After football season is over, the Canton Board of Education will have to make a major decision....

After football season is over, the canton Board of education will have to make a major decision...

• Keep Antonio Hall as the Head Football Coach at Canton McKinley

Votes: 85 75.2%
  • Let Antonio Hall go, Look for a new Head Football Coach for the 2022 season Canton McKinley

Votes: 28 24.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
And here we are with a perfect example of a misrepresentation of the truth....from a person who openly admits not even living in Ohio or returning anytime soon, but wants to sit from afar and lob negativity and hate more often than anyone who is here wants to hear, and very rarely is anything he says of substance or truth.

As AD - Hall supported and backed the previous coach. Hall did not instruct or have any involvement with the incident.
Furthermore, anyone HERE IN CANTON can tell you the previous coach was lazy and did very little to leave it better than he found it.
What's done is done, and we have played an entire regular season - so for those of us HERE, we tarry forth.

As far as a previous coach's lawyer goes, I look forward to seeing that ambulance chaser being laughed out of court.
Shame on you for calling the previous coach lazy. He picked up kids (that weren’t even on the football) team and brought them to school everyday. He mentored students in the school. Did you watch the school board meetings where player after player after player spoke on his behalf?

And you criticize the poster for not saying anything of substance or truth? You better look in the mirror.

Kudos to Coach Hall for holding the season together.

You are funny. He was lazy - there I said it again. An assistant coach was using a school van to pick up kids.

5 kids showed up to speak on his behalf at the BOE meeting with the ambulance chasing lawyer. If you were there then you would know.
When spider was let go the ENTIRE TEAM showed up at a BOE meeting to speak on his behalf.
get your facts straight

no shame in my game.

You are funny. He was lazy - there I said it again. An assistant coach was using a school van to pick up kids.

5 kids showed up to speak on his behalf at the BOE meeting with the ambulance chasing lawyer. If you were there then you would know.
When spider was let go the ENTIRE TEAM showed up at a BOE meeting to speak on his behalf.
get your facts straight

no shame in my game.
Clearly it’s people like you that have led to the disfunction at McKinley…for what…the last 20 years? Keep it up and you will have another 20 years of being mediocre. You combined 2 high schools and can’t even play for/win a regional title. You are good at spewing mistruths and dividing the fan base. Keep it up and watch your rival…who plays in D2….keep taking it to you year after year after year.

Any thinking person who cares about what's best for the kids and the future of the program would bring him back.

You combined 2 high schools and can’t even play for/win a regional title.
Its funny how people want to present Timken at the time of the merger as this football power filled with five star players. They were struggling to win games in the PAC 7. lol

Reactions: y2h
Its funny how people want to present Timken at the time of the merger as this football power filled with five star players. They were struggling to win games in the PAC 7. lol
Yeah, often forgot about. I would say that 90-95% of any Canton kids,when they were both open, went to McKinley if they were serious about football.

You combined 2 high schools and can’t even play for/win a regional title. You are good at spewing mistruths and dividing the fan base. Keep it up and watch your rival…who plays in D2….keep taking it to you year after year after year.

In 2016, the same year the district moved to one high school, McKinley was moved to R1....being in R1 is the primary reason they haven't played for a regional title.

He was a good man that just put his foot in his mouth, if you don't know what he did his years at the helm just no use to tell anyone now...BAM!
Well it sounds like Salem is working out for him and his family and that’s where he needs to stay.

If Antonio Hall makes a decision to return to the full-time AD position, he will most definitely make certain that he communicates very passionately and clearly to the players, and the greater Canton community as well, that he supports a new head coach and will be very close to the football program going forward. In other words, he would not leave the football program simply hanging in the wind. Nevertheless, Hall may indeed want to permanently leave the AD post and concentrate only as HC of the Canton City football program. I think the Superintendent and BOE would support his decision either way. These decisions should be forthcoming very soon. If Hall does take on the permanent role as HC, it will be very interesting to see if he "fine tunes" the coaching staff at the varsity level, and what personnel changes he might make, if any, within the coaching staff. (The obvious problems on the defensive side of the ball....cannot stop the opposition's big plays....may have more to do with a lack of talent on the field of play than with the coaching staff) We'll soon see how it all turns out.

Antonio will remain the head coach. Ron Johnson built a strong program when he was there. There were almost 80 plus players every year on the varsity roster. Academics were very strong. He was visible in the school and as a teacher, he always responded to emails about players. He always made his players sit in the front of the classroom and they became the best leaders. He beat Massillon often. Was there a couple of decisions he probably wishes he could have back, sure, but overall he was a great leader of men. The debacle of the board led to his wrongful firing. It is a shame because he had something positive being built.
He blew a 34-2 lead against Hoover...

HC Ron Johnson has some definite qualities as an individual and as a football coach. Cannot be denied. However, he had two negative issues which ended up with his being fired. One, he had no clue on the defensive side of the ball. He should have heavily recruited a top notch defensive coordinator, but he didn't get that done. Secondly, he had alienated the black segment of the Canton community, for a variety of reasons, one of which pertained to, by some folks, not working diligently enough for seniors to receive college scholarships.

