Are you FOR or Against what is happening at the Hall of Fame Village

Are you FOR or AGAINST what is happening at the Hall of Fame Village??

• FOR

Votes: 49 90.7%
  • AGAINST

Votes: 5 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just needed to hear an expert, less simplistic perspective. What do you think happens next?

PS Do you think this is why David Baker left?
I don't care why David Baker left. I'm glad he did.

There are plenty of entities that can smartly develop the property beyond the current "gentlemen" doing so. It's a very valuable location.

And so we are clear on the ineptitude going on over there. The footers for the hotel were poured and in place a year and half ago. Since then they were ripped out and the current retail area structure is where the hotel was supposed to go. They were to start the hotel again this past January. But on the bright side they bought a 30 year old indoor Ferris wheel.

So tell us why we're wrong. Why should IRG et al. continue? They came to Canton and demolished a nice neighborhood for this, giving the homeowners 15% of what their parcels are worth now.
What parcels are you referring to? How about some numbers?

And so we are clear on the ineptitude going on over there. The footers for the hotel were poured and in place a year and half ago. Since then they were ripped out and the current retail area structure is where the hotel was supposed to go. They were to start the hotel again this past January. But on the bright side they bought a 30 year old indoor Ferris wheel.
Oh, so he's right, there ARE "much more details and levels to the story."

What parcels are you referring to? How about some numbers?
IRG, originally, gave the homeowners who voluntarily left the neighborhood around Fawcett Stadium in the range of $150k. Eminent domain was not permitted. This was more than market value at the time but not by much. This was completely independent of what type of mortgage they had if they had one. So if they owed $100k, in effect, they got $50k as the neighborhood around them was demolished. Remember, this is with the city of Canton and Canton City Schools' tacit approval.

The holdouts got $800k. There are very very few homes in Stark County worth that. Plain Township, at one point, had to maintain services to their homes despite the fact that they were sitting in the middle of a construction zone. The HOFV property sits by the most major (after Cooperstown) pro sports hall of fame and an interstate highway ramp. It is extremely valuable. It's supposed to be a theme park -- that's a lot of money if you run it right. The developers are also extremely wealthy. David Baker sits in a VIP box at Dallas Cowboys games with George W. Bush.

Yet... the developers have consistently said, in every project they've ever done all over the United States, that they will not invest a dime of their own money. Just Downey, Calif.'s money. Or Caddo Parish, Louisana's money. Or Summit County's money. Or Canton's money. Or Toledo's money. Or Cleveland's money. Or North Canton's money. Or Johnson Controls' money. Or shareholders' money -- and those shareholders own the worst performing SPAC in the US. The developers are frequently sued, maligned in the press, and even arrested. And every single entity winds up hating them.

You're welcome to do the research on your own if you want some numbers. When I say 15%, I'm being nice.

Unfortunately it's become a place for anti Canton and/or Canton McKinley people to take aim at the development.
EF179460-12FC-47BC-9A85-DE558E5A61F8.jpeg

“Hey look! A Ferris Wheel!”

“It’s just a Ferris wheel in a dirt lot, what am I supposed to be looking at?”

“That Ferris Wheel used to be at the IX Center! You may have rode it a few times in the 90s!?”

56EC9E61-4BFF-43CB-9D73-DB61F85E053C.png
75DBF79C-4119-40C3-ADDB-AFBD5F12AF8D.png
EBDE84D6-FE36-4D7E-915B-665D3A9461DD.png
0F3B848F-2ADB-4BC4-AEEA-0FC2B13D8E5A.png
0BB1B6D6-2A0C-45D8-9CED-ABA355D5BD4A.png

“These are all normal construction delays”. Signed my2sense

Still to this day he claims it’s normal of projects to have these problems. LMAO!!

