2024 U20 & U23 World Team Trials

Yankeefan33

Our final two men's freestyle age group world team trials will be happening May 31st-June 2nd in Geneva, Ohio. For U20s, the winners of the US Open will be sitting in a best-of-three finals.

57kg- Luke Lilledahl
61kg- Cael Hughes
65kg- Bo Bassett
70kg- PJ Duke
74kg- LaDarion Lockett
79kg- Zack Ryder
86kg- Aeoden Sinclair
92kg- Connor Mirasola
97kg- Camden McDanel
125kg- Jim Mullen

I think some weights that could have a viable challenger to that group are 61kg (with both Nasir Bailey and Kyler Larkin entered) and 125kg (I would pick Mullen, but Hopke, Sahakian, and Attao are all skilled). Flowrestling's list of entries is listed below:

U23s is a bit different in that there is nobody sitting in the finals, however three wrestlers have earned the U23 spot (should they choose to take it) by finishing top 3 at the Olympic trials at an Olympic weight. Marcus Blaze (3rd, 57kg), Mitch Mesenbrink (3rd, 74kg), and Isaac Trumble (2nd, 97kg) have until June 17th to accept their spot; if they do not, the winner of trials will represent the US in Albania.

All-Americans that I noticed that are entered at U23s are Ryan Jack (65kg), CJ Composto (65kg), and Bryce Andonian (74kg), along with a mess of NCAA qualifier-type guys. I'm sure we will get more entries in the next week, several NCAA champs are eligible here (O'Toole, Kerkvliet, Hendrickson, Flynn, Figueroa, Haines, Mendez).

Our final two men's freestyle age group world team trials will be happening May 31st-June 2nd in Geneva, Ohio. For U20s, the winners of the US Open will be sitting in a best-of-three finals.

57kg- Luke Lilledahl
61kg- Cael Hughes
65kg- Bo Bassett
70kg- PJ Duke
74kg- LaDarion Lockett
79kg- Zack Ryder
86kg- Aeoden Sinclair
92kg- Connor Mirasola
97kg- Camden McDanel
125kg- Jim Mullen

I think some weights that could have a viable challenger to that group are 61kg (with both Nasir Bailey and Kyler Larkin entered) and 125kg (I would pick Mullen, but Hopke, Sahakian, and Attao are all skilled). Flowrestling's list of entries is listed below:

U23s is a bit different in that there is nobody sitting in the finals, however three wrestlers have earned the U23 spot (should they choose to take it) by finishing top 3 at the Olympic trials at an Olympic weight. Marcus Blaze (3rd, 57kg), Mitch Mesenbrink (3rd, 74kg), and Isaac Trumble (2nd, 97kg) have until June 17th to accept their spot; if they do not, the winner of trials will represent the US in Albania.

All-Americans that I noticed that are entered at U23s are Ryan Jack (65kg), CJ Composto (65kg), and Bryce Andonian (74kg), along with a mess of NCAA qualifier-type guys. I'm sure we will get more entries in the next week, several NCAA champs are eligible here (O'Toole, Kerkvliet, Hendrickson, Flynn, Figueroa, Haines, Mendez).
Really would have liked to see Davino entered at 61kg, even 65 to go up against Bassett.

Got our first real medal contender registered this morning for U23s with Greg Kerkvliet at 125kg. Kerkvliet actually made the U23 team five years ago and took 5th there- took losses to Goloev of Russia (hasn't wrestled much since, obviously) and Munkhtur of Mongolia, who won world silver in 2022 and qualified for the Olympics this year.

Two VERY notable names registering last night at those weights: Marcus Blaze at 61kg and Ben Kueter at 125kg!

So to make this 100% clear ... if a U23 eligible wrestler finished top three at OTT, they AUTOMATICALLY get the spot for U23 worlds if they want it? The trials this weekend would be rendered irrelevant. Or is it a special wrestle-off scenario with the top three finisher facing off against the trials champ?

So to make this 100% clear ... if a U23 eligible wrestler finished top three at OTT, they AUTOMATICALLY get the spot for U23 worlds if they want it? The trials this weekend would be rendered irrelevant. Or is it a special wrestle-off scenario with the top three finisher facing off against the trials champ?
If you finish top 3 at OTT, the spot is yours. That applies to Blaze, Mesenbrink, and Trumble only on the mens freestyle side (I don't know the rules for the other two styles).

I know Blaze is going 61kg for U20s, gotta think that cut is rough for him. I could definitely see the other two guys accepting that spot.

Keegan OToole, Aaron Brooks, and Isaac Trumble all did this last year and all three won gold.

