Benedictine 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations to our All Ohio Bengals!

I heard Kareem Jennings looks out of shape at the BBALL games? Anyone have an opinion?

All Ohio Awards>

1st Team:
Derell Bedingfield

3rd Team:
CeeJay Yarboro
Marvin Conkle (As a DB)

Honorable Mention:
Brandon Boyd
Anthony Illiano

Don't read too much into this, this thing has gotten very political. Some teams have a sheet load of players with some very questionable choices.
Boyd honorable mention is unbelievable...smh

Last edited:
This looks like a possible rebuilding year for the basketball team, but what team wouldn't be rebuilding after losing five or six starter-level players? Coach Salata and the team deserve our patience. Based on what I've seen at one practice and one game, this team doesn't resemble any Benedictine team I've seen in many years. Coach Salata's X's and O's expertise (and that of his staff) was immediately apparent to me at the John Hay game (I missed the opener). The team has bought into what he is teaching, and I expect them to improve at executing it. The team's passing was crisp and quick. They always seemed to identify the open man. In the half court, they ran plays that left players wide open. No matter what the opposing defense did, they never looked confused. It was refreshing. There was no 1-on-1 offensive basketball. They have a system and they play like a team. Once they figure this out, they'll be solid. And, once the overall skill level increases, they will be scary. Give them some time. Perhaps they won't make a deep playoff run this year, but I believe that will happen soon. They finally run an offensive system that doesn't rely on one or two studs to bail us out. I know it's very early in his tenure, but Coach Salata looks like a long-term answer to me.

The key for Salata's success will be getting kids interested in the school and his program. Xs and Os are nice but Jimmies and Joes are more important.

This looks like a possible rebuilding year for the basketball team, but what team wouldn't be rebuilding after losing five or six starter-level players? Coach Salata and the team deserve our patience. Based on what I've seen at one practice and one game, this team doesn't resemble any Benedictine team I've seen in many years. Coach Salata's X's and O's expertise (and that of his staff) was immediately apparent to me at the John Hay game (I missed the opener). The team has bought into what he is teaching, and I expect them to improve at executing it. The team's passing was crisp and quick. They always seemed to identify the open man. In the half court, they ran plays that left players wide open. No matter what the opposing defense did, they never looked confused. It was refreshing. There was no 1-on-1 offensive basketball. They have a system and they play like a team. Once they figure this out, they'll be solid. And, once the overall skill level increases, they will be scary. Give them some time. Perhaps they won't make a deep playoff run this year, but I believe that will happen soon. They finally run an offensive system that doesn't rely on one or two studs to bail us out. I know it's very early in his tenure, but Coach Salata looks like a long-term answer to me.
Fresh start is nice . For all the kids that transferred out , ✌?.
Coach Salata will do great things .

Just have to cut down on turnovers.

From what I have heard the freshman basketball team is really good. I have not checked them out yet but will next Friday . They beat Fairview yesterday 65-12. St Eds will be a nice test.

From what I have heard the freshman basketball team is really good. I have not checked them out yet but will next Friday . They beat Fairview yesterday 65-12. St Eds will be a nice test.
Definitely a different sight with no freshmen on the JV team this year. But I love the idea of fostering a culture that develops teams at all 3 levels to be winners, rather than developing a few individuals to be great basketball players.

The basketball team deserves its own thread. I've moved the discussion to the basketball forum. You're welcome to share your thoughts there.

Definitely a different sight with no freshmen on the JV team this year. But I love the idea of fostering a culture that develops teams at all 3 levels to be winners, rather than developing a few individuals to be great basketball players.
Maybe there isn't a player worthy of JV yet?

Question? I cant find any information on the history of it.
What year did Benedictine start going by the moniker of Home of Champions? At that point, how many team titles did the school have? How many team titles does the school have now?
It started (in the 50s?) when Benedictine won the Cleveland City Championship in 3 different sports in 3 different season in a single school year. So the name didn’t have anything to do with state championships at the time, but our prowess within the city (which was a bigger deal at the time because Massillon was winning the state title anyway). We won our first title in ‘57 but I’m not 100% sure when the timeline matches up.
Benedictine has 13 state championships currently.

I don’t know. I went to the game in Erie and he sure did look like he’s out on some bad weight. He played well, but I would like to see him lean out some unless he plans to play OL or more of an interior set of DL.
He's not even close to being "heavy" . He's 6"4" and 235 lbs. If you were at the "games" in Erie you were there with about 6 parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.