Airing of Grievances

LucMurphy134

Maybe I’m getting old, or maybe it’s just a sign of the times. I know there are still a ton of great people in wrestling, but it’s not hard to notice lately that there seems to be a general negative attitude both in real life and online among wrestling fans. I’m honestly puzzled. It’s like the factory settings for today's wrestling fans is always comes from a place of negativity. Wrestling is the greatest sport in the world, and I can't think of a better tool to teach kids and young adults the most important lessons in life.

Off the top of my head, here are a few of my grievances. Let's keep these in mind through the Districts and States, and maybe, just maybe we can improve the experience of the athletes competing....
  • Those who complain about Refs constantly when they’ve never bothered read the rulebook.
  • Those who drone on about the old days being tougher. They weren’t. Wrestling at all levels has never been better. Kids are better, stronger, faster and better coached compared to 10-20-30 years ago. We evolve. By the way, you weren’t as tough as you think you were either back in the day.
  • Those who complain about “recruiting.” I say success attracts success. Why hate on a family can put a kid into a better situation? We are a nation of immigrants who left their homes in search of opportunity.
  • Those who complain about “holdbacks.” See above.
  • Those who take to social media or Yappi and hate on successful programs. There is a reason that the top programs better than your team, and it’s likely not what you are complaining about.
  • Those who sit in the first row of bleachers at a tournament and yell at people who are standing on the mat (including coaches) all day! I say wouldn’t it be easier to just sit in the 3rd row?
  • Those who yell at a wrestler taking injury time and those who cheer when a wrestle is injured.
  • Those who Boo a kid on a podium.
  • Those who discount a wrestler’s achievements i.e. - easy draw, weak weight class. I say, that’s ridiculous. You get what you earn. Put some respect on these kids names!
  • Those who push for elimination of weight classes. Be careful what you wish for (see 2012 Olympics).
  • Those obsessed with arguing about rankings – state, national, district, whatever. It all works itself out on the mat doesn’t it?
  • Those "rankers" who use unnecessary harsh or insulting language in talking about a teenager.
  • Those Coaches who perpetuate negativity among their fan base /parents by trashing rivals.
  • Those Coaches who consistently work Refs for unearned points. I say focus on coaching up your athlete.
  • Those Referees who at the conclusion of a match /dual become the joy police and look to penalize team points for exuberant celebration.
  • Those Referees who consistently miss a call because they are not in the right position.
  • Those Parents who push their kids away from the sport by trying to fill a hole in their lack of accomplishments. I say, your relationship with your kid is the most important thing. Don’t lose sight of that.
I say it’s just High School wrestling. Nothing more.

Happy postseason, and good luck to all!

Last edited:

Nice comments Luc. Very well said.

I am a 80's wrestler and always say the kids today are phenominal. Watch videos from the 80's and we were almost standing straight up on our feet. Kids today get so slow (and score from everywhere). First and second line of defense..... your face and hands. Scrambing today is off the charts amazing. Kids don't sprawl, they block and reshoot.

I said 10 years ago............. if you ever get the chance to go watch OAC grade school state its better than 75% of the high school tournaments. Those little dudes (and many girls) are fantastic. The skill and smarts and toughness is truly amazing.

However, I also always say every level of kid in wrestling is important. The 4th place league kid is just as important as the state champion. All worthy and should be proud of their accomplishments. Wrestling is a small family i like to say.

Hard work bests talent when talent doesnt work. Now you get a talented kid who likes to work.............well, you got something right there.

How do we come up with a solution to these grievances?

Parents are going to be an obstacle in all of sports. We live in a society of instant gratification. Difficult matches allow blaming/complaining/defending opportunities. The ref missed the takedown, the coach didn't argue the call, my child would have won but was up late playing fortnite. The advancement of technology, cell phones, videos - all help fuel the angry parent when they review the film and see a call that was mishandled.

My biggest challenge, officiating. I have tried to ask officials of their interpretations on what is considered a takedown, what is considered a fall. The answers are broad and inconsistent. I have completed the OHSAA officiating courses and to my surprise, there is not nearly enough emphasis on the definition of a takedown, or a fall. These areas of complaints are perfect opportunities for solutions.

OHSAA could provide coaches, wrestlers, parents opportunities online to educate themselves on the rules/regulations of our sport. Understanding what is being called or why it is being called, understanding the human element- all of this would assist.

This sport is counter culture, you can't purchase success for your child. The emotions that wrestler/parent/coach experience are not met in any other sport.

Good luck to all wrestlers in the month of champions!

Nice comments Luc. Very well said.

I am a 80's wrestler and always say the kids today are phenominal. Watch videos from the 80's and we were almost standing straight up on our feet. Kids today get so slow (and score from everywhere). First and second line of defense..... your face and hands. Scrambing today is off the charts amazing. Kids don't sprawl, they block and reshoot.

I said 10 years ago............. if you ever get the chance to go watch OAC grade school state its better than 75% of the high school tournaments. Those little dudes (and many girls) are fantastic. The skill and smarts and toughness is truly amazing.

However, I also always say every level of kid in wrestling is important. The 4th place league kid is just as important as the state champion. All worthy and should be proud of their accomplishments. Wrestling is a small family i like to say.

Hard work bests talent when talent doesnt work. Now you get a talented kid who likes to work.............well, you got something right there.
Thanks.....Far be it for me to criticize arguably the GOAT of USA wrestling, and one of the greatest matches of all time but watching Gable vs Owings you can see how the sport has progressed in 50 years. Also a great lesson in that anyone is beatable! Rankings, records, and message boards really don't really matter at the end of the day.

:

Sorry, but the Airing of Grievances should be reserved for Festivus on Dec. 23 and of course includes Feats of Strength.
Cannot argue that.

