Afterthoughts of Valdosta vs Colquitt in regular season, game nine.

SWGA Fan

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to all those Ohio prep football fans, for my doubting that their state does truly house the greatest football by far, in this country. Your Massillon team is one in 14,000. And they proved that once and for all, against the winningest team in America, in late August. If I offended any with my doubt, please feel free to chastise me for my transgressions. And congratulations also go out to the mighty Cats, for reminding us Packers once again. Why this is such a great rivalry, since that first meeting in 1913. And with this, I bid you folks a fond farewell ya'll.

I almost forgot to mention the punchline. The Valdosta Wildcats hung 28 on my por lil Packers.

Last edited:

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to all those Ohio prep football fans, for my doubting that their state does truly house the greatest football by far, in this country. Your Massillon team is one in 14,000. And they proved that once and for all, against the winningest team in America, in late August. If I offended any with my doubt, please feel free to chastise me for my transgressions. And congratulations also go out to the mighty Cats, for reminding us Packers once again. Why this is such a great rivalry, since that first meeting in 1913. And with this, I bid you folks a fond farewell ya'll.
Georgia and Ohio are simply set up different. Ohio has a ton of school districts, mostly small. Georgia, by far, has more large schools than does Ohio so the depth of quality big school football is not able to be matched by Ohio at this point in history. Georgia football, due to demographics, population, and other factors is where Ohio football was from 1950 to 1990. I would not have an issue with someone who argued that Georgia currently has the best high school football in America.

Georgia and Ohio are simply set up different. Ohio has a ton of school districts, mostly small. Georgia, by far, has more large schools than does Ohio so the depth of quality big school football is not able to be matched by Ohio at this point in history. Georgia football, due to demographics, population, and other factors is where Ohio football was from 1950 to 1990. I would not have an issue with someone who argued that Georgia currently has the best high school football in America.
Well, MY school is the 26th largest school in the state, at 2350. But ranks fourth in the state and 12th in the country, with NO open enrollment. Because quite frankly, NOBODY in SOWEGA would transfer to Colquitt , for fear of total condemnation by their local populations. IF we WERE to gain the advantages of getting a new QB1 transfer just for the Valdosta game, who bailed out Massillon.(Just two transfers from each of the adjacent high schools to our rural farming county) The Colquitt Co. Packers could beat ANYONE, not named Mater Dei, St. John Bosco, and that football factory in Bradenton, Fla., who draw from populations larger than most states. But THAT'S a story for another day. As it is, the three teams ranked nationally above Colquitt in this state, draw from a metro population of 6,000,000. And there are currently only 46 teams in the state of Georgia, (pop. 10,500,000) who play in the largest classification. And we currently have some 480 total GHSA schools, MOSTLY rural. That number will swell to a WHOPPING 58 next season, with a partial merger of 6A/7A into the new highest classification of 6A. And STILL, some of the best teams in the state and country will be in the new 3A, 4A, and 5A, the second highest classification. And other than the shenanigans from schools in Gwinnett Co. and other metro counties. There is NO open enrollment in Georgia as I understand there is in Ohio. The end.

Not everyone in Ohio has open enrollment. My school, Avon, has an enrollment of about 1,400 and is closed enrollment. Around the size of Buford in GA. We are Division 2 in Ohio, same as Massillon, which is the second highest classification in Ohio. We are ranked #93 in the nation and will hopefully meet up with Massillon later in the playoffs. The 2024 schedule is set, but Avon is looking to open 2025 out of state, though I don’t think GA is in the mix. Either CA, TX or FL.

Not everyone in Ohio has open enrollment. My school, Avon, has an enrollment of about 1,400 and is closed enrollment. Around the size of Buford in GA. We are Division 2 in Ohio, same as Massillon, which is the second highest classification in Ohio. We are ranked #93 in the nation and will hopefully meet up with Massillon later in the playoffs. The 2024 schedule is set, but Avon is looking to open 2025 out of state, though I don’t think GA is in the mix. Either CA, TX or FL.
Well, I will be the first to applaud the fact that Avon does it the RIGHT way. They, like Colquitt, play with what God gave them.

And as an aside, this is by NO means meant to be a racial statement, BUT. The world had better be glad that Colquitt only has 400 black coeds in a school of 2350. And 15% of the enrollment are Hispanics, who don't play football. They play primarily soccer and a few play baseball. And every so often, the coach will persuade a Hispanic kid to try out for the football team as a kicker. Many of the athletes who are Caucasian at Colquitt, concentrate on soccer, baseball, and a few dive for our nationally known diving team. I said THAT to say THIS. Colquitt plays with what is primarily a 3A enrollment, talentwise. Our 100-man varsity roster (9th-12th grade) is derived from about 200 black males, a few Hispanics, and maybe twenty to thirty white boys, making up the Varsity from a school with over 1200 males. No doubt we'd probably be better if the entire male enrollment was involved.

As for Buford, enrollment is IRRELEVANT. Herbie found that out the hard way, around 2006, when he invited then 2A Buford, to play in his Herbie vs the world challenge. And having not investigated Buford other than a cursory search. He paired them with one of the much lesser powerhouses on his list. And it was BLOOD BATH, 42-7. He brought them back the next season I believe, thinking that the first game was just an aberration, with the same result.

Buford as of late, was a 5A school until 2022 with 1100 students. And the GHSA recently installed a 3X multiplier, that placed them in 7A. They had a minimum of 30% of their enrollment who didn't live in Buford, primarily there for athletics. Which ALSO encompasses two separate counties in their city limits. They receive city, state, and county taxes from both Gwinnett and Hall counties, population of nearly 1,200,000. And they also receive SPOLOST supplemental funding from both Gwinnett and Hall counties, as well. PLUS, a significant number of college and pro athletes have gravitated to the lil wolf village next to the largest mall on the Eastern seaboard, with valet parking no less. They even have city bus service. And most cities of even 200,000, struggle to supply bus service in the rest of Georgia.

