Beacons of light and closing/consolidating of parishes

It's not good to see divisions between parishes and parishioners.
It is important for Christian believers of all denominations and ethnicities to be united at this time because the atheists in the weaponized federal government have targeted us as Christian Nationalists, dangerous to American democracy

1. The United States is a republic, not a democracy
2. Christians are peace loving, we are not jihadists

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all"

It's not good to see divisions between parishes and parishioners.
It is important for Christian believers of all denominations and ethnicities to be united at this time because the atheists in the weaponized federal government have targeted us as Christian Nationalists, dangerous to American democracy

1. The United States is a republic, not a democracy
2. Christians are peace loving, we are not jihadists

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all"
Under God wasn't added until 1954.

The United States is a democratic republic. That's an important distinction, which many for whatever reason, would like to leave out.

MOST Christians are peace loving. 99.9 percent of them. Some very vocal Christian nationalists are a huge problem for this country, just like the morons who support Hamas. We have an idiot problem in the U.S.: Trump cultists, Bernie Bros, Hamas supporters, Russia supporters, Christofascists, etc. It's because we have an information literacy problem and we can't handle the many, many channels of communication available to us these past few decades.

and here we go …..

St I’s tuition letters went out with a $850 increase to around $5200+ annually - 20% increase from the prior year, no multi child discount as well. Letter pointed to Ed Choice and other state programs for assistance.

What’s more interesting is a vague comment in the letter about the church (weekly giving, bequests etc.) historically supplementing the school. I would guess the start of separating out the church and school finances for the westside parishes/families.

and here we go …..

St I’s tuition letters went out with a $850 increase to around $5200+ annually - 20% increase from the prior year, no multi child discount as well. Letter pointed to Ed Choice and other state programs for assistance.

What’s more interesting is a vague comment in the letter about the church (weekly giving, bequests etc.) historically supplementing the school. I would guess the start of separating out the church and school finances for the westside parishes/families.
Interesting. That is still less than what EdChoice will give most families.

These rates will continue to rise rapidly over the next few years unfortunately so schools can justify keeping people out that they don't want.

These rates will continue to rise rapidly over the next few years unfortunately so schools can justify keeping people out that they don't want.
You are 100% wrong… an increase of $850 is not keeping anyone out.

St I’s increase is well below the max for EdChoice. In theory, this is really no increase at all since EdChoice will cover is 100%.

If you make so much money that you don’t qualify for EdChoice then you can afford the $850.

You are 100% wrong… an increase of $850 is not keeping anyone out.

St I’s increase is well below the max for EdChoice. In theory, this is really no increase at all since EdChoice will cover is 100%.

If you make so much money that you don’t qualify for EdChoice then you can afford the $850.
Watch and see over the next 5 or so years. I'll eat crow if I'm wrong..... And I hope I am.

Weird. Seems like it would be much easier to just deny applicants and/or expel current “non wanted.”
It's not because you need reasons to deny. Instead you create "waitlists" and raise tuition until it's over ed-choice amounts and then the wait list magically vanishes.

It's not because you need reasons to deny. Instead you create "waitlists" and raise tuition until it's over ed-choice amounts and then the wait list magically vanishes.
This is an awful lot of work for some very small schools with very limited staff that need students. "The people they want to keep out" are really just kids/families who have caused more than their fair share of trouble elsewhere. There will not be a massive effort to price poor people out.

Watch and see over the next 5 or so years. I'll eat crow if I'm wrong..... And I hope I am.
Why wait five years?!?

Most schools have already raised their tuition to the EdChoice max. Which cost most families $0!

You never miss an opportunity to promote some Catholic school conspiracy that is flat out false. Get a new hobby.

Reactions: E82
Why wait five years?!?

Most schools have already raised their tuition to the EdChoice max. Which cost most families $0!

You never miss an opportunity to promote some Catholic school conspiracy that is flat out false. Get a new hobby.
It's not false when it's happening.

Again, I'll eat crow if these increases don't keep happening.