Edit- Just looked up the exact wording, if you win U23 trials at a weight that is occupied by a Senior team guy, you will still get an invite to national team camp and an opportunity to compete overseas at a tournament with "funding comparable to a U23 world team member". It's not U23s, but it's still a good opportunity.

Last edited:
U23 Freestyle
57 kgCooper ShoreOhioBuies Creek Wrestling Club
57 kgBrendan McCroneOhioOhio Regional Training Center
57 kgBraden HahlenOhioLake Erie Regional Training Center
57 kgCaleb EdwardsOhioEdinboro Regional Training Center
57 kgMicah MedinaOhioKnigths RTC
57 kgRobert SagarisOhioLIRTC
61 kgGavin CaprellaOhioAir Force Regional Training Center
61 kgLogan AttisanoOhioAir Force Regional Training Center
61 kgVinnie D'AlessandroOhioSpire Academy
61 kgGarett LautzenheiserOhioOhio Regional Training Center
61 kgAnthony SagarisOhioLake Erie Regional Training Center
61 kgJordan RodriguezOhioLake Erie Regional Training Center
65 kgTy DaughertyOhioSeasons Freestyle Club
65 kgJulian TaggOhioJackrabbit Wrestling Club
65 kgIsmael AyoubOhioNebraska Wrestling Training Center
65 kgCahiel LintonOhioCincinnati RTC
65 kgAustin McBurneyOhioBrown Regional Training Center
70 kgMichael PetrellaOhioBaldwin - Wallace
70 kgWynton DenkinsOhioBuies Creek Wrestling Club
70 kgKyle BizjakOhioOhio
70 kgJoey FumicOhioOhio
70 kgSean SeefeldtOhioPennsylvania RTC
70 kgAndrew ParishOhioPerrysburg Wrestling Club
70 kgJaivon JonesOhioArkansas Regional Training Center
70 kgBryce BrownOhioCincinnati RTC
70 kgJames ChanceOhioGeorge Mason University
70 kgEgidio DiFazioOhioLake Erie Regional Training Center
70 kgNick DeVolOhioCincinnati RTC
70 kgChase PluharOhioWarrior Regional Training Center
70 kgColin RobertsOhioOhio
70 kgBlake SaitoOhioBrown Regional Training Center
74 kgSamuel PartainOhioOhio
74 kgChristopher EarnestOhioBuies Creek Wrestling Club
74 kgBryce AndonianOhioSERTC- Virginia Tech
74 kgCarter ChaseOhioOhio Regional Training Center
74 kgAlex GareeOhioEdinboro Regional Training Center
74 kgEmmanuel ScordosOhioOhio
79 kgDylan NewsomeOhioCavalier Wrestling Club
79 kgNicholas CorenoOhioGolden Knights
79 kgLogan MesserOhioGeorge Mason University
79 kgLucas UlianoOhioBoone RTC
79 kgJustin MayesOhioSpartan Combat RTC/ TMWC
79 kgCarter LloydOhioBaldwin Wallace
86 kgDylan FishbackOhioWolfpack Wrestling Club
86 kgLuke VanadiaOhioMichigan Wrestling Club
86 kgGavin BellOhioOhio Regional Training Center
86 kgPeyton LemonOhioEagles Wrestling Club
86 kgAnthony DAlesioOhioLIRTC
86 kgRemington BauerOhioBaldwin Wallace
92 kgSeth ShumateOhioOhio Regional Training Center
92 kgGunnar PoolOhioBoone RTC
92 kgConner RogersOhioBW
92 kgAnthony GencarelliOhioHilltopper Wrestling Club
97 kgAustin KohlhoferOhioWest Point Wrestling Club
97 kgAdham ShalashOhioCincinnati RTC
125 kgWill GreenbergOhioThe Wrestling Factory of Cleveland
125 kgJadon BrownleeOhioJAB Wrestling
125 kgLogan ShephardOhioBuffalo Valley Regional Training Center
125 kgZachary DelsanterOhioPennsylvania RTC
125 kgLucas StoddardOhioWest Point Wrestling Club
125 kgMason CoverOhioCleveland Regional Training Center
125 kgMax VanadiaOhioMichigan Wrestling Club
125 kgBrentan SimmermanOhioGolden Pride Wrestling Club
125 kgAeden BegueOhioLIRTC

Think he meant 57 kg is a tough cut which is why he’s going 61 kg and u20 this weekend to try to make that, instead of just taking the u23 57 kg spot and not wrestling u20
I missed your post and almost posted the same comment as you did. There will not be much of a cut for Blaze to get to 61kg - and I knew Yankee would be aware of that. Just worded in a way that was not clear. I've learned he is rarely wrong on matters like that - just that he used a "short hand" method of posting in this case.