I have been in construction for 30 years and have never seen a $=/f show like this one. Oh yes, their was one other. The Hoover Project was the same way. Guess who bankrupted that project? Yep IRG, same people as HOFV.
100% agree…obviously we’ve both worked on this and it’s the biggest s**t show I’ve ever worked on. The amount of money that gets wasted is mind boggling. Worst run project I’ve ever been a part of. We pulled out last December when the weather got bad and the bill reached 7 figures.

IRG, originally, gave the homeowners who voluntarily left the neighborhood around Fawcett Stadium in the range of $150k. Eminent domain was not permitted. This was more than market value at the time but not by much. This was completely independent of what type of mortgage they had if they had one. So if they owed $100k, in effect, they got $50k as the neighborhood around them was demolished. Remember, this is with the city of Canton and Canton City Schools' tacit approval.

The holdouts got $800k. There are very very few homes in Stark County worth that. Plain Township, at one point, had to maintain services to their homes despite the fact that they were sitting in the middle of a construction zone. The HOFV property sits by the most major (after Cooperstown) pro sports hall of fame and an interstate highway ramp. It is extremely valuable. It's supposed to be a theme park -- that's a lot of money if you run it right. The developers are also extremely wealthy. David Baker sits in a VIP box at Dallas Cowboys games with George W. Bush.

Yet... the developers have consistently said, in every project they've ever done all over the United States, that they will not invest a dime of their own money. Just Downey, Calif.'s money. Or Caddo Parish, Louisana's money. Or Summit County's money. Or Canton's money. Or Toledo's money. Or Cleveland's money. Or North Canton's money. Or Johnson Controls' money. Or shareholders' money -- and those shareholders own the worst performing SPAC in the US. The developers are frequently sued, maligned in the press, and even arrested. And every single entity winds up hating them.

You're welcome to do the research on your own if you want some numbers. When I say 15%, I'm being nice.
Anyone who took the first offer is a fool. The holdouts did it right.

So everybody got more than market value for their property and some got many times more. Nice deflecting, but the type of mortgage and amount owed has nothing to do with the discussion.

You make it sound like the parcels that sold are now worth astronomically more than those next door that didn't. That's not the case. And that especially won't be the case if everyone walks away from the project, as you propose. Remember "It's over, bro.", "That's the final straw for me. It's time for all local entities to quit on these developers.", and "QUIT NOW."

I have no idea how this project will end up but I'm pulling for it.

So everybody got more than market value for their property and some got many times more. Nice deflecting, but the type of mortgage and amount owed has nothing to do with the discussion.

You make it sound like the parcels that sold are now worth astronomically more than those next door that didn't. That's not the case. And that especially won't be the case if everyone walks away from the project, as you propose. Remember "It's over, bro.", "That's the final straw for me. It's time for all local entities to quit on these developers.", and "QUIT NOW."

I have no idea how this project will end up but I'm pulling for it.
It's not deflection. They're packaging financial products on non-existent returns. By default, the property is already worth far more than it was. It has massive future value as well.

They're spending the money on themselves. We have local developers that could do a better job, and our local developers aren't that great and have far less money. That would also keep the money in Stark County.

I think the thing that sticks out in the article that thisisinsane is that "officer have been summoned in response to gunfire.... ....TEN TIMES.... ....SINCE MID AUGUST." With 8 people being shot.

I've been telling everyone about this dangerous city for several years now, the normal responses are something along the lines of, "yeah but it's nowhere near the village." (Like these criminals who don't give a rats behind about their neighbors lives aren't going to travel. And they sure as heck don't care about YOUR life. They think you may have a little cash on you for crack..bang bang....you're dead.

no where in anything that I said is in denial or that my head is no way getting any where close to my arse - those flexible days are over.
I guess I don't see the correlation of what you say about the HOFV and the plight of the greater Canton area. Yes there is an obvious problem however I don't see how one business entity can be a part of this conversation nor that the problem is solely in this area.
you are right bro there is no specific reason why any business entity should be part of this conversation. And regarding HOFV I have lost all faith on it. I invested nearly $10k in HOFV stock and am stuck on it.