Bill to regulate playoff ticket prices in the works

The most recent OHSAA audit (21-22 school year) on their website lists just over 14.7 mil in tournament expenses.
It tracks. For the boys basketball tournament alone there’s probably a rough estimate of 660 (might be a little more) tournament contests across the four divisions.

So if we are to presume the other three core, gendered sports (GBK, baseball and softball) each have the same amount of postseason games, thats 2,640 postseason games. The football playoffs, seven divisions combined, goes 224 (week 11) + 112 (week 12) + 56 (week 13) + 28 (week 14) + 14 (week 15) + 7 (state championships) = 441. That’s over 3,000 postseason games for just five sports in a given calendar.

Correct. Still, you thought it was $0, then guessed $200, and it’s 7.5x higher than that, so I hope you’re slightly more pleased than you were before.
Well I was being somewhat sarcastic lol it’s still nothing compared to what the ohsaa is going to make off these sham games they’re dressing up as playoff games this week.

220 games this weekend. 330k paid out by ohsaa. If 500 people show up on average that means ohsaa will profit just under 1 million…

Are you just going to continue flooding this thread with ignorant statements? The purpose of the revenue generated by the gate has MANY other targeted expenses other than just paying the host stadium.

And in general, the OHSAA needs to maintain a budget surplus to account for any unexpected shortfalls or expenses, otherwise they might have to unexpectedly cease operation or be unable to conduct sports. Non-Profit does not mean non-surplus. What in the world is wrong with you people?

It’s the principle of it. It’s public knowledge that the ohsaa has been millions ahead of their projected revenue the last few years yet they keep raising prices to make even more money. I understand that they need to make some profit but just how much do they “need”?

It’s the principle of it. It’s public knowledge that the ohsaa has been millions ahead of their projected revenue the last few years yet they keep raising prices to make even more money. I understand that they need to make some profit but just how much do they “need”?
As much as they can suck out of people. Trouble is they (OHSAA) are killing the "goose that laid the golden egg" rich yappsters don't think casual fans have a limit on what they will spend on a HS football tix or that price does not matter, it does.

Only People who understand that a non profit needs to make a profit to survive.
Looking at OHSAA’s board of directors meeting notes from January 12,2023 their ttl cash and investments on hand grew from $14M in 2022 to $19.1M in 2023. Ticket sales account for 78% of total revenue and if memory is correct has risen from $10 to $12, or 20% in 2023. If attendance remains static, 2023 year-end should show strong growth in liquid assets. https://ohsaaweb.blob.core.windows....tors-Minutes/2022-23/20230112BoardMinutes.pdf

At least you now acknowledge that they need to make a profit.

Now educate yourself on what they do with those profits. (which separates them from a for profit business/organization).

And the Hawaii angle isn't in play anymore ;)

Last edited:
220 games this weekend. 330k paid out by ohsaa. If 500 people show up on average that means ohsaa will profit just under 1 million…
Also have to factor in the price paid for all the officials to get a true cost assessment. But yeah, they’re gonna make most of their profit on football, just like every year.

IMG_2138.jpeg

Now educate yourself on what they do with those profits. (which separates them from a for profit business/organization).
No sarcasm here. Where is the line (if any) with how much they need to have/produce/profit?

You already acknowledged they don't NEED to make a profit by stating they just spin the wheels. Spinning the wheels connotes they are functioning and serving their purpose. Profit or surplus does not necessitate their survival. I have stated previously their right to establish an investment fund to protect against negative years. A 5 or 6 million yearly surplus has the appearance of fleecing schools and families to what end?

ITT, it's highlighted how many people REALLY don't know what a non-profit is, how they work, or even realize that they still need positive cashflow to run themselves.

Oh and OHSAA still sucks.

No sarcasm here. Where is the line (if any) with how much they need to have/produce/profit?
It’s what the organization does with the profits that matters. (That’s what differentiates a for profit versus a not for profit)

Most who criticize the OHSAA (and trust me, there is plenty to criticize) don’t have any idea what it takes to run an organization such as this….. or any business for that matter.

They’d rather whine on Yappi about HS ticket prices while they pay as much or more to see a movie or pay upwards of $15 for multiple beers at the ball park or stadium where their favorite MLB or NFL team plays.

I’ve argued this point personally with the latter on a number of occasions.

What it boils down to is if you don't like it....... don't go.

Last edited:
Just my opinion but these different prices for online and cash purchases is all about the schools and the OSHAA trying to force everyone to purchase online. It's not about a few dollar price difference. It's about these entities punishing and getting even with those who passed the bills and those wanting to pay cash for not going along. I knew this would happen. The original bill should have stated there would be a minimal or zero difference in prices for online and cash purchases. Politicians are idiots.

Just my opinion but these different prices for online and cash purchases is all about the schools and the OSHAA trying to force everyone to purchase online. It's not about a few dollar price difference. It's about these entities punishing and getting even with those who passed the bills and those wanting to pay cash for not going along. I knew this would happen. The original bill should have stated there would be a minimal or zero difference in prices for online and cash purchases. Politicians are idiots.
Who votes for them?