Biggest Surprises/Biggest Disappointments through 5

Dover... looking at 3 losing seasons in 4 years. Prolly will not make the playoffs this year. Huge disappointment

Maybe the bottom half, and that is a huge maybe. Wouldn't touch the top tier D2 teams.

They already beat 2 D3s this year, and Wapakoneta is easily as good as the lower top half of D2s.

Sure they wouldn't touch the Hobans and Massillons. But they'd compete well with someone like Xenia, who's currently 4-1 and towards the top of their region.

Even if they lost to Marysville, AW, Whitmer and Findlay this season they would still go 6-4, not sure how 4-6 would even be possible with their schedule. Not sure they deserve to be called a surprise for beating 4 teams they should beat every year and 2-3 Marysville even if they are playing well.
Again, I know this team well (or at least I thought I did...LOL) and I saw "potential" losses to Marysville and Southview and thought Fremont Ross/Clay could be tough games. I mean, they have a QB this year with basically zero Varsity experience other than some mop up duty last year when all they did was run the ball during a running clock. Again, they are MUCH better than I thought they would be, thus those games look much easier now that we've seen how good they have played.

D7 isn’t even real football.
WYJS.png

My favorite games to watch are the smaller schools - Div. V-VII. And its likely where you'll find some of the best crowds, student sections, hospitality, etc.
What you stated is true and I have personally experienced no better hospitality than small-town high school football whether it was at a local restaurant in town or at the game itself. It just goes with the territory.

I'm surprised that:
1. Pickerington Central is lil' brother to Pickerington North this year. I don't read much regarding Central Ohio so I didn't know there was a shift in talent/coaching in the city.
2. Norton is ranked #5 in DIII. The Panthers having a decent football team still doesn't compute with me.
3. Canton Central Catholic is 3-2 after defeating Alliance. Did anyone think the Crusaders were going to win last week?
Norton is solid, but once they face real competition in the playoffs, they get blown out. Happens all the time.

You're joking or don't know football what so ever. Marion Local would beat half the teams in D2.
Then why doesn't Marion Local move up to a more competitive division? It seems like OHSAA can't figure it out, with numerous teams in wrong divisions. TCC moved down to D3?? Glenville in D4?? Hoban not moving up to D1? It's all silly. This 'competitive balance' thing is a farce.

He's not wrong in saying D7 isn't real football. You're fooling yourself to think it is.
You may find a few decent teams, but come on, go watch 99% of D7 football and try to convince yourself it's better than the Thanksgiving Turkey Bowl with your buddies.

Then why doesn't Marion Local move up to a more competitive division? It seems like OHSAA can't figure it out, with numerous teams in wrong divisions. TCC moved down to D3?? Glenville in D4?? Hoban not moving up to D1? It's all silly. This 'competitive balance' thing is a farce.

He's not wrong in saying D7 isn't real football. You're fooling yourself to think it is.
You may find a few decent teams, but come on, go watch 99% of D7 football and try to convince yourself it's better than the Thanksgiving Turkey Bowl with your buddies.
Ignorance is bliss

Norton is solid, but once they face real competition in the playoffs, they get blown out. Happens all the time.

Yep. 9-0 in 21, 1 seed and lost 28-0 to Holy Name. Then 8-2, 6 seed last year and lost 35-7 to Padua.

I'll give them props for beating Clyde but they're not a threat in the region.

Highland is one of the D2s Marion Local would beat. 😉

Sorry to old to be playing football with my buddies. Like I said about the original poster and I will say about you. Either you're joking or know nothing about football. I welcome you to come watch a MAC game. Now before you start to judge, I want to say I'm not apart of any team in the MAC. I support Sidney football and the MAC champion this year would probably win the MVL and probably be 2nd or 3rd in the league every year. I stand by my statement that they would beat half the teams in D2. Yes they wouldn't beat a Massillon, Avon, LaSalle and WW. What maybe 10 teams in D2 would give them a competitive game.

What you stated is true and I have personally experienced no better hospitality than small-town high school football whether it was at a local restaurant in town or at the game itself. It just goes with the territory.
Sorry but Im out on games regularly and those crowds suck…. Always.

Let me say it for those in the back. D7
Isn’t real football.

110 teams in D7… about 95 of them need to consolidate.

AND A LOT MORE GRASS. I STILL LOVE TO WATCH A GAME ON A
WELL MANICURED GRASS FIELD.
West Holmes is building a field house to be able to practice on turf since so many games anymore are played on it, but I’ve been told they’ll never get rid of their grass field. At this point it’s a literal home field advantage. Haven’t lost at home since November 2019.

I see a ball that's egg shaped and kids throw it and run with it. Looks like football to me.
I see my 3 year old out in the yard with his cousins with a ball that's shaped like an egg. They even throw and run with it.

But it's not real football.

That the news people are still giving East Palestine coverage-but no one here is. I'm not sure what you would consider it.

I see my 3 year old out in the yard with his cousins with a ball that's shaped like an egg. They even throw and run with it.

But it's not real football.
I see some out of prime, possibly/probably grumpy millennial man who wants to downgrade what kids at the lower levels do just because they don't go on to play at the next level. Sounds like you probably didnt get playing time after freshman ball so you want to downgrade the accomplishments and skills of others especially teenage kids. Football in the lower divisions is more team oriented not individual player oriented like D1.

Highland is one of the D2s Marion Local would beat. 😉
I see some out of prime, possibly/probably grumpy millennial man who wants to downgrade what kids at the lower levels do just because they don't go on to play at the next level. Sounds like you probably didnt get playing time after freshman ball so you want to downgrade the accomplishments and skills of others especially teenage kids. Football in the lower divisions is more team oriented not individual player oriented like D1.

He's just jealous his school somehow can go 10-0, get blasted when they play a real team, and would lose to ML (and Coldwater. And Versailles.)