Bearcats basketball 2017-2018

Well that sucked. Not a good start to the toughest stretch of the schedule.

Hopefully getting smacked in the mouth wakes them up. Evans, Cumberland and Washington stood around waiting for Clark to set something up. You just can't do that. Jenifer is better off the bench.

Jenifer isn't very good, the offense sucks when he's in the game; Evans isn't close to NBA ready; Clark is a beast on the boards but had too many weak finishes inside; Cumberland is too erratic; Scott and Brooks both shoot like they have Jason Pierre Paul hands.

6 seed again at best.

Evans is a very solid player but I definitely thought his potential was higher than what he has turned out to be. A bit of a disappointment in that regard.

Overall I think this is still a very good team.

I've accepted the fact that he's taken them about as far as he can. A first/second round exit with an occasional Sweet 16. I'm not sure you can do anything about it though. I guess it begs the question where does UC's program stand right now? With Cronin you get a guy who's probably not going to leave anytime soon but has consistent success although his ceiling is what I mentioned earlier. Is UC a program that can attract a big name coach who can get them to the next level? Or would it become a stepping stone job?

I've accepted the fact that he's taken them about as far as he can. A first/second round exit with an occasional Sweet 16. I'm not sure you can do anything about it though. I guess it begs the question where does UC's program stand right now? With Cronin you get a guy who's probably not going to leave anytime soon but has consistent success although his ceiling is what I mentioned earlier. Is UC a program that can attract a big name coach who can get them to the next level? Or would it become a stepping stone job?

Do what it takes to win at a higher level. Who cares if it a stepping stone?

People need to stop letting Cronin off the hook. He doesn't win big games.

I don't think people let him off the hook, I think they just know what to expect by now. This team needs to run the floor much more than they do, but that's not Cronin's style. Their halfcourt offense is miserable, as someone else mentioned Washington looks awful and for much of the last couple games they've just stood around and waited for Clark to bail them out.

Florida was very close to making the Final Four last season and returned several players from that team, so from an optimistic outlook they played with a top 15 team on a neutral court, while also not playing their best.

At best though, this Bearcat team will lose in the Sweet 16.

Doubtful they can afford/be able to attract a really good coach. Cronin probably is the best they can do unless they get an up and comer who has success and leaves for a higher profile job. So where would that really leave the program?

I don't think people let him off the hook, I think they just know what to expect by now. This team needs to run the floor much more than they do, but that's not Cronin's style. Their halfcourt offense is miserable, as someone else mentioned Washington looks awful and for much of the last couple games they've just stood around and waited for Clark to bail them out.

Florida was very close to making the Final Four last season and returned several players from that team, so from an optimistic outlook they played with a top 15 team on a neutral court, while also not playing their best.

At best though, this Bearcat team will lose in the Sweet 16.

Florida was coming in having lost three in a row, they were clearly in a rut. And if S16 is the ceiling, he needs to go. Otherwise, why bother?

Doubtful they can afford/be able to attract a really good coach. Cronin probably is the best they can do unless they get an up and comer who has success and leaves for a higher profile job. So where would that really leave the program?

I'd rather take the up and coming guy who might get me to a FF an leave than be stuck with a mediocre coach whose ceiling is the S16.

Do what it takes to win at a higher level. Who cares if it a stepping stone?

Because then you run the risk of falling into mediocrity, which is one thing we most likely won't see with Cronin at least. Not saying one way is better than the other, just saying it's a difficult scenario to assess.

Great posts, agree with most of it.

And this is why UC needs to get out of this conference. The TV contract is horrible, it's embarrassing watching XU play all their OOC and Big East games on FS1 while UC is lucky to get a game on f'ing ESPN2. Plus half the AAC games are on CBSSN, which pays them close to nothing.

Because then you run the risk of falling into mediocrity, which is one thing we most likely won't see with Cronin at least. Not saying one way is better than the other, just saying it's a difficult scenario to assess.

No, taking a risk is better. It's hard to respect any fanbase that would disagree.

Complacency is a Cincinnati art form. With the pro sports teams being terrible for a long time I think a lot of people just want a team to root for who doesn't suck.

Complacency is a Cincinnati art form. With the pro sports teams being terrible for a long time I think a lot of people just want a team to root for who doesn't suck.

UC can do better. I hate them and enjoy seeing them fall on their face, but they can do better than Mick. Why wouldn't you go after a Chris Collins at Nwestern? That's someone who could take things to the next level? I know he's not a Cincy native, but that only matters to dipsh1ts.

Great 1st half despite the slow start.

Best stretch of play all season the last 10 minutes of the 1st half today. Absolutely phenomenal defense. A lot of people don't like Jenifer, but he played very well today running the offense, breaking the press and most importantly not turning the ball over. All things you want your PG to do.

Yup you're right, already forgot about it. I'm hoping he just had a really slow start to the season.

Overall not too upset they went 2-2 in that stretch. Would obviously love to have the X game back, but they went down to the wire with Florida despite playing very sloppy, handled an SEC team and played substantially better than UCLA for 3/4 of the game at Pauley Pavilion, coming out with the W.

Bearcats looked really good the other night against SMU. I know they lost Ojeleye to the NBA, but they returned a few guys from last year's team. It wasn't their best offensive performance, but they have been locking teams up defensively. 20-point win over their biggest conference rival the past couple of seasons, glad to see them climb in the rankings again because of it.