700 WLW

14Red

B - list day on 700 WLW. McConnell out, Cunningham out. Must have followed Cincy public schools off day due to the Super Bowl?? Game was over by what 11???

B - list day on 700 WLW. McConnell out, Cunningham out. Must have followed Cincy public schools off day due to the Super Bowl?? Game was over by what 11???
Tuned in this AM and had some BS segment on that wasnt worth the listen. I have to believe they had some of these garbage segments set up in case they lost.

Tuned in this AM and had some BS segment on that wasnt worth the listen. I have to believe they had some of these garbage segments set up in case they lost.
Yea, if I recall the host was talking to someone in Dallas about the JFK assignation?? I mean really, why not just open the phone lines and talk to some Bengal fans?? I'm sure a few were listening or going to work.

I really like McConnell, but they are wasting him in that early morning slot. They run commercials about 30 of the 60 minutes. Mike's bread and butter is talking to guests and callers. Sloanie needs to go.

I really like McConnell, but they are wasting him in that early morning slot. They run commercials about 30 of the 60 minutes. Mike's bread and butter is talking to guests and callers. Sloanie needs to go.
MIkey Boy had the prime slot until he left. Now he pretty much has to take what was given to him. He is, by far, the best and most sensible host they have

Hire Ken Broo fulltime to do the morning show. McConnell needs to go back to nine to noon and then Sloan should replace Rocky on the afternoon drive-time show. It's such a simple solution and something they should have done 5 years ago.

MIkey Boy had the prime slot until he left. Now he pretty much has to take what was given to him. He is, by far, the best and most sensible host they have
I heard that he did not want to "bump" anyone. But I'd be shocked if Sloanie has any kind of following that was even close to McConnell's and in that biz, it's not about taking what's given. It's all about ratings, that's a simple business decision IMO.

Hire Ken Broo fulltime to do the morning show. McConnell needs to go back to nine to noon and then Sloan should replace Rocky on the afternoon drive-time show. It's such a simple solution and something they should have done 5 years ago.
That makes sense to me, I'd guess at some point, Willie will be retiring and they'll probably figure it out from there. I think McConnell likes the morning gig so he can hit the golf course by 10AM daily. I just can't imagine getting up at 4AM daily.

Broo's a nice super sub. He's better in smaller doses.

Reactions: SLS
That makes sense to me, I'd guess at some point, Willie will be retiring and they'll probably figure it out from there. I think McConnell likes the morning gig so he can hit the golf course by 10AM daily. I just can't imagine getting up at 4AM daily.
I was going to say, too, that I wonder if McConnell is waiting to make a move until Willie retires.
Broo's a nice super sub. He's better in smaller doses.
I like what he's done in the past when he's filled in for McConnell on the morning show. His natural personality seems more suited to the structure of the morning show than what Sloan or Willie do on their shows. The station is lucky that he seems willing to fill in for anyone at any time of day. Just imagine what kind of bozos they'd be putting on the air on Sundays before the Reds/Bengals start if Broo weren't willing to work part-time.

I was going to say, too, that I wonder if McConnell is waiting to make a move until Willie retires.

I like what he's done in the past when he's filled in for McConnell on the morning show. His natural personality seems more suited to the structure of the morning show than what Sloan or Willie do on their shows. The station is lucky that he seems willing to fill in for anyone at any time of day. Just imagine what kind of bozos they'd be putting on the air on Sundays before the Reds/Bengals start if Broo weren't willing to work part-time.
Broo is semi retired and is a pro, he's been on air for years, mostly on TV. Their part timers get some crappy hours and holidays.

How can we make this happen? Sloan is a humorous character, but has no where close to the intellectual debate skills of McConnell or the knowledge Mike brings with him.

I would gladly listen to sloan over the two 3:00 -6:00 guys.

How can we make this happen? Sloan is a humorous character, but has no where close to the intellectual debate skills of McConnell or the knowledge Mike brings with him.

I would gladly listen to sloan over the two 3:00 -6:00 guys.
As I said earlier, I'd guess McConnell likes the early shift. Strictly speaking of skill and talent of talk show radio, there is no comparison between Sloan and McConnell. Also, I'd guess of the talk radio in Cincinnati, WLW beats the pants off the competition, so is there really any concerns with ratings?

I kind of liked Tracey Jones when he was with Eddie in the afternoon. WLW's sports crew of Lance and Mo are second to none. For a market like Cincy to have two guys like that is great.

I kind of liked Tracey Jones when he was with Eddie in the afternoon. WLW's sports crew of Lance and Mo are second to none. For a market like Cincy to have two guys like that is great.
Same.
Most saw the renaissance man as an arrogant SOB and I loved it. He reminds me of myself, put on a public arsehole persona but in reality a great guy.

Same.
Most saw the renaissance man as an arrogant SOB and I loved it. He reminds me of myself, put on a public arsehole persona but in reality a great guy.
As a talk show host you have to be entertaining, especially when it's general content. I think the sports guys can kind of hone in into specific sports and it's much easier because you have the local teams to discuss.

McConnell just comes across as such an intelligent/ level headed guy. I would have thought, if he wanted, he'd been a great mayor, senator or government official at some point. There's just way too much crap people are subjected to. I've often said we get the leadership we deserve. We make it incredibly unattractive to go into politics. There are alot of great leaders out there who have no interest in politics.

Totally agree about the Rocky guy. I used to listen almost every day until he started. He seems like a spoiled brat. Can't remember when he played in the NFL nor care. Eddie is ok, when they get rid of that Rocky guy I might tune back in. I'm your typical 60 year old pissed off white guy that are the only ones that listen to that station.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree about the Rocky guy. I used to listen almost every day until he started. He seems like a spoiled brat. Can't remember when he played in the NFL nor care. Eddie is ok, when they get rid of that Rocky guy I might tune back in. I'm your typical 60 year old pissed off white guy that are the only ones that listen to that station.
I think that afternoon drive segment is difficult for some reason. But AM radio is so choppy. At some point if they want to keep listenership they need to get rid of some of the breaks. I know it's $$'s but I think the listeners would increase.

John Kiesewetter had a piece on WVXU.org recently about Bill Cunningham. It looks like Willie has just a bit over a year left before retirement.
I can take Willie in doses, really depends on what he's talking about. I get tired of politics, but if he's got an interesting subject, I'll listen. I really hope the can put Mike McConnell in that noon-3 time slot, or bump Sloan into the afternoon and put McConnell back in the 9-noon slot.

Really going to crank up my WLW listening. Reds baseball starts this week. Really like the weekday evenings when the game is on followed by Lance McCallister and extra innings.

I can take Willie in doses, really depends on what he's talking about. I get tired of politics, but if he's got an interesting subject, I'll listen. I really hope the can put Mike McConnell in that noon-3 time slot, or bump Sloan into the afternoon and put McConnell back in the 9-noon slot.
When McConnell returned from WGN back to WLW (2014) he was on record as being good with the morning show and not the same type of thing he did prior to leaving for WGN. Of course it’s been several years and maybe he goes back to something similar to 2010 McConnell.
Really going to crank up my WLW listening. Reds baseball starts this week. Really like the weekday evenings when the game is on followed by Lance McCallister and extra innings.
I think Trumpy (for sports talk) was the best they had. Maybe because it takes me back to listening as a kid with my dad.