Buchtel vs Lutheran West Updates 3/18 (DII Championship)

That ending is about as bad as it could have been.

1. Buchtel holds the ball for over 2 minutes
2. What seemed like a dozen timeouts were called
3. The officials bail Buchtel out with a touch call
4. Officials swallow the whistle at the other end with 1 second left

Just bad. It was a really good, competitive game between 2 evenly matched teams. Just an awful ending

That ending is about as bad as it could have been.

1. Buchtel holds the ball for over 2 minutes
2. What seemed like a dozen timeouts were called
3. The officials bail Buchtel out with a touch call
4. Officials swallow the whistle at the other end with 1 second left

Just bad. It was a really good, competitive game between 2 evenly matched teams. Just an awful ending
4. I caught the end of the game. Was the player that fell with the ball tripped? If not then he traveled which is what I thought I saw.

4. I caught the end of the game. Was the player that fell with the ball tripped? If not then he traveled which is what I thought I saw.

It certainly looked like #21 from Buchtel got his feet in there. There was also some contact on the body on a reach. I like the no-call, but in fairness you can't swallow the whistle on that play immediately after refusing to swallow the whistle on Buchtel's side of the court.

There needs to be a shot clock in high school basketball. You just can't have a game where one team holds the ball for the last 25% of the 4th quarter. can't seem to use their defense to take possession of the ball for 25% of the 4th quarter.

There are many options. O only has five seconds to put the ball on the court. If LW found their best tactic was to let Buchtel hold, that's the choice they made. Worse comes to worse they can get possession by fouling, winning the points earned by shooting versus the max of two points earned at the foul line.

Why do the shot-clock people seem to ignore these options exist? Why take away from a wonderfully competitive game? Those were rhetorical. I know their answer. "I'm entertained when the game tactics are limited to shooting the ball, regardless it doesn't score more points." These people also keep their bishops and rooks off the board to make the game more interesting...

High school basketball is the only sport that in some regard is radically different than the other levels above it (shot clock). Don't blame teams, they are using the rules in place, but, a change has been needed for awhile, and the lack of a clock literally makes zero sense. It would be like football without a play clock or a 3 minute play clock