Best Golf Instructors in Cincinnati

Hulk

There are many other places on the net to ask questions like this, and I thought some people on here might have some opinions.

Who are some good golf instructors in the Cincinnati area? I'm thinking about taking my first lessons since I was about 8 years old and don't want to waste the money on someone who's not very helpful.

um if u r taking ur first lesson since u ere 8 it wont matter that much at the very beginning. all they will work on is the basics and any pro can give u the fundamentals. What do u shoot? HOw good are you? these things all matter

Well I usually shoot between 82-86, maybe a little higher at a tougher course. I don't have a registered handicap but my index is about 9 and has been as low as 6. The problem is I could go out one day and shoot 77 from the tips and the next day shoot 93. I'm trying to get rid of the 93's.

I've got a self taught swing that is very quick with the hands at the bottom, so if my timing is off a little, like it usually is at the beginning of the season, I end up either pulling the ball or slicing it. It's very likely that its gonna be hard and more effort that its worth to retool my swing from scratch but I'd like a few pointers to hopefully make me a little more consistent without sacrificing the parts of my game I like (Length being the number one).

I recommend John Leach from Traditions. I go to him probably once a month and thats all I need. Granted he is in northern kentucky and is about $60 an hour I feel he is well worth it (usually he doesnt keep track of time so you go for about 90 minutes). I know for a fact he teaches golfers from + handicaps to 20 handicaps so your skill level doesn't really matter either. He comes from an incredible golf background growing up in pinehurst so I highly recommend checking him out.

It really depends on what kind of feedback you want. Do you want someone with a more hands on approach that actually moves you to correct positions or would you rather have someone who primarily uses video. Personally I think the best teachers (those that you will find the most long lasting consistant results) or the ones who use a more hands on approach and may lightly supplement video as well.

Hulk: If you have very handsy swing and still generate a lot of distance than you probably won't really sacrifice much distance even if you attemp a major swing overhaul. Look at the professionals that aren't big but hit it extremely long and how much they use wrist angle and hand speed to generate club head speed. (Sergio, Michelle Wie, Charles Howell, etc.).

I know the two pros at Kenwood have a teching philosophy in which they don't try to make you swing like anyone else (many teachers try to emulate certain pro's swings) but lay down the fundamentals and can show you how to get better within your own swing. I would expect them to be more expensive when compared to some of the other pros in town considering of where they works.

Hope this helps

In my opinion golf tec is a great place to get a lesson at. I started going there about a year and a half ago and my game has really improved. The visual feedback you get really gives you a great idea of what swing flaws you have and that makes it much easier to fix them. Another plus to the program is that all of you lessons are posted on the internet so you can check if you forgot what you were supposed to be working on.

i would say that sean english is the best teacher in cincy, but i am partial because he succsesfully overhauled my swing. he works out of kenwood and puts an emphasis on creating a repeatable swing

ive jumped from instructor to instructor and got a general idea of why things go wrong when they do go wrong. i think instructors do help but getting a steady practice routine would be more beneficial

My opinion is that if you are not going to get out and practice at least a couple times a week than there is no need for you to get a lesson, before you get a lesson you need to have a few rounds under your belt so that you have a general idea of what problems that you need to fix. If you come in to a lesson with a general idea about what you are doing wrong that instructor is much more likely to be able help you. The worst thing for a person to do is get a lesson and not have played in a while. So just get out and play a few rounds or hit a few balls at the range and then go get your lesson.

i agree golf4 that u need to have played going in to a lesson. but rick smith the famous golf instructor said that 90% of amateurs are practicing the wrong things. so it makes sense to get a lesson or 2 to figure out what u need to work on in those practice sessions.

It really depends on what kind of feedback you want. Do you want someone with a more hands on approach that actually moves you to correct positions or would you rather have someone who primarily uses video. Personally I think the best teachers (those that you will find the most long lasting consistant results) or the ones who use a more hands on approach and may lightly supplement video as well.

Hulk: If you have very handsy swing and still generate a lot of distance than you probably won't really sacrifice much distance even if you attemp a major swing overhaul. Look at the professionals that aren't big but hit it extremely long and how much they use wrist angle and hand speed to generate club head speed. (Sergio, Michelle Wie, Charles Howell, etc.).

I know the two pros at Kenwood have a teching philosophy in which they don't try to make you swing like anyone else (many teachers try to emulate certain pro's swings) but lay down the fundamentals and can show you how to get better within your own swing. I would expect them to be more expensive when compared to some of the other pros in town considering of where they works.

Hope this helps

As a young professional i agree with your assement. Video (or dvd set up) is an excellent tool in conjuncture with hands on work.

p.s. Larry Drehs at Hyde Park Country Club is a ---- of a teacher and Ron Dumas out of Avon and Reeves are the two best i have seen/heard through conversation and work.

Last edited:
i would recomend sean english from kenwood, hes is a ---- of a teacher, and is a good player so he knows what it feels like to play the correct way

I worked with a number of instructors, including Sean English (not nearly as good of a teacher as he is a player) and Nathan Delany (Anderson H.S. coach) at Kenwood, before coming to Mike Dieters.

Mike was at Golf Galaxy Tri-County for a while, but is now at Meadow Links.

Mike has a way of tailoring his speech to the student with whom he is working...so if you have a firm grasp of your swing, he'll give some pretty in-depth info. Like the comments made previously about English, Mike will take the swing that you currently have and make it more efficient and repeatable.

Just my opinion.

pat daly is the best instructor in cincinnati. he has more savvy in his pinky then most pga tour pros do in their whole body. geoff hensley also has savvy

Sean Arthur the old head pro at Glenview is a great teacher along with being a very good golfer. Thats who i go to.

for your short game Will Johnson out of madden g.c. in dayton. i have never seen a man get up and down so much in my life

Sean Arthur the old head pro at Glenview is a great teacher along with being a very good golfer. Thats who i go to.

I agree!!! I worked for Sean when he was at Avon Fields and watched him in action. Shame he is up at Pipestone.

Yea i played with him last summer when he was still at glenview and he had a birdie on the first 5 holes and he made it look easy. I still get lessons from him i just meet him at glenview.

Yea i played with him last summer when he was still at glenview and he had a birdie on the first 5 holes and he made it look easy. I still get lessons from him i just meet him at glenview.

He was scary good. He plays so rarely but has an easy repeatable swing that makes me sick