Both teams assured of a possession in playoff overtime with rules change approved by NFL owners

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
NFL owners approved a modified proposal for overtime Tuesday that will guarantee each team a possession, but only in the postseason.

The rule for regular-season games, which allows the team with the first possession to win if it scores a touchdown, will remain unchanged.

My suggestion … Overtime … both teams get the ball, but the second team with the ball must go for the win if possible …
for example … Team A gets the ball first and scores a TD & decides to kick the PAT … that means Team B must go for two if they score
or … if Team A kicks a FG on the first position, Team B is not allowed to kick a FG on their possession
…. The only way the game goes beyond the first two possession if both teams don’t score or both team score a TD and 2 pt conversion
… after the first two possessions, it is sudden death.

I don't know that this rule changes much, fundamentally, since it is still sudden death after both teams have a possession and the score is still tied. If the first team scores a field goal and the next team scores a touchdown or fails to score a field goal, fine, game over. One team made plays and the other didn't.

But say you have two teams that score touchdowns on all of their possessions, including their first possessions in overtime. The first team scores a touchdown or field goal on their second possession and wins. If both teams have great offenses and bad defenses, we're still placing much emphasis on who had possession first. It's giving the coin toss too much power in determining which team wins.

For God's sake, just adopt the college overtime system and stop overthinking this.

Why can't they just play 1 - 10 minute OT qtr? If it's still tied after that then end the game in a tie. In the playoffs you keep playing until there is a winner at the end of the qtr.

I'm fully convinced the NFL just tweaks rules to keep the leagues name in the headlines. I'm astounded there has been so much discussion about the NFL's overtime rules??? First of all, they should have just stuck with the original sudden death rule, that's it. First team to score in OT wins, period! Simple.
Both teams had 60 minutes to win the stinking game. Why do we cry about things being fair???
The objective of overtime is to determine a winner, period. Not to be fair. If you don't like the coin flip, then win the game in regulation!! Or how about this. Visiting team gets the ball first in OT. Do away with the coin toss. If the home team can't win in regulation, then they don't deserve the ball first in OT. OR give the ball to the home team first, I don't care.

Why can't they just play 1 - 10 minute OT qtr? If it's still tied after that then end the game in a tie. In the playoffs you keep playing until there is a winner at the end of the qtr.
Because this is America and we need winners and losers! What do you think this is? Nimby Euro soccer stuff with their 0-0 ties?

I don't know that this rule changes much, fundamentally, since it is still sudden death after both teams have a possession and the score is still tied. If the first team scores a field goal and the next team scores a touchdown or fails to score a field goal, fine, game over. One team made plays and the other didn't.

But say you have two teams that score touchdowns on all of their possessions, including their first possessions in overtime. The first team scores a touchdown or field goal on their second possession and wins. If both teams have great offenses and bad defenses, we're still placing much emphasis on who had possession first. It's giving the coin toss too much power in determining which team wins.

For God's sake, just adopt the college overtime system and stop overthinking this.
I like the college idea of both teams getting a position. I think they need to move the starting point back, maybe the 40 or even 50, and eliminate some of the scoring.

Because this is America and we need winners and losers! What do you think this is? Nimby Euro soccer stuff with their 0-0 ties?
It's playoff football. You kind of do need a winner and loser. As you do in playoff soccer and have PKs after overtime.

Player safety HA. But I agree with you, just play an abbreviated quarter. Hell make it 8 minutes, that would give each team the ball roughly one time in the regular season. Make it 10 minutes in the Playoffs, but play it out until the clock hits 0.

If they insist on making it about possessions and allowing each team a chance, they ought to scrap the clock for OT and go the college route, but have them start from at least the 50 or the opposite 40.

If you don't like the coin flip, then win the game in regulation!! Or how about this. Visiting team gets the ball first in OT. Do away with the coin toss. If the home team can't win in regulation, then they don't deserve the ball first in OT. OR give the ball to the home team first, I don't care.
Agree with this. 100%.