I'll be the guy at the Hoover district carrying a large aluminum pole eating a feast of meatloaf on a bed of lettuce. Please say hello!

My biggest challenge, officiating. I have tried to ask officials of their interpretations on what is considered a takedown, what is considered a fall. The answers are broad and inconsistent. I have completed the OHSAA officiating courses and to my surprise, there is not nearly enough emphasis on the definition of a takedown, or a fall. These areas of complaints are perfect opportunities for sosolutions.
I find one part of this questionable. I'm not saying you're lying, but a pin is not broad. I'm wondering, at what level you're asking for this? If you're asking this at an OHSAA sanctioned event and it really doesn't matter if it's Jr high or high school. That is clearly defined and there should not be any broad or inconsistent answers. When any part of both sides of the shoulders are held in contact with the mat for 2 ENTIRE seconds, a pin is earned. You can google that definition and know.

Takedown, I will agree, but only because the definition is very broad. In a sport like wrestling, too many variables to be put in a book, so it has to be broad in nature. Google that definition from NFHS and tell me if you understand what it means. I don't think anyone does unless you've watched enough and officiated a ton.

My biggest challenge, officiating.

OHSAA could provide coaches, wrestlers, parents opportunities online to educate themselves on the rules/regulations of our sport. Understanding what is being called or why it is being called, understanding the human element- all of this would assist.
I like this. A one stop shop for some online videos. Link from the OHSAA site. More education can never be a bad thing. People may not watch and/or still complain, but this would show the OHSAA cares and is trying to be proactive for the good of the sport..........and many will watch and learn.

For years I had officials that I worked with ask me why I did a good number of middle school events, especially the OAC Jr Hi Tournament. The second day of that tournament was better than half my varsity events. I couldn't begin to tell you how many eventual state champs/placers I had the good fortune to officiate. Officiating on that level makes you a better official. Because of their size and flexibility, one sees scrambles and predicaments rarely seen in h.s. LOL I stayed away from grade school, too many tears, and the younger the wrestler the more volatile the parents. LOL

I like this. A one stop shop for some online videos. Link from the OHSAA site. More education can never be a bad thing. People may not watch and/or still complain, but this would show the OHSAA cares and is trying to be proactive for the good of the sport..........and many will watch and learn.
Are you aware of all this stuff on the OHSAA site?
1677866816404.png

We can barely get people to officiate, and people treat them like scum of earth it is wild.
Just as an FYI, At Garfield Hts, the announcer made a 2 minute speech thanking officials and asking for a round of applause for the officials.
A really nice touch and something I have never seen in 40 years.
Believe me, it is not without reward.

Those who discount a wrestler’s achievements i.e. - easy draw, weak weight class. I say, that’s ridiculous. You get what you earn. Put some respect on these kids names!
Maybe I’m getting old, or maybe it’s just a sign of the times. I know there are still a ton of great people in wrestling, but it’s not hard to notice lately that there seems to be a general negative attitude both in real life and online among wrestling fans. I’m honestly puzzled. It’s like the factory settings for today's wrestling fans is always comes from a place of negativity. Wrestling is the greatest sport in the world, and I can't think of a better tool to teach kids and young adults the most important lessons in life.

Off the top of my head, here are a few of my grievances. Let's keep these in mind through the Districts and States, and maybe, just maybe we can improve the experience of the athletes competing....
  • Those who complain about Refs constantly when they’ve never bothered read the rulebook.
  • Those who drone on about the old days being tougher. They weren’t. Wrestling at all levels has never been better. Kids are better, stronger, faster and better coached compared to 10-20-30 years ago. We evolve. By the way, you weren’t as tough as you think you were either back in the day.
  • Those who complain about “recruiting.” I say success attracts success. Why hate on a family can put a kid into a better situation? We are a nation of immigrants who left their homes in search of opportunity.
  • Those who take to social media or Yappi and hate on successful programs. There is a reason that the top programs better than your team, and it’s likely not what you are complaining about.
  • Those who sit in the first row of bleachers at a tournament and yell at people who are standing on the mat (including coaches) all day! I say wouldn’t it be easier to just sit in the 3rd row?
  • Those who yell at a wrestler taking injury time and those who cheer when a wrestle is injured.
  • Those who discount a wrestler’s achievements i.e. - easy draw, weak weight class. I say, that’s ridiculous. You get what you earn. Put some respect on these kids names!
  • Those who push for elimination of weight classes. Be careful what you wish for (see 2012 Olympics).
  • Those obsessed with arguing about rankings – state, national, district, whatever. It all works itself out on the mat doesn’t it?
  • Those "rankers" who use unnecessary harsh or insulting language in talking about a teenager.
  • Those Coaches who perpetuate negativity among their fan base /parents by trashing rivals.
  • Those Coaches who consistently work Refs for unearned points. I say focus on coaching up your athlete.
  • Those Referees who at the conclusion of a match /dual become the joy police and look to penalize team points for exuberant celebration.
  • Those Referees who consistently miss a call because they are not in the right position.
  • Those Parents who push their kids away from the sport by trying to fill a hole in their lack of accomplishments. I say, your relationship with your kid is the most important thing. Don’t lose sight of that.

This right here is why, as a coach, i love this post. these kids work harder than ever before because the stakes are higher than ever before especially in NIL days. so for some keyboard warrior dad to have the audacity to say that a weight class doesn't matter, it is entirely disrespectful to the coaches, parents, and more importantly, the wrestler.

My program has three rules:

- work hard
- work smart
- be respectful.

the last rule is number one. wrestling was here long before any of us were here and it will be here long after the Good Lord call us home so if you have nothing nice to say, stay off the computer and stop ripping kids to make your ego feel better.

Goodnight and Go Orange.

I agree with everything you posted…. but you do realize that you just had a “get off my lawn” moment….😂