Benedictine 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an interesting game in that these two teams are almost mirrors of each other. I'm not 100% up on what TCC has this year but from what I have heard they have the athletes all over the field and can compete with anyone when it comes to team speed. On the down side they don't return much from LY on either side of the ball and they don't have the depth that you are use to seeing in Div II. On a related note, Both TCC and Benedictine are easily the smallest schools in Div II when looking at the raw number of boys: TCC comes in at 219 and Benny at 261 . With competitive balance added TCC is 9 spots from Div III and Benny 2 spots from Div III. As a comparison another top 10 team, Fitch, has 549 boys. That is double the amount these two have. While I am far from crying as these schools do have an advantage when it comes to pulling in students they just don't have the numbers to keep up with these much larger schools and I think the CB factor needs to be looked at in the future.
I think you need to start taking notice of the Benedictine team speed

I think you need to start taking notice of the Benedictine team speed
I knew about the speed on the outside with the track athletes Benedictine has; the linemen, especially when they swing to the defensive side of ball, has been above average.

A couple thoughts on the game>

It appears Benny changed up on defense. They went to an odd man front and added a pocket rocket, #38, to some sort of hybrid position behind the WDE, the kid just shoots the gap and tries to cause havoc. I do not remember seeing this during the Walsh game. Also this Kareem Jennings has to be on the field for all defensive snaps, I do not remember a Sophomore linemen standing out like this in a long time.

Never would have thought it would be the case but it looks like Benny is turning into a QB school. Yarboro is the real deal and could be one of the biggest surprises of the early season in NEO. Doesn't have the measurables to be a high level NCAA QB but man I would take this kid at a Div II or III program.

Cora kicks PATs and FGs off the deck? Why doesn't he use a tee if allowed?

Only major concern at this time is it seems to be when these big fellows slide over to the OL, they don't have flash the same speed as they do when on the DL. Also they appear gassed in the 2nd and 4th quarters. I know it was very hot and humid but they will need some sort of deeper rotation when they play these larger Div II pubs that only platoon.

A couple thoughts on the game>

It appears Benny changed up on defense. They went to an odd man front and added a pocket rocket, #38, to some sort of hybrid position behind the WDE, the kid just shoots the gap and tries to cause havoc. I do not remember seeing this during the Walsh game.
Can’t say I expected having a game-changing 140 pound edge rusher, but if it works it works! The kid has tons of heart.

Can’t say I expected having a game-changing 140 pound edge rusher, but if it works it works! The kid has tons of heart.
I would not call him an edge, reminds me of an old ND stack LB. Would think you run right at that spot on the field if anything to beat him up a bit. CCC might not be the game but I could see Hartley doing this on many snaps.

I would not call him an edge, reminds me of an old ND stack LB. Would think you run right at that spot on the field if anything to beat him up a bit. CCC might not be the game but I could see Hartley doing this on many snaps.
He’s not quite a linebacker, not quite a DE, he blitzes every play so he could probably be called anything, but it’s not really that important what we call it.
If Hartley comes out in that same I formation they ran against Ursuline I don’t think Dolan plays much and we go back to the same 4 (maybe even 5) down line we ran against Walsh.

He’s not quite a linebacker, not quite a DE, he blitzes every play so he could probably be called anything, but it’s not really that important what we call it.
If Hartley comes out in that same I formation they ran against Ursuline I don’t think Dolan plays much and we go back to the same 4 (maybe even 5) down line we ran against Walsh.
So he plays only against spread teams? Interesting game plan because when he plays behind Jennings he should get a lot of open gaps to knife through as Jennings will probably start to be double teamed in the upcoming games.

So he plays only against spread teams? Interesting game plan because when he plays behind Jennings he should get a lot of open gaps to knife through as Jennings will probably start to be double teamed in the upcoming games.
At the end of the day your guess is as good as mine and he might have 10 TFLs against Hartley. But if it was me I’d line up 5 D-linemen and let Bedingfield run around and make plays.

DL put consistent pressure on the QB...great to see
Yes they did, if they stay healthy and the young Sophs get even better they may have a '96 type DL.

But why not fire off the line and make some blocks to get the running game going? Especially the right side of the OL.

Yes they did, if they stay healthy and the young Sophs get even better they may have a '96 type DL.

