2024 St. Edward Football

Yes, a great time for NEO football overall. The decline of WGH disappoints me the most. Epic playoff battles with the Raiders over the years with some all-timer type of players making all-timer types of plays.

The city in general is much different. Overall mentality is bad across the board, but we'll be back!

My friend & I both have some Harding-Eds classics uploaded to YouTube. One day, I hope to have all of them up.

I agree with 2003. Probably the best defense in that stretch of years but their offense and overall talent was a little down compared to the seasons around them. Their style helped them and I credit Gibbons to just putting his best athletes in a lot of different positions. Nakamura was the headliner, I don't think he ever took a play off, but Ryan Bailey, Ryan Marando, Ryan Adkins, Joe Kleinsmith, all took significant snaps going both ways. Heck Gardner was a starting DB and then became their first string option quarterback! Man football was different back then.

The 2002 team doesn't get a lot of love because Gibbons was outcoached pretty bad against Ignatius in the regular season (lost 25-2) and we lost an epic playoff game against Harding where it looked like we were going to win 16-15. Harding hit a huge pass play with less than a minute left to set up the game winning FG. Someone brought it up in a post above but I miss that Division 1, there were years where you could have had 5 or 6 teams end up with the title legitimately.

To answer Worm02's question about really good vs. great. I think you have to look at each year and think about the talent they had and what they did with it against the schedule they played along with expectations. The '03 team had 4 classic games, a 27-20 loss to WGH in the regular season, a nightmare loss against Brian Hoyer's St. Ignatius team 20-17, playoff wins over Harding 21-13 and Mentor 13-10. The 2012 team went undefeated and had more talent but against a softer schedule I would say. And just because they scored a ton of points didn't mean they weren't vulnerable. 2003 beat Massillon 27-6, not much of a blow out points wise but I don't think Massillon moved the ball past the 50 all game, their touchdown was a fumble return by an Ed's d-lineman who ran the wrong way. 2012 beat everyone, including a couple of shoot outs but lost a shoot out too. Same with 2013. I'd put all 3 teams in the really good category.

1975, 2014, 2005, 2023, I think those are the best teams Ed's ever had.
I would add the 2010 undefeated state champs to your list of the best teams Ed's ever had.

I would add the 2010 undefeated state champs to your list of the best teams Ed's ever had.
Yes, I meant to add them and just missed it, good call. In a "what if scenario" I wish that team would have been in 2007 or 2008 and watched them play in that Division 1. I think their best wins were over Glenville in the playoffs, Whitmer and of course Huber Heights Wayne in the title game. I give a lot of credit to Mentor for being able to be competitive with that team twice as well because very few of the rest of the teams they faced did. Elder, Ignatius and Moeller were all down that year, with the Wildcats missing the playoffs for the first time in like 20 years. I think because of that and the previous season's 4-6 campaign, we weren't quite sure how good we were until they absolutely stomped Glenville in the regional semifinal.

Last edited:
Yes, I meant to add them and just missed it, good call. In a "what if scenario" I wish that team would have been in 2007 or 2008 and watched them play in that Division 1. I think their best wins were over Glenville in the playoffs, Whitmer and of course Huber Heights Wayne in the title game. I give a lot of credit to Mentor for being able to be competitive with that team twice as well because very few of the rest of the teams they faced did. Elder, Ignatius and Moeller were all down that year, with the Wildcats missing the playoffs for the first time in like 20 years. I think because of that and the previous season's 4-6 campaign, we weren't quite sure how good we were until they absolutely stomped Glenville in the regional semifinal.
The 2010 team played, arguably, the toughest playoff slate of any other St. Edward team, going through a very solid Mentor team (who they had only beat by a TD in week one), undefeated Glenville, undefeated Solon, a one-loss Whitmer and then the Braxton Miller-led Wayne team. That run, along with the loaded O and D lines and an all-time gamer of a QB in Kevin Burke have the 2010 squad at the top for me. Following that title, the regular season schedules started to really beef up. 2014 and 2015 played brutal regular season schedules, but pretty much cruised to the title games.

Any idea how next years team will fair?
With 9/10 D-1 scholly players graduating.

Thinking they still have strong chance on getting out of region. With Cleveland hts being biggest challenge. And after that anything could happen.

I'm not expecting a state title like I was last year but if we don't win the region I think that's a disappointment. Way more worried about Ignatius making a big leap and getting good again, and then probably Cleveland Heights and even Mentor who should improve quite a bit this year as well.

Csanyi can sling it. I hope Tom adjusts his philosophy and lets him throw a lot in games. Could you imagine Brandon White with an effective downfield passing game? A defenses worst nightmare.

I'm not expecting a state title like I was last year but if we don't win the region I think that's a disappointment. Way more worried about Ignatius making a big leap and getting good again, and then probably Cleveland Heights and even Mentor who should improve quite a bit this year as well.

Csanyi can sling it. I hope Tom adjusts his philosophy and lets him throw a lot in games. Could you imagine Brandon White with an effective downfield passing game? A defenses worst nightmare.

With White’s receiving skills, no reason he shouldn’t play a big role in the passing game as well. I’m excited to see the new faces and what Lombardo does with them. As far as expectations, the bar right now is a state championship. But I agree with you that a regional championship might be a more realistic expectation at this point in time until we see how the ‘24 group progresses.

Hopefully, Ed's and Glenville can renew the series. Glenville needs to be tested against equal and/or better competition in order to win championships

Hopefully, Ed's and Glenville can renew the series. Glenville needs to be tested against equal and/or better competition in order to win championships
I can’t see any reason why they wouldn’t play next year, other than conflicts with current teams under contract.

Hackleman is a resourceful receiver, and White in space out of the backfield could be a nightmare. But are there enough receivers in the pipeline to provide Csanyi the weapons needed to keep defenses honest? Any Mason-like athletes?

Hackleman is a resourceful receiver, and White in space out of the backfield could be a nightmare. But are there enough receivers in the pipeline to provide Csanyi the weapons needed to keep defenses honest? Any Mason-like athletes?

Sophomore-to-be Tristin Hughes could be the next dude. Bigger than Mason (physically).

Last edited:
I don't think I will ever see a high school player that played so much bigger than he was compared to Kyan Mason. Kid was not only talented but incredibly tough. I swear I thought he broke his back on plays that he jumped right up from. A lot of schools overlooked him based on size, which makes sense, but I still think he's better than Akron. He will be playing quickly down there though.

With White’s receiving skills, no reason he shouldn’t play a big role in the passing game as well. I’m excited to see the new faces and what Lombardo does with them. As far as expectations, the bar right now is a state championship. But I agree with you that a regional championship might be a more realistic expectation at this point in time until we see how the ‘24 group progresses.
The bar for this team right now should always be a state championship. Last year I was expecting it. Right now, I think anything less than the final four would be a let down. But this could be the year (since 2010) we make it to Canton and don't come home with the trophy.

General question.. What is the actual seating capacity of Ed's stadium? I have seen 3 different websites and they're all different.. One says 800 which cant be true, one said 8,000 w/2000SRO and one said 6,800...Can someone clarify which one is correct please?

I'm assuming 800 is for Br. James Field behind the school. But that seems high. There's not 800 seats but I've seen a couple thousand there scattered around.

Lakewood Stadium had a big chunk closed off for a year or two, which is where 6,800 probably comes from. Lakewood at full capacity 8000 seated and 10k with standing. I've seen a lot more than 10,000 at Eds-Ignatius games years ago.

I'm assuming 800 is for Br. James Field behind the school. But that seems high. There's not 800 seats but I've seen a couple thousand there scattered around.

Lakewood Stadium had a big chunk closed off for a year or two, which is where 6,800 probably comes from. Lakewood at full capacity 8000 seated and 10k with standing. I've seen a lot more than 10,000 at Eds-Ignatius games years ago.
OK this all makes sense to me now.. thank you

Cam Boone and Xavier Styles both committed to D1-FCS Robert Morris recently. Boone had a great senior season against some top flight receivers and I really thought he would garner more interest from the "Group of 5" FBS teams. But in todays age of the transfer portal I suppose he could find his way onto an FBS team if he performs well enough.

Cam Boone and Xavier Styles both committed to D1-FCS Robert Morris recently. Boone had a great senior season against some top flight receivers and I really thought he would garner more interest from the "Group of 5" FBS teams. But in todays age of the transfer portal I suppose he could find his way onto an FBS team if he performs well enough.

I’m not sure the portal is why colleges are taking less highschool players out of highschool.
Kids aren’t graduating. They get covid year on top of red shirt and medical redshirt.
Some of these kids are hanging around getting 6 years!
The portal just takes kids from one school to another school. Meaning a spot exists to replace them. But who wants a true freshman when they can grab a 6 year 24 year old man ! Who has started for two years at a MAC school!
Plug and play player

With Slaper's recent commitment to Findlay, here is the updated tally for the senior class of '24:

D1 FBS
Ben Roebuck (Michigan)
Deontae Armstrong (Ohio State)
Devontae Armstrong (Ohio State)
Loghan Thomas (Notre Dame)
Troy Regovich (Northwestern)
Kyan Mason (Akron)

D1 FCS
Casey Bullock (Davidson)
Cam Boone (Robert Morris)
Xavier Styles (Robert Morris)
Michael Balogh (Colgate)

D2
Jonathan Slaper (Findlay)

Next year already hold 3 kids with D-1 offers
Bradley Eaton
Nate Gregory
BW

SO THEY ALL PLAYED TOGETHER ON TEAM LAST YEAR!!

So that made 9 D-1 kids on same team!
And a deserving D-2 kid that should have gotten a small D-1

Glad that it's official that the Massillon series will continue, and really glad it's up in Lakewood this time. Games have been dead in Lakewood playing these out of state and Cincy teams. Will be nice to see it rocking again.

Glad that it's official that the Massillon series will continue, and really glad it's up in Lakewood this time. Games have been dead in Lakewood playing these out of state and Cincy teams. Will be nice to see it rocking again.
Agreed. Nothing beats Friday (or Saturday) night lights. The Saturday afternoon/early evening games are just completely lacking in atmosphere. Massillon and Hoban are currently the only home night games on the schedule. I'm wondering if the Ignatius game will be played at Lakewood with the Cats getting the home side.

Agreed. Nothing beats Friday (or Saturday) night lights. The Saturday afternoon/early evening games are just completely lacking in atmosphere. Massillon and Hoban are currently the only home night games on the schedule. I'm wondering if the Ignatius game will be played at Lakewood with the Cats getting the home side.
We have our game in Lakewood Friday at 7p, I figured it was Saturday afternoon. FNL would be preferred but anytime the Eagles and Tarblooders tangle it’s a good one. I figured they’d cancel the scrimmage with the reg season game. Best of luck to you guys and see on 09/28!

We have our game in Lakewood Friday at 7p, I figured it was Saturday afternoon. FNL would be preferred but anytime the Eagles and Tarblooders tangle it’s a good one. I figured they’d cancel the scrimmage with the reg season game. Best of luck to you guys and see on 09/28!
Your hudl schedule is showing the game on the 27th at 7pm while ours is showing the 28th at 2pm. Not sure which is correct. But, either way, I'm excited about that one as well.

Rock Creek Christian Academy has closed their high school. St. Edward is now open Week 3.
The Rock Creek campus of Christian Academy (Louisville, Kentucky) closed in 2021. I could find no indication online that St. Edward’s 2024 opponent, Rock Creek Christian Academy of Upper Marlboro, MD (no affiliation with Christian Academy of Louisville), has closed or will be closing its high school.