Bergen Catholic NJ at Hoban on 8/27

Hoban is one of the best teams in the state. Bergen is one of the best teams in the country. Hoban will put up a strong fight but Bergen is a huge hill to climb.

I hope no one is holding their breath waiting for Jersey F(liar) to return to the BS thread to come clean.
As the preseason #10 team in America, BC will be the clear favorite on Friday night. Enjoy!! #PGL

Suspect this game to either be like the first St Ed’s Hoban game in 2016(?), a massive defensive battle, or BC comes and exposes the Hoban secondary. Either way I think Hoban will be ready to play, as they have always showed up to for the big games. Their coaches are very good at coaching them to their best potential, but BC is going to be a team unlike Hoban has ever seen before. Looking forward to this game.
Ps. Flo Sports is a very legit steaming service. Only reason I don’t want to buy this game is because of Jersey and the whole BS charade.
This is an appropriate comparison. Much like Hoban’s early games (both losses) in 2016 (St. Edward) and 2017 (St. Ignatius) the Knights, despite defending a state title both years, were and are finding their way with several newer and younger guys getting their first experience under the lights against a more seasoned and traditionally strong opponent who is the decided road favorite.

Both of those games were low scoring defensive battles. This will be a good litmus test for Hoban going forward, but both of those games taught the Knights a lot and those seasons ended up working out pretty well. Not saying this will be the same…every year is different…but looking forward to seeing the long term/season benefit of playing a National Power with a somewhat untested group.

If Hoban can hang with them through 3 quarters I will be very impressed. I just can't see it happening, too much speed and too much depth coming down from New Jersey.

This is an appropriate comparison. Much like Hoban’s early games (both losses) in 2016 (St. Edward) and 2017 (St. Ignatius) the Knights, despite defending a state title both years, were and are finding their way with several newer and younger guys getting their first experience under the lights against a more seasoned and traditionally strong opponent who is the decided road favorite.

Both of those games were low scoring defensive battles. This will be a good litmus test for Hoban going forward, but both of those games taught the Knights a lot and those seasons ended up working out pretty well. Not saying this will be the same…every year is different…but looking forward to seeing the long term/season benefit of playing a National Power with a somewhat untested group.
I agree with the 2017 assessment, that was Hamm's first ever start, and he looked every bit the freshman he was. And even though they were loaded with talent, they were still sorting out their back 7 on D. In 2016, that team was experienced and had a lot back, and had just beaten McKinley by 4 TD's in week 1. They simply gave that Ed's game away. They pushed them around most of the night & dominated statistically, they just continually turned the ball over in the red zone, dropped balls that would've been TD's and missed FG's. That's the only game during this run where I've seen Hoban beat themselves. I think they were the best team in the state that year, even though they were D3 at the time. Anyway, I think this team is clearly Tyrrell's biggest reload project since 2015. There were kids on that field in the first half last week that physically didn't look like varsity football players, which has definitely been a rarity. His teams always get noticeably better as the year goes on, and I have no doubt this one will, but they have plenty to sort out and improve on, especially on D. I suspect this game will function much like Iggy did in 2017, and provide them with a tool that benefits their growth as the season goes on.

I agree with the 2017 assessment, that was Hamm's first ever start, and he looked every bit the freshman he was. And even though they were loaded with talent, they were still sorting out their back 7 on D. In 2016, that team was experienced and had a lot back, and had just beaten McKinley by 4 TD's in week 1. They simply gave that Ed's game away. They pushed them around most of the night & dominated statistically, they just continually turned the ball over in the red zone, dropped balls that would've been TD's and missed FG's. That's the only game during this run where I've seen Hoban beat themselves. I think they were the best team in the state that year, even though they were D3 at the time. Anyway, I think this team is clearly Tyrrell's biggest reload project since 2015. There were kids on that field in the first half last week that physically didn't look like varsity football players, which has definitely been a rarity. His teams always get noticeably better as the year goes on, and I have no doubt this one will, but they have plenty to sort out and improve on, especially on D. I suspect this game will function much like Iggy did in 2017, and provide them with a tool that benefits their growth as the season goes on
Good points. There was a lot to replace in 16 (Kepler, Morris, Gilchrist, et al) but they were certainly more primed at some key spots early on as compared to ‘17, as you noted. The whole FG sequence at the end in ‘16 still keeps me up at night, lol. But it all worked out.

Looking forward to learning where Hoban stands based on Friday’s showing.

Tell me about Bergen. What are their strengths? QB? O Line? Depth? All of the above? Based on some of the comments it seems that Hoban would be fortunate to keep this one close which is certainly something that Hoban is not accustomed to.

Tell me about Bergen. What are their strengths? QB? O Line? Depth? All of the above? Based on some of the comments it seems that Hoban would be fortunate to keep this one close which is certainly something that Hoban is not accustomed to.

I don’t know much about BC, but IMO Hoban has the edge with having a game under their belt and playing at home.

I wish this was being streamed or televised. Yes, I am cheap. I don’t want to pay for it. I suppose if I wasn’t lazy and old I could just go see the game in person at Hoban.

If Hoban can hang with them through 3 quarters I will be very impressed. I just can't see it happening, too much speed and too much depth coming down from New Jersey.
Same holds true for Hoban, although they lost 4 year starting quarterback to Graduation and RB who is at Arizona State

I love this matchup. Between this game, and the La Salle/IMG game, it brings back memories of the Herbstreit event. Looking forward to watching Hoban in person for the first time.

Agree. Both games can be watched on FloSports. Game links below:

I love this matchup. Between this game, and the La Salle/IMG game, it brings back memories of the Herbstreit event. Looking forward to watching Hoban in person for the first time.
I agree. I really enjoy that top high school programs from various states are playing eachother. makes for a good barometer. The national polls are nice, but obviously very subjective. From Ohio but now live in Florida. Love the LaSalle vs IMG match-up but also feel this may not be a LaSalle team that they have had last few years. Would love to see Hoban, ST X, St Ed's in Ohio play IMG, although, more thank likely, they would not win, would still be fun to see.