Another thing about Buford. They have won dozens of state titles in about ten different sports, both girls and boys. And that ain't an accident. NOBODY is THAT good every season, without a lot of help from their friends and neighbors. But even Buford can't seem to lasso every stud in the area. The top DB in the country for three of the past four seasons, has come from within TEN miles of Buford, in Gwinnett County. And UGA got ZERO of them. Collins Hill's Travis Hunter, Buford's K.J. Bolden, and the freshmen DB who is starting for the Crimson Pachyderms, Caleb Downs of Mill Creek.

As for Avon playing TX. Cali, or Fla. in 2025. There are probably pretty good chances that a decent team from those states, would travel to YOU. And I don't think that they would require a reciprocal trip to their place. Evidently, those states have mucho pesos. Colquitt has played national powers from MO., Va., Fla., Cali, Ala., S.C., and Miss. And only Hoover, Ala. required a home and home. In fact, future National Champion South Panola, Miss., drove ten hours, to KICK OUR BUTTS in 2010. Our only moral victory was that they only gave up 80 points in fifteen games. And we scored 35 of those. :banana: We just couldn't stop um. And they NEVER punt, and always go for two point conversions, to run up their scores.

Last edited:
Well, I will be the first to applaud the fact that Avon does it the RIGHT way. They, like Colquitt, play with what God gave them.

And as an aside, this is by NO means meant to be a racial statement, BUT. The world had better be glad that Colquitt only has 400 black coeds in a school of 2350. And 15% of the enrollment is Hispanics, who don't play football. They play primarily soccer and a few play baseball. And every so often, the coach will persuade a Hispanic kid to try out for the football team as a kicker. Many of the athletes who are Caucasian at Colquitt, concentrate on soccer, baseball, and a few dive for our nationally known diving team. I said THAT to say THIS. Colquitt plays with what is primarily a 3A enrollment, talentwise. Our 100-man varsity roster (9th-12th grade) is derived from about 200 black males, a few Hispanics, and maybe twenty to thirty white boys, making up the Varsity from a school with over 1200 males. No doubt we'd probably be better if the entire male enrollment was involved.

As for Buford, enrollment is IRRELEVANT. Herbie found that out the hard way, around 2006, when he invited then 2A Buford, to play in his Herbie vs the world challenge. And having not investigated Buford other than a cursory search. He paired them with one of the much lesser powerhouses on his list. And it was BLOOD BATH, 42-7. He brought them back the next season I believe, thinking that the first game was just an aberration, with the same result.

Buford was a 5A school until 2022 with 1100 students, and the GHSA installed the 3X multiplier, that placed them in 7A. They had a minimum of 30% of their enrollment who didn't live in Buford, primarily there for athletics. Which ALSO encompasses two separate counties in their city limits. They receive city, state, and county taxes from both Gwinnett and Hall counties, population of nearly 1.2,000,000. And they also receive SPOLOST funding from both Gwinnett and Hall counties, as well. PLUS, a significant number of college and pro athletes have gravitated to the lil wolf village next to the largest mall on the Eastern seaboard, with valet parking no less. They even have city bus service. And most cities of even 200,000, struggle to supply bus service in the rest of Georgia.

Another thing about Buford. They have won dozens of state titles in about ten different sports, both girls and boys. And that ain't an accident. NOBODY is THAT good, every season, without a lot of help from their friends and neighbors. But even Buford can't seem to lasso every stud in the area. The top DB in the country for three of the past four seasons, has come from within TEN miles of Buford, in Gwinnett County. And UGA got ZERO of them. Collins Hill's Travis Hunter, Buford's K.J. Bolden, and the freshmen DB who is starting for the Crimson Pachyderms, Caleb Downs of Mill Creek.

As for Avon playing TX. Cali, or Fla. in 2025. There are probably pretty good chances that a decent team from those states, would travel to YOU. And I don't think that they would require a reciprocal trip to their place. Evidently, those states have mucho pesos. Colquitt has played national powers from MO., Va., Fla., Cali, Ala., S.C., and Miss. And only Hoover, Ala. required a home and home. In fact, future National Champion South Panola, Miss., drove ten hours, to KICK OUR BUTTS in 2010. Our only moral victory was that they only gave up 80 points in fifteen games. And we scored 35 of those. :banana: We just couldn't stop um. And they NEVER punt, and always go for a two point conversions, to run
Well, hold on a minute. If someone just happens to move in to Avon they can play and it is not considered open enrollment. I mean, if a running back from Clyde moves in and plays, he is not what I would call a home grown g=boy. Their current running back is from Clyde. I know it was a legitimate move;, but never the less. I am saying is can and does happen.

The ONLY instances where Colquitt could get a move in who is instantly eligible, would be if they were sons of new coaches, as happened when our future starting safety, moved in from Hebron Christian. After his father left his job as head coach there. And moved to Colquitt after having been the strength coach at Buford the season before. He is currently wisely riding the pine in Volnessea. Cause we gonna blast them orange hillbillies back in time, this Saturday night.

Last edited:
Well, hold on a minute. If someone just happens to move in to Avon they can play and it is not considered open enrollment. I mean, if a running back from Clyde moves in and plays, he is not what I would call a home grown g=boy. Their current running back is from Clyde. I know it was a legitimate move;, but never the less. I am saying is can and does happen.
That can happen anywhere, of course. That is not the definition of open enrollment. Caffey moved to Avon in 8th grade.