But enough about the past
; Canton needs to look to the future and plan and prepare for a return to football prominence.

HC Ron Johnson has some definite qualities as an individual and as a football coach. Cannot be denied. However, he had two negative issues which ended up with his being fired. One, he had no clue on the defensive side of the ball. He should have heavily recruited a top notch defensive coordinator, but he didn't get that done. Secondly, he had alienated the black segment of the Canton community, for a variety of reasons, one of which pertained to, by some folks, not working diligently enough for seniors to receive college scholarships.

But enough about the past
; Canton needs to look to the future and plan and prepare for a return to football prominence.
Sounds like the community should care more about their boys receiving scholarships. It’s the parents job to get their kids to summer combine camps if they have that athletic potential. I don’t see anything wrong with a parent asking the coach for help but it’s the coach’s job to get an entire TEAM ready to play a season. Typically, the student athlete needs to show the desire themselves. College coaches will find you, especially nowadays, with Hudl, Twitter and YouTube. Harold Fannin is not going to have an issue finding somewhere to play and get an education should he so desire.
Parents blame the schools for educational issues and also pile on the athletic side. Many times, a long look in the mirror could solve many issues.

Well it sounds like Salem is working out for him and his family and that’s where he needs to stay.

Ditto Reardon. Though you knew it would back at Ursuline. Good coach.

Kinda surprised Filtz never head coached again. I assume Stueby is grooming him to replace Reno, if that sob ever retires.

Sounds like the community should care more about their boys receiving scholarships. It’s the parents job to get their kids to summer combine camps if they have that athletic potential. I don’t see anything wrong with a parent asking the coach for help but it’s the coach’s job to get an entire TEAM ready to play a season. Typically, the student athlete needs to show the desire themselves. College coaches will find you, especially nowadays, with Hudl, Twitter and YouTube. Harold Fannin is not going to have an issue finding somewhere to play and get an education should he so desire.
Parents blame the schools for educational issues and also pile on the athletic side. Many times, a long look in the mirror could solve many issues.
Agree!

I understand what you are trying to say, but I refuse to believe that there weren't quite a few kids walking the halls at Timken that could have helped their football team, but chose not to play. Maybe they didn't want to put in the work and not get many wins in return? They didn't have to be 5 star recruits, just quality ball players. Who knows, but I just don't believe that Timken didn't have kids that could have been quality football players.
Here is a question for you. If Tuslaw combined with Massillon, do you think that the kids at Tuslaw would only be a negligible help to the Tigers?

I understand what you are trying to say, but I refuse to believe that there weren't quite a few kids walking the halls at Timken that could have helped their football team, but chose not to play. Maybe they didn't want to put in the work and not get many wins in return? They didn't have to be 5 star recruits, just quality ball players. Who knows, but I just don't believe that Timken didn't have kids that could have been quality football players.
Here is a question for you. If Tuslaw combined with Massillon, do you think that the kids at Tuslaw would only be a negligible help to the Tigers?
Similar to what I said earlier in thread. The ones walking the hallways weren’t there at Timken. If a kid had the slightest inkling to play football (with the exception of a very few) they went to Mck. Many of the players that made up Timken football were a lot of times at Timken for other reasons.

And to question #2, yes, adding Tuslaw to Massillon the difference would be almost zero. You’d be hard pressed to find a Tuslaw starter that would start for Massillon. Most likely, if a kid resides in the Tuslaw district and is good enough to be in Massillons starting lineup, the kid is likely already there. This is not a knock on Massillon, if I were a Tuslaw kid and could start for Massillon, I’d probably choose Massillon.

The fact is it didn't happen whether you think so or not. Anything else is speculation.
You made THIS statement about Timken kids contributing/making an impact after the merger.

Weren't McKinley's starting QB and star 6'5 receiver, the last time McKinley beat the Tigers, both Timken kids?
I asked you THIS question.

Still butt hurt over that? Lol. The topic is state titles, not a regular season game.
You responded (dodged) with this answer.

If the topic is Hall, that means its about this year, not the merger year with Timken or the last time McK won. ?‍♂️

Lets see now...

At the time of his transition to interim head coach, Hall was the AD. McK then named an interim AD to replace him.

IMO, the Super and BOE should remove both interim labels, and move Hall back to AD.

Then the Super and BOE should ask the AD for his recommendation. Should McK hire the interim coach as the new head coach?

I'm typing this in only half jest....but the meaning doesn't change.

The Super and BOE officially have the final say, but in reality, its up to Hall himself. If Hall wants the job, its his.

But there is more to it than whether he'd rather coach or just run a department. An AD makes a lot of money. A coaching stipend is peanuts. So, if Hall wants the job, there has to be a viable set of musical chairs within the administration, so that Hall has one to sit in...which can be the basis for his salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.