Akron Public Schools

Sad it's come to this. I believe its been 30 years since the Last APS Strike. It seems like the teachers aren't budging on this and I don't blame them. It is the school districts responsibility to protect the students as well as the instructors. Get them the security they need to do their jobs comfortably.

From what I have seen/read the strike wouldn't happen until Jan 9th, next Monday if a new deal wasn't reached. With that being the case, I'd imagine athletics won't be affected until then (or Friday). But just my two cents

From what I have seen/read the strike wouldn't happen until Jan 9th, next Monday if a new deal wasn't reached. With that being the case, I'd imagine athletics won't be affected until then (or Friday). But just my two cents
Correct, it will not affect sports until the 9th. I was actually a student athlete attending an APS the last time the teachers went on strike.

This was already addressed in the Akron City Series Basketball 2022-2023 thread. It doesn't happen until the strike starts.

One word out is tomorrow will be declared a Calamity Day and schools will not be opened.

Teachers were in their buildings today, supposedly an inservice. However more than likely they were told to clean out any personal materials in their classrooms so as to not be available to subs/district.

One word out is tomorrow will be declared a Calamity Day and schools will not be opened.

Teachers were in their buildings today, supposedly an inservice. However more than likely they were told to clean out any personal materials in their classrooms so as to not be available to subs/district.
How long could this last?

How long could this last?

Don’t know. As I understand it, the Union and BOE reps were in talks today, will take tomorrow off, then resume on Saturday. I hope there can be a resolution soon because the kids need to be in school but I support the teachers 100%. www.ohio.com has numerous articles about the issues. Number 1 being safety in the schools.

Some info from a Beacon article:
* Akron teachers rank No. 11 among 17 Summit County districts in average pay and No. 6 when comparing salaries for the Ohio 8, representing other metropolitan school districts around Ohio.
* The average Akron teachers’ salary is $69,726. Teacher salaries in school districts can vary based on years of experience, step increases and education.
* A new Akron teacher hired today with a bachelor's degree, for example, would be paid $42,039 the first year and $68,742 by year 12

Money is not at the heart of this. It’s the unsafe environment in the schools, for students and teachers. The Union has brought this to the attention of the Board before. The Administration under David James reneged on the promises made in the previous contract. Students who brought weapons to school were not expelled, but moved to another building. The same for assaulting a teacher or another student. At the elementary level they weren’t even removed from the building, just put in another classroom. I’ve been told there are on average five fights a week in the high school buildings. Kids can’t use the restrooms for fear of being assaulted.

Ten maybe fifteen years ago I’d see reports on the Cleveland news stations about the same behaviors in the Cleveland Public Schools. It is now in Akron. What you see happening on the streets is happening in the school buildings.

This article on ohio.com tells it like it is. She has personally been in the APS buildings as a tutor and substitute teacher. The first paragraphs are about her own school years. She then gets to the heart of it.

Last edited: