2024 Steubenville Big Red

That looks like it works out well for us and we have a good chance at winning the region again.
2023 Playoff points for current teams in R11.

1. Watterson - 30.55
2. Big Red - 28.87
3. Sheridan - 26.95
4. Hartley - 26.37
5. Granville - 25.10
6. Jackson - 24.49
7. Bloom Carroll - 23.94
8. Tri- Valley - 23.10
9. Hamilton Township - 21.20
10. Licking Valley - 18.14
11. Dover - 15.64
12. Independence - 15.20
13. John Glen - 14.20
14. New Phila - 13.00
15. Buckeye Valley 11.35
16. Carrollton 11.20

It should be a very competitive region.

Last edited:
There is 1 game at home that will have a great"atmosphere".
This is true…. Gone are the days of 6-7 thousand every game. People are aging out and young folks don’t show up.

But with now over 900 open enrolled students it doesn’t look like the tradition will stop any time soon.

Stuby will find out real quick after their first game what they have. Mcnick is pretty dang good. Their D3 and got some dudes that are very well coached. Good luck.

This is true…. Gone are the days of 6-7 thousand every game. People are aging out and young folks don’t show up.

But with now over 900 open enrolled students it doesn’t look like the tradition will stop any time soon.
Yeah, D2 Big Red is long gone. I recently watched an old Big Red State Championship game against Bucthel on YouTube and couldn't believe how many people were on the Steubenville side—possibly more than are currently in the town.

Despite their small size and lack of meaningful rivals, Big Red still draws a respectable crowd for D4 high school football.

I expect McNich, Dover, Linsly, and McDowell to sell tickets, and if LIU comes in with 8 or 9 wins, that may spark interest.

900 open enrolled students? I would think Big Red has about 1,800-2,000 students in the district K-12. Nearly half open enrolled? Is that real or is this an inside joke I haven’t heard before?

Where do most come from? Wintersville? Toronto? Buckeye?

900 open enrolled students? I would think Big Red has about 1,800-2,000 students in the district K-12. Nearly half open enrolled? Is that real or is this an inside joke I haven’t heard before?
Steubenville City Schools has around 2800 students in the district.

I'm not sure if he means all open-enrolled students or if he has inside info about incoming open-enrolled students headed to the high school. I know there are more kids at Harding Middle than at Big Red, so with the large frosh class and new students, it's possible that Big Red will have approximately 900 total students next year, which wouldn't surprise me given the new stem building is set to open.

I'm not sure if he means all open-enrolled students or if he has inside info about incoming open-enrolled students headed to the high school. I know there are more kids at Harding Middle than at Big Red, so with the large frosh class and new students, it's possible that Big Red will have approximately 900 total students next year, which wouldn't surprise me given the new stem building is set to open.
Wow I was way off on my projections. That makes sense with the 2,800 since they are now D3 and it sounds like lower grades have even more kids. They are only going to get bigger, which is a trend that is opposite of what is occurring throughout the rest of the Ohio Valley.

No one on that schedule will bring more than 300 people,other than Dover.I do commend both schools for at least giving us that every year.

No one on that schedule will bring more than 300 people,other than Dover.I do commend both schools for at least giving us that every year.
3.5- 4 hour drive from Cincinnati on Week 1 on a Friday night. McNicholas will probably have 3-4 buses of parents and adults. Not many students are going to (or be permitted to) make that trip on their own. I grew up in the Pittsburgh area and my wife is from Midland so I’ve driven that route many times.

3.5- 4 hour drive from Cincinnati on Week 1 on a Friday night. McNicholas will probably have 3-4 buses of parents and adults. Not many students are going to (or be permitted to) make that trip on their own. I grew up in the Pittsburgh area and my wife is from Midland so I’ve driven that route many times.
Are you a Trombetta or a Slappy?lol

In my mail this past week

IMG_7595.jpeg

3.5- 4 hour drive from Cincinnati on Week 1 on a Friday night. McNicholas will probably have 3-4 buses of parents and adults. Not many students are going to (or be permitted to) make that trip on their own.
Their coach is from Steubenville, so I'm sure it's a big deal for him and his family to come home and play.
No one on that schedule will bring more than 300 people,other than Dover.
McNich and Linsly will have fans. Even if McNich doesn't bring a few hundred, I'd expect CCHS fans to show up; their coach played there in the 80s or 90s.

Who is your alma mater?

In my mail this past week

View attachment 58055
I am from PA so please excuse my ignorance. I understand a shrinking school district wanting to regain some of its enrollment back, but at what cost? It is my understanding that the state only provides not even half the cost per student. Then local district needs to raise the remainder, therefore local residents are funding (being taxed) all the OE kids.

Am I missing something? What is the benefits of having so many open enrollment students, that they are advertising for more?

I am from PA so please excuse my ignorance. I understand a shrinking school district wanting to regain some of its enrollment back, but at what cost? It is my understanding that the state only provides not even half the cost per student. Then local district needs to raise the remainder, therefore local residents are funding (being taxed) all the OE kids.

Am I missing something? What is the benefits of having so many open enrollment students, that they are advertising for more?
Im not sure of the parameters but there must be something to wanting to attract more students.

Facilities/Academics are top notch not by my account but ratings sent out by professionals and the district is now opening a large Stem Center this fall that’s going to attract more.

Their coach is from Steubenville, so I'm sure it's a big deal for him and his family to come home and play.

McNich and Linsly will have fans. Even if McNich doesn't bring a few hundred, I'd expect CCHS fans to show up; their coach played there in the 80s or 90s.

Who is your alma mater?
I agree here. I don’t even think WP brought 300 last year.

Linsly football is dying off. You will see it this season and beyond. So maybe a struggle for them to top 300 as well.