We have waitlists at some schools, yet empty schools just a mile or two away, and "nothing can be done" to accommodate those kids wanting in.

And I'm the one with conspiracies.

FWIW I did hear over the weekend that there are wait lists at both Victory and Dominic for next year. One example, Dominic has 60 incoming Kindergartner’s with 10 more on the wait list. They have plenty of room but would need to hire additional staff. That’s where the issue for the wait list comes into play. Apparently some want to hire more staff and some don’t.

Last edited:
FWIW I did hear over the weekend that there are wait lists at both Victory and Dominic for next year. One example, Dominic has 60 incoming Kindergartner’s with 10 more on the wait list. They have plenty of room but would need to hire additional staff. That’s where the issue for the wait list comes into play. Apparently some want to hire more staff and some don’t.
They aren't the only ones. There's currently a lot of fighting between Archdiocese and Parishes over these arbitrary wait-lists.

But someone will tell me I'm wrong and making things up.

I understand the strong interest at Victory, but what are the factors driving the enrollment and waitlist at Dominic. For those who are familiar with their situation is it a strong teaching staff, facilities, locations, etc.?

I understand the strong interest at Victory, but what are the factors driving the enrollment and waitlist at Dominic. For those who are familiar with their situation is it a strong teaching staff, facilities, locations, etc.?
If you qualify for the max Ed choice and I would bet a lot do, then they are going there for free

My understanding it's how the local public elementary is viewed (Delshire Elementary) and it's not in a good light, never has been. You also had Fr. Ben telling OLV hopefuls on the original wait-list to go over to Dominic.

Lastly, you have had a lot of turnover in the neighborhoods around Dominic with younger families moving in, which is great for the area.

My understanding it's how the local public elementary is viewed (Delshire Elementary) and it's not in a good light, never has been. You also had Fr. Ben telling OLV hopefuls on the original wait-list to go over to Dominic.

Lastly, you have had a lot of turnover in the neighborhoods around Dominic with younger families moving in, which is great for the area.
Also, Oak Hills does not offer all day kindergarten. Now with EdChoice, more folks may want that option if it is paid for.

I am all for helping everyone receive a Catholic education, my biggest concern is when is this "government teat" going to run out of milk? This is only funded for two years, what if a different group takes control in Ohio and shuts this down? Will the schools reduce their tuition?
I was talking to my wife (who works for St. Dominic) just yesterday that I have not seen a financial statement published recently for income/expenses of the parish. There was always a good chunk going to keep the school running, seems like that is not needed anymore. A group I am involved with gave grade school scholarships every year, for the coming school year we are only doing high school since there is no need in the grade school

I am all for helping everyone receive a Catholic education, my biggest concern is when is this "government teat" going to run out of milk? This is only funded for two years, what if a different group takes control in Ohio and shuts this down? Will the schools reduce their tuition?
As I said a few weeks ago, it likely ends in disaster. Even if the state legislature remains committed to funding the EdChoice expansion, it won’t be as generous and the income requirements will certainly become stricter.

I’ll continue to budget as though I need to pay full tuition each year.

Last edited:
As I said a few weeks ago, it likely ends in disaster. Even if the state legislature remains committed to funding the EdChoice expansion, it won’t be as generous and the income requirements will certainly become stricter.

I’ll continue to budget as though I need to pay full tuition each year.

You may be right about the bolded above, but the change/movement is bigger than just Ohio. And, Ohio did it less well than other states - not surprisingly.

You may be right about the bolded above,
I hope like heck I’m wrong.

but the change/movement is bigger than just Ohio. And, Ohio did it less well than other states - not surprisingly.
I agree. I think I would like to have seen Education Savings Accounts created in Ohio so the money the state is willing to provide for my kids’ grade school education today could grow over time to pay for their high school or college in the future.

I hope like heck I’m wrong.

I agree. I think I would like to have seen Education Savings Accounts created in Ohio so the money the state is willing to provide for my kids’ grade school education today could grow over time to pay for their high school or college in the future.

That would be good. Most states had no income restriction.