A look back...2020 the yr Parkway was stopped by the OHSAA and COVID from a possible trip to the state finals

Parkway was not the only team that was denied this opportunity- so a little misleading.
I will say Grandview Hts had it best team possibly in school history they also were denied.
Grandview Hts was set to play Berlin Hiland in the Regional Final at Ohio University.
Anyway.

Parkway was not the only team that was denied this opportunity- so a little misleading.
I will say Grandview Hts had it best team possibly in school history they also were denied.
Grandview Hts was set to play Berlin Hiland in the Regional Final at Ohio University.
Anyway.
Agreed. My school qualified for the regional for only the 3rd time ever and we found out we weren't going to be allowed to play only two hours before our bus was supposed to leave the school. It sucked, but honestly...what were we or anyone else going to do?

Anyway.
Every team is going to think they had it worse but I can tell you that if you aren't from the area, it's hard to understand how rare of an opportunity was taken from a community. Parkway had never played in a district final, let alone win one. It was their highest finish in the MAC (2nd), & most wins in school history (19). It's a school that's had historic struggles to compete and finally had a team that had a chance. They were coming off of a thrilling win in the regional semis to Calvert, setting up a game with unbeaten Columbus Grove & then it was all taken away.

The girls teams from West Branch and Dayton Carroll were warming up in St. John Arena, 15 minutes from the tip, and summoned off the court to be told they weren't playing.
There were a lot of gut-wrenching stories during that time.
And to add insult to injury, West Branch's charter bus broke down in a restaurant parking lot near Mansfield and they had to wait close to two hours for a replacement bus to come get them. They couldn't get home fast enough.

Atwater Waterloo was in their 1st regional since consolidation ( Atwater and Randolph township schools). The team at the historic Canton Memorial Fieldhouse warming up when told game was off...

Every team is going to think they had it worse but I can tell you that if you aren't from the area, it's hard to understand how rare of an opportunity was taken from a community. Parkway had never played in a district final, let alone win one. It was their highest finish in the MAC (2nd), & most wins in school history (19). It's a school that's had historic struggles to compete and finally had a team that had a chance. They were coming off of a thrilling win in the regional semis to Calvert, setting up a game with unbeaten Columbus Grove & then it was all taken away.
I was pulling hard for the Parkway community. I do recall thinking in some ways, although likely not a popular view, stopping the tournament also gave Parkway something they had never done before, WIN THE LAST GAME OF THE SEASON.

We will never know if they would have win their next game? But someone was going to lose if the game was played, and now by stopping when they did 32 teams finished the season with a win in their last game.

Anyway.
Columbus Grove was 26-0, AP #1, and took down AP #2 in the last game before the shutdown. The next year the same team minus 3 seniors got state runner-up to Botkins. We were robbed of the title in 2020

Ottawa Glandorf girls had qualified for state and were already in Columbus.....and the OG boys were in the Regionals....with what maybe was their best team ever (which is saying something).

Attachments

• tiny-violin_400x333.jpg
    tiny-violin_400x333.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 10
On the other hand my team played the night before and lost and I remember thinking one more day and I could always make the argument my team probably would of won it all. 😁

Ottawa Glandorf girls had qualified for state and were already in Columbus.....and the OG boys were in the Regionals....with what maybe was their best team ever (which is saying something).
You're half right.....the OG boys beat Colonel Crawford the night before the season shut down (It was a Weds night March 11th in BG) and were scheduled Saturday to play Evergreen.

The girls had fallen on March 7th in Lexington to Africentric 38-34 in a heartbreaker in the regional finals and would have played Anna on 3/13 in Columbus.

Columbus Grove was 26-0, AP #1, and took down AP #2 in the last game before the shutdown. The next year the same team minus 3 seniors got state runner-up to Botkins. We were robbed of the title in 2020
Covid ruined a lot of things that year.... heck Minster Probably had their best baseball team ever, and that season was ruined by the Gubberment way of thinking about Covid

Napoleon girls were the favorites in D2 and were in the arena when it was called off. They did win it in 2021. They could have won 2 in a row.

Lima Senior boys was also in the Regional Final.

New Philly and meadowbrook were both in the Athens regional that year. Both had a chance to go to Columbus that year. Wasn’t meant to be for anyone. Kinda of Sad for All !

The Health Department warned us about this happening a decade earlier. Not enough people took it seriously. For the record an Asian flu outbreak affected the Medina football team in 1957.

Anyway.
Yes, Grandview had Lachey (Iowa TE) dominating

Every team left in the tournament had their dreams crushed. The girls were at the arena on the court warming up when their state championship was canceled.