Bishop Sycamore scheme was not a secret around here (Ohio)

Redhawk85

https://sports.yahoo.com/opinion-scam-sadly-bishop-sycamore-105816447.html

Yappi members have been calling this a scam for three years now. It is somewhat heartening to find out someone in authority has been doing the same. It is just as disheartening to learn all those warnings fell on deaf ears. I've been ripping on the athletic directors who knew or should have known who they were scheduling. Now we know they definitely knew everything.

From the article: "Given the chance of not playing a football game and morally supporting a scam," Ferree said, "the schools in Ohio choose to do the latter."

I think it's time for those athletic directors to answer for why they chose to put their students at risk, and disclose how much athletic budget or booster money went into Roy Johnson's pocket. The public schools owe the public an explanation, the private schools at least owe the parents an explanation.

St. Ignatius
St. Edward
Wayne
Lima Sr.
Massillon
Aurora
Hoban

The use of sports as incentive to draw disadvantaged youth to educational resources is good, if and only if the following adage is not in play:

Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive.

https://sports.yahoo.com/opinion-scam-sadly-bishop-sycamore-105816447.html

Yappi members have been calling this a scam for three years now. It is somewhat heartening to find out someone in authority has been doing the same. It is just as disheartening to learn all those warnings fell on deaf ears. I've been ripping on the athletic directors who knew or should have known who they were scheduling. Now we know they definitely knew everything.

From the article: "Given the chance of not playing a football game and morally supporting a scam," Ferree said, "the schools in Ohio choose to do the latter."

I think it's time for those athletic directors to answer for why they chose to put their students at risk, and disclose how much athletic budget or booster money went into Roy Johnson's pocket. The public schools owe the public an explanation, the private schools at least owe the parents an explanation.

St. Ignatius
St. Edward
Wayne
Lima Sr.
Massillon
Aurora
Hoban
I think all these people will be taken to task in time. Journalists are digging hard now, and documentaries will focus a little on this as well.

props to the schools like St. V that did the due diligence/listened and didn’t play these fools.

Definitely a Scam. Nobody to blame but the Leaders of BS and whoever else in a position of authority that let this crap continually go on. People are sometimes duped that’s why it’s called a Scam!

CRT teaches us that expecting disadvantaged minorities to follow the rules is racist.

Scheduling Bishop Sycamore is diverse.

You guys are so not woke.

Shame on you.
The rules weren’t made for everyone to be successful, just those already in power. ?

Last edited:
What are you most upset about?
Was it ...
• Not having 21 Div 1 players on the roster;
• They got to play on ESPN (I think it’s awesome!!!);
• Kids lied to about being part of a stable, legitimate program;
• That they were either home schooled or not attending school at all;
• Possibly 20 year olds on the team;
• It wasted the time and playing opportunities of Elite football programs;
• The coach has warrants;
• Jersey Joe.

I think there are teams/programs like this all over the country.

The schools should also be taken to task, IMO, about former player testimonials that indicate the kids were effectively cash-cows for Roy Johnson.

A glib comment one could make is these schools (COLLECTIVELY) indirectly, and inadvertently, enabled the activity of human trafficking.

Found the guy who's mad he can't say the N word in public anymore.
yeah. Ideally, after of ~4 years of discussing this saga and everyone on this board coming together (rarity) to call out the scam, we wouldn't have cranks capitalizing on the tragedy to push their social grievances through innuendo.

Lotta' kids (even if they are legally "adults", they're still kids in most common social contexts) got misled, and hurt, in the process of a charlatan's actions. Humiliated, disgraced and the most tangible avenue they knew toward getting out of bad situations just got closed off for good. Unsurprisingly, this is a 'win' for some folks.

Was it ...
• Jersey Joe.

I'll put it more succinctly:

They weren't what they said they were.

For traditional schools they played -

Massillon
St. Ignatius
St. Edward
Aurora
Warren Harding

Did they play anyone else?

Was it ...
• Jersey Joe.

If they were truthful about what they are, both to the players and to the public, more power to them.

Not surprising. Results matter more than ethics when it comes to Ohio High School sports. This is why schools like Hoban and Walsh let in players for various sports that can't meet their academic standards for enrollment.