B1G National Championships since 1970

Maple_City_Fan

I used this Year essentially starting my lifetime, and combined BIG National Titles in Money Sports is as follows

3. Indiana (all Basketball)
3. Michigan (2 Football 1 Basketball)
2. Michigan State (both Basketball)
2. Ohio State (both Football)

Any underachievers? Overachiever?

Discuss

The conference as a whole is a recidivist underachiever.

Think about it: That’s 108 national championships (54 per sport) and the Big Ten has only won a total of 10 titles overall, despite purporting to be the best or second-best conference. The conference resembles a morbidly obese person: Some parts no longer function correctly; filled with deadweight; bleak prospects for success and happiness.

I used this Year essentially starting my lifetime, and combined BIG National Titles in Money Sports is as follows

3. Indiana (all Basketball)
3. Michigan (2 Football 1 Basketball)
2. Michigan State (both Basketball)
2. Ohio State (both Football)

Any underachievers? Overachiever?

Discuss
As a whole the conference does well in National Championships, so I'd say its healthy at the very least. (Men's sports since 1970)

Men's Cross Country
5x - Wisconsin
Field Hockey
1x - Iowa, Michigan, Northwestern
Football
3x - Ohio State
2x - Michigan
Men's Soccer
8x - Indiana
1x - Wisconsin, Maryland
Men's Basketball
3x - Indiana
2x - Michigan St
1x - Michigan
Gymnastics
5x - Michigan
3x - Ohio St
2x - Illinois
Hockey
6x - Wisconsin
5x - Minnesota
2x - Michigan, Michigan St
Swimming
4x - Indiana
2x - Michigan
Indoor Track
1x - Wisconsin
Wrestling (team)
24x - Iowa
10x - Penn State
3x - Minnesota
1x - Ohio State
Golf
1x - Ohio State, Minnesota
Lacrosse
2x - Maryland
Tennis
1x - Illinois
Rowing
5x - Wisconsin
Synch Swimming
5x - Ohio State
Volleyball
2x - Penn St
3x - Ohio State

Ohio State won a football title in ‘70

UCLA has 6 titles (all basketball)
USC has 5 (all football)
Penn St 2 (football)
Nebraska 4 (football)
Washington (1 in football)
Maryland (1 in basketbal)

Last edited:
Miami, a small private school who's been up and down has 5

Clemson 3

UConn Basketball 5

Louisville Basketball 3

Duke and North Carolina Basketball 5

I can go just about all day to embarrass BIG, especially OSU Football

BTW 1970 OSU was UPI, not the more credible AP

Clemson 3

UConn Basketball 5

Louisville Basketball 3

Truthfully no one is more embarrassing to the BIG than Michigan. What with the most recent cheating scandal, the paying the"fab" 5 and 50 years of impotence in football, all the while bragging about your wins from over 100 years ago.

Clemson 3

UConn Basketball 5

Louisville Basketball 3

Well the ‘70 title is recognized by the ncaa

1970 is very arbitrary. Many consider the start of the modern NCAA football era as 1965, that is when the two platoon system became legal. As for basketball it is when the tournament went to 32 teams in 75 or even better 64 in 1985. Before '75 you had to basically win your conference title to get into the tourney.

As a whole the conference does well in National Championships, so I'd say its healthy at the very least. (Men's sports since 1970)

Men's Cross Country
5x - Wisconsin
Field Hockey
1x - Iowa, Michigan, Northwestern
Football
3x - Ohio State
2x - Michigan
Men's Soccer
8x - Indiana
1x - Wisconsin, Maryland
Men's Basketball
3x - Indiana
2x - Michigan St
1x - Michigan
Gymnastics
5x - Michigan
3x - Ohio St
2x - Illinois
Hockey
6x - Wisconsin
5x - Minnesota
2x - Michigan, Michigan St
Swimming
4x - Indiana
2x - Michigan
Indoor Track
1x - Wisconsin
Wrestling (team)
24x - Iowa
10x - Penn State
3x - Minnesota
1x - Ohio State
Golf
1x - Ohio State, Minnesota
Lacrosse
2x - Maryland
Tennis
1x - Illinois
Rowing
5x - Wisconsin
Synch Swimming
5x - Ohio State
Volleyball
2x - Penn St
3x - Ohio State
nobody cares about the non-revenue sports

Weird. Given that I went there, most everyone I have become friends with over the last 30 years went there, and while we are all aware of the various “national titles” that could be won in the past, none of us consider that one. Until 2002, the last title was 1968. Nothing after 1968, until 2002.

Clemson 3

UConn Basketball 5

Louisville Basketball 3

By any credible standard, Ohio State was not the national champion for 1970.

For college football in my life time, the Big 10 has only 4 undisputed claims to a national championship:

Ohio State 1968, 2002, 2014.
Michigan 2023

Weird. Given that I went there, most everyone I have become friends with over the last 30 years went there, and while we are all aware of the various “national titles” that could be won in the past, none of us consider that one. Until 2002, the last title was 1968. Nothing after 1968, until 2002.
Agreed, OSU isn’t the only one who does this though. Plenty of SEC teams claim titles that they didn’t win on the field as well.

Agreed, OSU isn’t the only one who does this though. Plenty of SEC teams claim titles that they didn’t win on the field as well.
My favorites is when 'Bama claims poll titles with Houlgate & Williamson in the name. The most ludicrous was the '41 season, 'Bama didn't even win their conference and was 14th in the AP poll but Houlgate had them as #1 and they still list it as a natty. Incredible.

My favorites is when 'Bama claims poll titles with Houlgate & Williamson in the name. The most ludicrous was the '41 season, 'Bama didn't even win their conference and was 14th in the AP poll but Houlgate had them as #1 and they still list it as a natty. Incredible.
Exactly. Alabama is the worst of them at claiming fake titles

Interesting fact, UCF claimed to be the National Champions in 2017 because they beat Auburn, who also beat Alabama & Georgia, both of which played for the National Title, and it is recognized in the NCAA record book because the Colley Matrix Poll voted them as the champions.

1706564766164.png

True, but if the revenue generating sports are producing championships for the non-revenue sports, then they are still doing their job I suppose.
I guess? I would rather have the revenue generating sports at least winning first before worrying about the sports nobody outside of the friends and family of said player care about.