Some interesting names in there.
Julian Tagg for one.
Micah Medina from Clay being another. Just graduated last year from Clay, so going to U23 competition will be tough. But, why not give it a go? He lost to Blaze in state finals his senior year via tf (21-6). Did give him a good battle in one match earlier that year (or possibly the prior year), losing by something like 4-2. Also spelled Knights RTC - where Medina is wrestling out of - incorrectly. No respect given... ;)

Screenshot_20240530_150105_Facebook.jpg

Didn't realize Bassett was wrestling up at 65kg (143).

Also see that Luke Pletcher's brother is wrestling in the U23 at 70kg Wrestling at Pitt where Luke is an assistant coach. Also Luke's fiance, Hannah Mears, did a great job interviewing wrestlers post match while working for the BigTen network. She is also employed by the Pittsburgh Pirates. She and Luke are getting married next Saturday 6/8/24

13 mats set up for early rounds. Not going to try to watch more than a few matches this morning. Hope they get some brackets up will also try to set alerts for certain wrestlers and hope it gets to my iWatch while outside. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. It decides on hits own apparently.

Eh ...looks to be all GR today. Finally looked at the schedule instead of hunting for the brackets. Just doesn't hold that much interest for me.

No brackets shown for weekend Freestyle matches. Hopefully that is up by tonight or early tomorrow morning.

Why don't they get the brackets up based on who is entered and paid the entrance fee? Seems they wait for weigh ins before setting the brackets. If they don't show up or make weight, then it is a forfeit and you move on. Ding them on future seedings for not wrestling.

Correct me if I'm wrong on my assumption of why brackets are not available in advance of the start of the tourney. Looked last night and again early this morning and no brackets were available for GR which started this morning.

BTW - checked and none of the brackets for U20 GR are available as of 10:17am. The schedule shows both U20 and U23 being from 10am to 2:15 through the semis and finals starting at 4pm. I don't get it. Is Flo Arena the culprit for not getting that info ready and put on their site?

Last edited:
...and he wins it with a 10-0 tech fall. No brackets yet this morning for FS on Flo Arena site. There were a total of 46 wrestlers in U20 GR - spread across the 10 weight classes. There were 4 competitors in the 87kg. weight class that Rogotzke won. That bracket showed all 4 starting out in the quarter finals of the bracket, and surprisingly, they all had byes for that round. Go figure.

Much better representation in the U23 GR brackets. 21 in the 67kg bracket, but only 2 at 72kg. then 29 at 77kg. Only name I recognized was M. Shierl (Fritz?) who wrestled at 77kg. Lost in consi quarter #1 after being teched in first round 10-0. Was 2-2 on the day.

Cooper Shore (SPG) was 4th at 60kg. About the extent of names I recognized with an Ohio connection...

Last edited:
Just saw that Cam Amine is transferring from Michigan to Okla State. Others headed to Okla. State: Wyatt Hendrickson, Caleb Fish (MSU) and Dean Hamiti. Some old news.

Only Ohio State (the other OSU being mentioned) wrestler in the portal is Braxton Fries who is leaving the Buckeyes - but no takers have picked him up since hitting the portal on 3/20.

Brackets starting to be filled in now. N. Bouzkis gets #1 seed at 61kg. Gets a bye to round of 64.
Dylan Fishback with #1 seed at 86, Stevo Poulin #1 at 57. McCrone #27 and gets Tocci for first match in round of 64 via byes for both in first round. Tocci not seeded. Micah Medina gets first round bye and then #26 Perryman from Cyclone wrestling club. Only 14 wrestlers at 57 for U20 with Forrest #1 and Knox #2. Kilkeary shown as #11 vs. Mendoza of Spartan Wrestling at #6. No other brackets out there for U20 as of 9:35

Round of 128 started for 57/61/65. Round of 256 started for 70kg, etc. Brackets all filling in now still a couple not loaded yet. in U23 P'burg Wynton Denkins gets a 28 seed at 70 with Cannon from Ohio RTC #U20 still has a number of brackets not showing up yet. Nothing for 61 yet

If Vince Bouzakis wins his first match vs. C. Steed (?) he gets winner of Mantanona and Sealey. Only 8 entrants shown at 74 in U20

Rogotzke is 1 of 5 wrestlers at 92 and gets a bye to the semi finals. Faces winner of Wisler and Brophy to get to finals.

ok - now they are showing Blaze won 1st match in round of 16 by a 10-0 tf/ He's #1 and Davino #2. Blaze will get Bailey of Ark LR in semi-finals if the both win their Quarters. Don't see that not happening.