Anglers caught cheating in Cleveland fishing tournament with lead weights, fish fillets

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Two anglers were caught cheating in a Cleveland fishing tournament by adding lead weights and fish filets that appeared to be previously prepared to increase the weight of the fish during a competition on Friday.

The cheaters added around eight pounds of total weight to the five fish they caught during the Sept. 30 event on Lake Erie, according to Jason Fischer of the Lake Erie Walleye Trail.

Not the first time for these perps.

I think they owe a lot of money back to sponsors and real winners.

New walleye tacos

1664907077881.jpeg

Arraigned today…

The principal charge is “Cheating”, a low level felony. The Ohio Revised Code language…”did knowingly engage in conduct designed to corrupt the outcome of an athletic or sporting event.”

I was guilty of this crime every basketball game I ever played.

I had no clue "cheating" was actually a law. Figured it was called fraud or something
Ditto. When I looked it up, the Ohio Revised Code (Section 2915.05 | Cheating - corrupting sports) showed an effective date of September 30, 2011.

I guess a plea of sports cheating is a “better look” than theft/attempt theft and/or criminal tools. 🤷‍♂️ Either way, will be expunged in 3 years once probation is completed.

Ditto. When I looked it up, the Ohio Revised Code (Section 2915.05 | Cheating - corrupting sports) showed an effective date of September 30, 2011.

I guess a plea of sports cheating is a “better look” than theft/attempt theft and/or criminal tools. 🤷‍♂️ Either way, will be expunged in 3 years once probation is completed.
My guess is that this law was enacted as legal gambling business began moving into Ohio. I've looked at the statute and it seems pretty "loose" to me...."conduct designed to corrupt the outcome of a sporting event". I can think of all kinds of "illegal" activity WITHIN a game that can affect the outcome of a sporting event....and is "designed to corrupt the outcome"... As a basketball player, it was always my view that you did what you could get away with...

Exactly...

I'm only half-joking about this. Laws need to be straightforward...simple. Laws need to state, clearly, to someone, what conduct subjects you to a criminal (in this case felony) sanction.

OK...so, let's take the fishing thing. Putting weights in the fish...a crime...apparently...though a deal was struck with no prison, so the defense isn't all that interested in exploring the exact meaning of the statute...and, I'm guessing, neither is the prosecutor. What if the tournament had limits on...oh, let's say, fuel consumption? Engine size? What if I had an extra gas can secreted onboard, was able to go to areas that I couldn't otherwise get to, maybe "score" more walleye...haven't I engaged in "conduct designed to corrupt the outcome of a sporting event"? Should I be charged with a felony because I had extra gas onboard?

Last edited:
A phrase pops into my head that comes up from time to time... Winning at all costs. We actually applaud this thought for some people.

Why and when did we get so competitive that people would cheat in a fishing contest of all things? I mean is that really they way you want to win? I like the concept we have in pickup basketball games where you call your own fouls. Now this obviously can get out of hand, but for the most part, the participants can work it out. Sure you can call a foul on game point so you get another possession, but if you win, how do you feel? Guilty? Integrity. It's something we talk about alot in people, but do we truly practice it. Is wining a fishing contest really worth the guilt you feel by knowing you cheated to win?

A phrase pops into my head that comes up from time to time... Winning at all costs. We actually applaud this thought for some people.

Why and when did we get so competitive that people would cheat in a fishing contest of all things? I mean is that really they way you want to win? I like the concept we have in pickup basketball games where you call your own fouls. Now this obviously can get out of hand, but for the most part, the participants can work it out. Sure you can call a foul on game point so you get another possession, but if you win, how do you feel? Guilty? Integrity. It's something we talk about alot in people, but do we truly practice it. Is wining a fishing contest really worth the guilt you feel by knowing you cheated to win?
In this case, the $28k cash prize for winning. Definitely not right, but there’s motivation for some.

Counterfeiting Investigation...
A crime? Hmmm…they say “not legal tender” and ”for motion picture purposes only”…a crime? I’d defend this case all day…

Per the article…”Police say the bills were obviously phony”….that would include EVERYONE involved…no? Including the proprietor…