Alternates at District

D2 Wilmington District 106# alternate from Graham replaced 2nd from Clinton-Massie sectional

D2 Steubenville District 138# alternate from Steubenville replaced 4th from Steubenville sectional, 144# alternate from Steubenville replaced 3rd from Steubenville sectional,

D3 Perry District 150# alternate from both Rootstown and Berkshire sectionals got in due to double disqualification from the Rootstown 3rd place match.

D3 Rossford District 106# alternate from Oak Harbor replaced 4th from Van Buren sectional

Last edited:
D2 Wilmington District 106# alternate from Graham replaced 2nd from Clinton-Massie sectional

D2 Steubenville District 138# alternate from Steubenville replaced 4th from Steubenville sectional

D3 Perry District 150# alternate from both Rootstown and Berkshire sectionals got in due to double disqualification from the Rootstown 3rd place match.

D3 Rossford District 106# alternate from Oak Harbor replaced 4th from Van Buren sectional
D2 Steubenville District 144# alternate from WH replaced 3rd from Steubenville sectional.

Steubenville
138 - ST-5 Braylon Leiffer 10 - St. Clairsville
144 - ST-5 Blake Strouse 11 - West Holmes

Perry
150 - RO-5 Noah McKay 11 - East Palestine
150 - BE-5 Calvin Peters 12 - Perry

Rossford
106 - OH-5 Elijah Ramsey 10 - Port Clinton

I may have missed some.

Why is the OHSAA still charging alternates that do not get in admission? They don’t charge those that go 2 and out admission the 2nd day. Then why charge the alternates not getting in the bracket?
I was told they are not charged the first day of districts but would be charged the 2nd day if they don't make it into the tournament. I don't recall anyone asking us on the 2nd day and actually making them pay. But I can't remember if they came the 2nd day or not... I've been hit in the head many times.

D2 Steubenville District 138# alternate from Steubenville replaced 4th from Steubenville sectional, 144# alternate from Steubenville replaced 3rd from Steubenville sectional,

There was no "4" from the Van Buren sectional. The Oak Harbor sectional alternate got in because the Van Buren sectional only had three kids.

Why is the OHSAA still charging alternates that do not get in admission? They don’t charge those that go 2 and out admission the 2nd day. Then why charge the alternates not getting in the bracket?
Why shouldn't they charge them?
Top 4 wrestlers at each sectional earned their spot in the district tournament, that's why they aren't charged.

Why shouldn't they charge them?
Top 4 wrestlers at each sectional earned their spot in the district tournament, that's why they aren't charged.

They practiced all week and hold their weight down for a small chance to get in the bracket. They “earned” that chance by finishing 5th at Sectional. They ride to District in school transportation with their coaches.
Should basketball players who don’t get a single minute in their playoff game owe the OHSAA money for a ticket since they didn’t get in the game?
They need to stop thinking about money for one minute and do the right thing. State is a different conversation, but the district tournament is a no brainer to not charge alternates.

They practiced all week and hold their weight down for a small chance to get in the bracket. They “earned” that chance by finishing 5th at Sectional. They ride to District in school transportation with their coaches.
Should basketball players who don’t get a single minute in their playoff game owe the OHSAA money for a ticket since they didn’t get in the game?
They need to stop thinking about money for one minute and do the right thing. State is a different conversation, but the district tournament is a no brainer to not charge alternates.
what’s different? some travel furth for disc tricks than for state

If your name is on the bracket you earned it. Alternates rely on someone else's misfortune to get into the tournament (don't put yourself in that situation, just like don't let the ref decide the match). They had the chance to earn that spot the previous week. Bad weeks/sickness/injuries happen at tournaments but everyone is aware going into the week that if you aren't top 4 your season is likely over.
Comparing postseason wrestling and basketball is terrible. One is a TEAM and the other is individual.

If your name is on the bracket you earned it. Alternates rely on someone else's misfortune to get into the tournament.
Oh really? How many wrestlers throughout the years find their names on a bracket for the State Tournament because someone else didn't make weight, had an injury/illness a day or two before, had a skin condition, had to default a match, etc. Isn't that someone else's misfortune? In my opinion, your comment is pretty pious.
Comparing postseason wrestling and basketball is terrible. One is a TEAM and the other is individual.
I think that athletes that toil daily, help their teammates advance, but ride the bench is a pretty good example/analogy whether you accept/like it or not. No one's asking to give them a participation trophy, just a bit of respect.

There was no "4" from the Van Buren sectional. The Oak Harbor sectional alternate got in because the Van Buren sectional only had three kids.
How do they determine which sectional alternate gets in, when there is a scratch, or in this case, just an open spot?

How do they determine which sectional alternate gets in, when there is a scratch, or in this case, just an open spot?

Same process as when there would be two out from one sectional, I would assume.

That spot is given by a random draw of the other three sectional 5th place winners.

Same process as when there would be two out from one sectional, I would assume.

That spot is given by a random draw of the other three sectional 5th place winners.
So it is random, ok I got ya. I didn't know if there was some criteria there or not. Thanks.

14 X 4 X 3 X $55

$9,240 reasons
Except as I stated...

I know, at least for Garfield Heights, they are not charging for alternates on Friday. I specifically asked the tournament director since I have 4 alternates and don't usually carry around cash.

I actually don't remember ever having an alternate charged on Saturday but can't remember if they came on Saturday or not.

Except as I stated...

I know, at least for Garfield Heights, they are not charging for alternates on Friday. I specifically asked the tournament director since I have 4 alternates and don't usually carry around cash.

I actually don't remember ever having an alternate charged on Saturday but can't remember if they came on Saturday or not.
Do any district or state alternatives have to pay? I don't think they should.

I can only speak with certainty that D2 NE alternates do not have to pay on Friday and could be charges on Saturday if they don't make it into the tournament
It must be up to the District itself and not the OHSAA. There are districts that say in black and white that alternates not getting in must buy a ticket. You can look at each of the SW District tournaments on baumspage to see it.

It must be up to the District itself and not the OHSAA. There are districts that say in black and white that alternates not getting in must buy a ticket. You can look at each of the SW District tournaments on baumspage to see it.
It says per SWDAB.

So I'd contact them with the complaint. Its kind of lame that its not the same across the state. That's garbage. Is the rule being adhered to I wonder....