Best and worst offenses in HS football (scheme not team)

Best and worst offensive scheme? Kind of a trick question because any scheme can be affective if ran with discipline, has the correct personnel, and called by an OC with situational awareness in a game.

The “worst scheme” is really any that doesn’t match the personnel on the roster and coached by someone who isn’t willing to adapt with what they have from year to year. The “best” is anything that’s the opposite of that. Kind of obvious and cliche but sometimes cliches are cliches because they’re true.

You can have core concepts that budge little to not at all but you still have to tweak things from year to year based on what you got and be able to call situational plays that put your team in the best chance of success. That can look much different from team to team….Oh yeah, and the players still have to execute.

The “wing t” or “triple option” are likely popular answers for the worst. However, even that when ran with discipline and precision can be beautiful to watch in my opinion.

It’s about winning games at the end of the day. Whatever gets the W.

Best and worst offensive scheme? Kind of a trick question because any scheme can be affective if ran with discipline, has the correct personnel, and called by an OC with situational awareness in a game.

The “worst scheme” is really any that doesn’t match the personnel on the roster and coached by someone who isn’t willing to adapt with what they have from year to year. The “best” is anything that’s the opposite of that. Kind of obvious and cliche but sometimes cliches are cliches because they’re true.

You can have core concepts that budge little to not at all but you still have to tweak things from year to year based on what you got and be able to call situational plays that put your team in the best chance of success. That can look much different from team to team….Oh yeah, and the players still have to execute.

The “wing t” or “triple option” are likely popular answers for the worst. However, even that when ran with discipline and precision can be beautiful to watch in my opinion.

It’s about winning games at the end of the day. Whatever gets the W.
I mean best for a program to adopt that has up and down talent. Like what offense gives you the best chance to be consistent with inconsistent talent

I mean best for a program to adopt that has up and down talent. Like what offense gives you the best chance to be consistent with inconsistent talent
Yeah, I get what you’re saying still a little broad for an honest answer. How up and down are you? And how long are each periods of “up” and “down” respectively? (Asking rhetorically)

Even then, regardless if you’re up or down you likely still have strengths and weaknesses. Even juggernauts tend to have things they’re less proficient at than other things and even the worst of the worst probably has some things they’re less crappy at than others.

The name of the game is highlighting the strength of a roster in a given year while trying to improve (if possible) or hide the weaknesses. Probably more importantly, knowing your opponent’s strengths and weaknesses and what puts you in the best possible chance of success against them. There’s no magic one size fits all scheme for what you’re asking.

“What are the matchups this week that put us in a chance of success?” and “What do I think my opponent will attempt to do to stop me? Do we have an opportunity to call something they may not expect while in a matchup we like?” Those are always the million dollar questions.

If you can’t control the line of scrimmage, everything tends to be hard to do.

If you’re talking consistency and consistency alone and that’s all you care about? Probably the triple option or wing-t. Have everyone in your program from peewee to varsity run it and you’ll likely be proficient at something that is a pain for opponents to prep for. It isn’t the most exciting brand of football to many but I think on scheme alone it’s a smarter offense than many give it credit for. It would still be wise to have some wrinkles based on talent you have in a given year. If you have a random stud WR one year find a way to use him still even if you’re a triple option team.

In college, the service academies tend to be down on raw talent vs most FBS so they run the triple option. Coastal Carolina basically runs the option but out of a spread and they still pass plenty.

If I were to start a program from scratch that had up and down talent I’d probably run Coastal Carolina’s offense as a base but still have basic packages where I’d have my QB under center when I felt like it…and tweak accordingly from year to year based on what’s on the roster talent wise.