Baltimore Bridge Collapse

I did not think Team Biden was capable of swift action. Color me surprised.
To be fair, he said he (we) was going to pay for it, not that he was going to build it.

I did not think Team Biden was capable of swift action. Color me surprised.
Dude, it's a top marine salvage contractor with an open checkbook. Team Biden just spent your money again, that's all. Maybe speed simply means "Cost +++"?

Dude, it's a top marine salvage contractor with an open checkbook. Team Biden just spent your money again, that's all. Maybe speed simply means "Cost +++"?
I still am surprised that this tentative first step was taken without the prerequisite environmental and federal contract compliance reviews.That is not in character with the Federal Bureaucracy based on my past business experience with the government. Then again it is an election year.

I still am surprised that this tentative first step was taken without the prerequisite environmental and federal contract compliance reviews.That is not in character with the Federal Bureaucracy based on my past business experience with the government. Then again it is an election year.
They are cutting and lifting debris out of the river. The basic plan for such an event likely predates the actual event, and the contractor is likely an approved Naval disaster demolition contractor. DC, Norfolk are right there. But I hear ya

So, what ports are getting Baltimore’s container business ?

Anybody know ?

Probably Norfolk.

Back in the day there were lots of pirates in the Chesapeake Bay. Blackbeard was positioned for awhile between Baltimore and Norfolk near Hampton (hence the college being nicknamed pirates)
Now the US Navy of course has Anapolis and Norfolk itself with a heavy presence

IMG_7096.jpeg

Well, it's not hard to be suspicious when the government has lied to you on everything from Covid, to Hunter's laptop, to J-6.

Talk about scary illumination, you're first in line to believe whatever they say...AGAIN!

lmao
Cause we all know that Trump, Comer, MTG, and Jordan are all honest.

I never compared two entirely different bridges, unlike some.
But your criticism of the comparison is validated by your professional expertise, which it seems you lack. On the other hand it seems IB is actually building a bridge. I do agree that people on here often times offer opinions based on zero expertise, ProV is the king of this. But it seems this time you were very wrong to assume IB was one of those people.

To be fair, it is a lot more than just a bridge. There is a ton of ancillary work with interchanges and such associated with it. But yeah, stuff like this takes forever.
If you have been to Akron lately, they are re-imagining the I77-76 connection, adding on/off ramps, expanding connections to other routes, building bridges over the interstates, etc. It's an incredible mess that appears to be moving at the speed of smell.

We saw a mini version of it in Canton with the I77-SR 30 interchange on the south end of town. My wife was originally excited that they were finally going to fix the 100 yard access to I 77 N off of 30E where 77N traffic is also merging onto 30E. She is terrified of that interchange and refused to try it - along with many women and some unmanly men. But it did take some nerve.

After 2 years of mess, they completed the project - and left the 77/30 on-off ramp the same 100 yards. Lol. We do not have the highest opinion of ODOT engineers.

It's apples and oranges, but when an Amish guy needs a barn, 400 Amish men show up and build it in a day in what they call a "frolic". We joke that these road construction companies need to have a frolic of Amish guys and they could cut construction time down by years. Lol.

If you have been to Akron lately, they are re-imagining the I77-76 connection, adding on/off ramps, expanding connections to other routes, building bridges over the interstates, etc. It's an incredible mess that appears to be moving at the speed of smell.

We saw a mini version of it in Canton with the I77-SR 30 interchange on the south end of town. My wife was originally excited that they were finally going to fix the 100 yard access to I 77 N off of 30E where 77N traffic is also merging onto 30E. She is terrified of that interchange and refused to try it - along with many women and some unmanly men. But it did take some nerve.

After 2 years of mess, they completed the project - and left the 77/30 on-off ramp the same 100 yards. Lol. We do not have the highest opinion of ODOT engineers.

It's apples and oranges, but when an Amish guy needs a barn, 400 Amish men show up and build it in a day in what they call a "frolic". We joke that these road construction companies need to have a frolic of Amish guys and they could cut construction time down by years. Lol.
Columbus finally fixed the I70 / I71 interchange. It’s baffling to me why in the beginning they thought it made sense that 2 four lane highways should merge into 1 four lane highway at the point at which they cross. They also improved 670 by adding an extra lane during rush hour. That was a pretty easy fix.

Columbus finally fixed the I70 / I71 interchange. It’s baffling to me why in the beginning they thought it made sense that 2 four lane highways should merge into 1 four lane highway at the point at which they cross. They also improved 670 by adding an extra lane during rush hour. That was a pretty easy fix.
Glad to hear they are actually fixing something, somewhere. Lol.

I have a well-earned bias against ODOT. We had a bad intersection at SR 241 and CR 201 in Holmes Co. It was an intersection on a hill with blind dips on SR 241 if you were on 201 trying to cross 241. Even if you weren't Catholic, you crossed yourself before you went across. Even atheists did it.

So, they decide to fix it by lowering the hill and filling in the dips. They spent several million dollars and... It still has blind dips and is still dangerous. It's a puzzler. They improved it marginally.

About 25 years ago, I was seeing a ton of teenagers hurt in accidents at the access intersection to the local HS. One girl broke her neck. I finally decided to see if I could do something about it.

The intersection was a disaster. You had a state route with a 55 mph speed limit (during non-school hours) intersecting a road to the south to the school with a road to the north 50 yards offset. That offset made crossing the SR treacherous and confusing - especially for young, inexperienced drivers. There were stop signs on the north and south sides.

To the south of the intersection, you had a large wood products company and a large RV park. To the north was a grocery store.

So, you have to imagine the scene of teenagers, tourists, Amish buggies, horseback riders, school buses, tractors, large farming vehicles, pedestrians, semi and log trucks, large RVs, and locals trying to go thru or turn north or south at that intersection. It was chaos.

So, the first step was to contact the local ODOT engineer in New Philadelphia. I called this guy and described the problem. He asked me to wait while he checked something. He comes back after a minute and says, "We won't even bother to study it because no one has been killed there in the last 10 years." I pointed out that dozens had been seriously injured. Didn't move him. I said, "Are you telling me that a student has to die before you will even look at this?" I was ticked.

So I called my, then, state rep, Bob Gibbs. I explained the situation to him. He said that he would see what he could do. 10 min later the engineer I had talked to said they were going to study it. Lol. Gibbs proved to be the right lever to get the bureaucracy to move.

The guy studied it and called me back and told me that something had to be done. Lol. Anyone who looked at it for 10 min could have established that. They immediately lowered the speed limit and put up a caution light. About 15 years later, they fully fixed it with a traffic light and adding turning lanes.

But ODOT is a soulless bureaucracy that takes forever to address real issues - if you can get their attention and if their fix actually fixes the problems. So, not a fan.