Big ten Hoops

Credibility wise I do think the Big Ten needs somebody to win it all, but in many ways IMO it shouldn't be that way.

This league's been very good in recent years and this year may be as good as it's ever been IMO in terms of quality depth. It's still early, but I think they get at least 10 teams into the tournament and depending on how things shake out, possibly as many as 12. I expect that to reflect itself in league play throughout the year as it's been a meat grinder so far, and just about anyone can knock anyone off if you don't play fairly well on any given day.

To further nww's point I did a breakdown of the tourney winners, championship appearances and Final 4 appearances by conference since 2015, for a 5 year sample since the 2020 tourney wasn't played:

Winners:
ACC - 3 (Duke, UNC, Virginia)
Big East - 2 (Nova x 2)

Runner ups:
Big 10 - 2 (Wisky, Mich)
ACC - 1 (UNC)
Big 12 -1 (TTU)
WCC - 1 (Zaga)

Final Four Appearances, outside the above listed programs:
SEC - 3 (UK, S. Carolina, Auburn)
Big 10 - 2 (MSU x 2)
Big 12 - 2 (OU, Kansas)
ACC - 1 (Syracuse)
PAC 12 - 1 (Oregon)
MVC - 1 (Loyoal)

So when it comes to post season success I think it's fair to say the Big 10 is running 2nd/3rd. Do Nova's 2 titles lift the rest of the Big East over the Big 10's 0 titles, 2 different runner ups and 3rd team with 2 FF appearances?

Michigan & Iowa are FF caliber teams. There’s a few other teams that are also very good. There’s really not a “bad” team in the Conference. Even Rutgers isn’t all that bad.

To further nww's point I did a breakdown of the tourney winners, championship appearances and Final 4 appearances by conference since 2015, for a 5 year sample since the 2020 tourney wasn't played:

Winners:
Big East - 2 (Nova x 2)

Runner ups:
Big 10 - 2 (Wisky, Mich)
ACC - 1 (UNC)
Big 12 -1 (TTU)
WCC - 1 (Zaga)

Big 10 - 2 (MSU x 2)
Big 12 - 2 (OU, Kansas)
ACC - 1 (Syracuse)
PAC 12 - 1 (Oregon)
MVC - 1 (Loyoal)

So when it comes to post season success I think it's fair to say the Big 10 is running 2nd/3rd. Do Nova's 2 titles lift the rest of the Big East over the Big 10's 0 titles, 2 different runner ups and 3rd team with 2 FF appearances?
Good information and yes, you are correct, the national champ should not get as much play, but it does. That's just the way we evaluate. At least in hoops, because you can get so many more teams in the tournament, the depth really plays itself out. Now the one thing I like about the tourney is how the better teams have higher seeds, it really makes the regular season important. The fringe fans don't care as long as their team makes the big dance, but realistically, if you're not a top 4-5 seed, you really have a difficult road getting to the title game, as it should be. Interesting that Wisconsin/ Michigan State are the two programs who've had success from the big ten over the past 5 years. What's consistent about those programs? They tend to not have many one and dones, they play defense and are generally rugged teams.

Winners:
Big East - 2 (Nova x 2)

Runner ups:
Big 10 - 2 (Wisky, Mich)
ACC - 1 (UNC)
Big 12 -1 (TTU)
WCC - 1 (Zaga)

Big 10 - 2 (MSU x 2)
Big 12 - 2 (OU, Kansas)
ACC - 1 (Syracuse)
PAC 12 - 1 (Oregon)
MVC - 1 (Loyoal)

Nobody would say the Big East is better than the Big Ten the last 5-6 years. Nova is a great program, but the rest of the conference is not good - bottom 3-4 in the Big Ten would be competitive in the Big East.

It is ACC or Big Ten most years, and clearly the Big Ten this year. I agree with you that a Big Ten team closing the deal and winning this year would add emphasis to the argument.