But why not fire off the line and make some blocks to get the running game going? Especially the right side of the OL.
I believe the OL consisted of 2 Sophomores at RG and RT...as the season progresses these young guys will be like Juniors come playoff time...TCC was a make or break defense and these young guys were probably confused at times w all they blitzing they did...Jackson had around 90 yds with Baker adding another 10-15 yds....I want to say St Ed's had around the same rushing yds for the game so not bad at all for those 2 Sophomores on the OL

I believe the OL consisted of 2 Sophomores at RG and RT...as the season progresses these young guys will be like Juniors come playoff time...TCC was a make or break defense and these young guys were probably confused at times w all they blitzing they did...Jackson had around 90 yds with Baker adding another 10-15 yds....I want to say St Ed's had around the same rushing yds for the game so not bad at all for those 2 Sophomores on the OL
So the next pair of games will be key. CCC is not a world beater but those kids hate Benny and have been known in the past to play very chippy against the Bengals; playing smart is going to bean important factor and not getting caught up in any extra curricular antics. Then you load up the coach bus for the first time and make a 2.5 hour trip to Columbus to play a fundamentally sound Hartley team.

So the next pair of games will be key. CCC is not a world beater but those kids hate Benny and have been known in the past to play very chippy against the Bengals; playing smart is going to bean important factor and not getting caught up in any extra curricular antics. Then you load up the coach bus for the first time and make a 2.5 hour trip to Columbus to play a fundamentally sound Hartley team.
I am hearing they are pulling the same crap as 2019 w no film exchange so far.....maybe it will be 70-8 again

It's not looking good at this time to pick up a last minute cancellation due to Covid week 5 game. Most of the programs that are looking are smallish rural ones in the Div V, VI, VII range and I don't think that is good for either side. Maybe something will change but at this time it looks like a bye week for the Bengals after Hartley. The youngsters better strap it up then because if it is not a good result it will be a salty 2 weeks of practice.

I'm very excited for this Benny vs Hartley matchup. Just a few questions about this team before I make my predictions in the other thread
: Will Conkil be 100% this week he seems to have been a little off the past few weeks
: Is that #38 kid that played against TCC playing again
: Who was #15 backup QB against CCC
: Lastly who is #74 LT kid seems like a stud surprised I haven't heard of him before. Does he have any FBS offers

I'm very excited for this Benny vs Hartley matchup. Just a few questions about this team before I make my predictions in the other thread
: Will Conkil be 100% this week he seems to have been a little off the past few weeks
: Is that #38 kid that played against TCC playing again
: Who was #15 backup QB against CCC
: Lastly who is #74 LT kid seems like a stud surprised I haven't heard of him before. Does he have any FBS offers
Should be a fun one!
I would think Conkle will be ready to go, he had bad cramp issues the first 2 games so he should be fine.
I’ve heard yes on Dolan, but didn’t play last week or the 2nd half of TCC.
The back up QB is freshmen Lucas Kaltenbach.
The left tackle is Anthony Illiano, since he’s a junior and in his first full year starting the offers should be coming in.

Why the animosity against CCC?
I'm not as plugged in as I used to be, but the feeling I always get is that the Bengals gain nothing by playing them (at least in football). CCC had a good team back in 2013 and we beat them on a last second kick return. Since then, they have not been so good. They play a lot of D4-D6 type schools so points are few even if they have a good record that year. They didn't even field a team last year. You're getting almost no gate $ if its a Bengal home game and if you lose to them that makes things even worse.

CCC after the 2013 game, started a fight on the field at the end of the game, with their own players. When their coaches tried to break it up the players beat up their coaches. The Bedford police had to be called to break up the skirmish. Beating a team 45-6 or whatever it was this year is not good. It could have been 100-0. Why play a game like that? I don't agree with constantly playing up every game. But I certainly don't agree with playing down. No disrespect to CCC. Coming into the game CCC was unscored upon & undefeated. In a few weeks CCC plays Hoban. Why?

CCC after the 2013 game, started a fight on the field at the end of the game, with their own players. When their coaches tried to break it up the players beat up their coaches. The Bedford police had to be called to break up the skirmish. Beating a team 45-6 or whatever it was this year is not good. It could have been 100-0. Why play a game like that? I don't agree with constantly playing up every game. But I certainly don't agree with playing down. No disrespect to CCC. Coming into the game CCC was unscored upon & undefeated. In a few weeks CCC plays Hoban. Why?
Because they cannot get any other games.

Basically those catholic schools black balled by the new Crown conference will be begging for games. Not many options out there once the conference schedule kicks in.

Because they cannot get any other games.

Basically those catholic schools black balled by the new Crown conference will be begging for games. Not many options out there once the conference schedule kicks in.
The conference made solely to kick us and Hoban out, right? :banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.