchtel this year had they played. Too many in the Griffs arsenal.

The clock operators in high school can barely get the basics of game clock operation correct. Shot clock operation would be very interesting. In previous discussions about this on here some of the refs that frequent this place said they would possibly need a 4th official even.
Let alone the cost to install the clocks and pay another individual to run said clock. It is a high school game where you play with the kids you have...sometimes you may have to use this approach. Pro and College they can pick and choose players for their team.

Tell the defense to come and get it. Looks like bunches of sour grapes around here.
No it sounds like a different opinion. Some basketball fans like the idea of a shot clock. Surely you know this. Nothing to do with sour grapes. I don't care who won..I am.a fan of a shot clock. Always have been always will be. It was invented for a reason.

W as
Let alone the cost to install the clocks and pay another individual to run said clock. It is a high school game where you play with the kids you have...sometimes you may have to use this approach. Pro and College they can pick and choose players for their team.
Let’s continue, and girls, JV, freshmen, MS games! Who is paying???

Congratulations Buchtel! And congratulations to Lutheran (Midpark) West too!
Berea-Midpark could have been scary good this year. On top of a couple of Lutheran West's players being from the Berea-Midpark district, so was St. Vincent-St. Mary's Lance Hayes.

Congrats to Buchtel and Lutheran West. Glad we got to see that in a state championship game and not a district final.

My question is how is Lutheran West D2. Their enrollment / competitive balance coordinator must have messed up. Somebody there is going to be called on the carpet to make sure it doesn't happen again. (tongue in cheek)....

My question is how is Lutheran West D2. Their enrollment / competitive balance coordinator must have messed up. Somebody there is going to be called on the carpet to make sure it doesn't happen again. (tongue in cheek)....
Lol, their coordinator, though, did do a great job in bumping them up to D3 in football (and into Region 10) and away from D4 where they would have been in the same region as Glenville.

I'm not a Lutheran West fan by anymeans but have to tip my cap to their administration which is making no bones about wanting to use athletics as a way to up their overall profile as a school.