Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Fostoria

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Lake

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rossford

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
Yeah, it was the latest one on the website. How many did it change to in the new contract? 3 years ago, the norm for successful programs was not 3 paid coaching stipends.
I’d agree with that.

Two things can be true at once though. The lack of a coaching stipend or 2 hasn’t been the issue for the lack of Woodmore football success the last 8-9 years

I’d agree with that.

Two things can be true at once though. The lack of a coaching stipend or 2 hasn’t been the issue for the lack of Woodmore football success the last 8-9 years
I was suggesting that it is indicative of a lack of support from administration.

I know very little about the Woodmore program other than the last time they had some real success Mike Lee was their HC in the mid 90's. I do know they have bled top tier talent over the last 20 years (two Weilands BTW). Having three paid assistants, even though they are probably broken up to accommodate more coaches, is not competitive. Not to mention it is tough to find good assistants today due to the time consumption required for such small pay. HS coaches are not getting rich.

Many districts do not really know how far behind they really are. And many fail to recruit their own buildings. You HAVE to build relationships with parents and kids alike at the junior high level. All of them, not just a select few. It is time consuming and difficult, especially when the kid has overbearing parents.

I know of one district that should perform better but they have had such a poor culture for so long that they are routinely behind the times. When talent leaves they take the attitude of "good riddance" which should NEVER be the answer. Coaches and administrators alike should take it personal when a kid leaves their district for athletics and work to ensure it does not happen again. I know solid programs do.

I know of another local district whose Superintendent, Principal, and AD all went to that HS, attended the same local commuter college, and returned to the HS. They do not know any better and they just have to do slightly better than the complacent person before them.

Jester mentioned it above, solid programs that "get it" know that good football sells the district in so many ways including other sports and most importantly it helps pass levies.

Eastwood has arguably the worst facilities (imo, there is no argument....they do) in the NBC....and they have the best top to bottom, boys and girls, athletics in the NBC and have for quite some time. I think the state of facilities gets overplayed when it comes to athletic performance. Thats for parents and coaches to gripe about when there isn't success. Coaching, kids, parents.....culture come first. Win and youll get that community support and likely the dollars that follow. Thats what creates solid programs.

Eastwood has arguably the worst facilities (imo, there is no argument....they do) in the NBC....and they have the best top to bottom, boys and girls, athletics in the NBC and have for quite some time. I think the state of facilities gets overplayed when it comes to athletic performance. Thats for parents and coaches to gripe about when there isn't success. Coaching, kids, parents.....culture come first. Win and youll get that community support and likely the dollars that follow. Thats what creates solid programs.
"You win with people." -Woody Hayes

I will agree with you there, for the most part. Of course there are outliers. There's a little program in East Central Ohio named Danville. The are routinely one of the lowest paying districts in the state. They've made the regional finals in the last two years and are traditionally a strong small school program with great history and culture. Their community takes great pride in athletics. Despite their low pay, they have an indoor facility. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles (from what I've heard) but it fills a need. Their community is all in on football and they in turn have great numbers in their program and consistently field a winning team. The number one most important factor is getting quality people in place to run the program. This includes administration and coaches but also includes boosters, and yes, parents supporting the program.

Also, looking into Eastwood's contract, they have 7 high school football stipends and 4 for middle school 1 for flag football vs Woodmore 3 for high school and 2 for middle school and no flag football. 12 stipends to 5 stipends is a pretty large discrepancy.

Last edited:
One HUGE item hindering Woodmore more than anything which has not been mentioned yet.....they have soccer..... they are too small to do both well!

Of the three remaining grass football fields in the NBC Eastwood's is the best.

And their turf fields have not appreciatively helped the underachievers on the bottom.

Of the three remaining grass football fields in the NBC Eastwood's is the best.

And their turf fields have not appreciatively helped the underachievers on the bottom.
I would disagree. Since the elder Rutherford left, the turf at Eastwood has been subpar. When he was there the grass was pristine. Now, I would rank them as Otsego, Genoa, and then Eastwood as far as the playing surface goes. Overall facilities I'd rank those 3 as Genoa, Eastwood, and then Otsego.

If we throw Oak Harbor in there, I put them right behind Eastwood facility wise.

Last edited:
I would disagree. Since the elder Rutherford left, the turf at Eastwood has been subpar. When he was there the grass was pristine. Now, I would rank them as Otsego, Genoa, and then Eastwood as far as the playing surface goes. Overall facilities I'd rank those 3 as Genoa, Eastwood, and then Otsego.

If we throw Oak Harbor in there, I put them right behind Eastwood facility wise.
That could be. It's been a few years since I have been on that field.

I forgot. OH still has a grass field.

Eastwood by far has the best grass field compared to the others in the league

It may have only been my view, but I remember Eastwood was initially far ahead of the SLL/NBC in facilities at one point. Their all weather track, large press box, weight room, gym…all were set as the standard and others had to catch up. This was 30 years ago, so with updates from the others it may put them behind, but having those facilities set the tone in a lot of ways.

Last edited:
It may have only been my view, but I remember Eastwood was initially far ahead of the SLL/NBC in facilities at one point. Their all weather track, large press box, weight room, gym…all were set as the standard and others had to catch up. This was 30th years ago, so with updates from the others it may put them behind, but having those facilities set the tone in a lot of ways.
I agree.

Tough to beat Rossford on the facilities front at this point. And while facilities do matter, culture reigns supreme. I cannot speak to today as much but Eastwood's culture has historically been top notch.

They don’t have soccer. 2022 was their final year with boys soccer.
oh wow, didn't know they dropped it....thanks
their school website still has it listed under athletics, but the last schedule listed is, as you mentioned 2022. But their girls' last schedule listed is also 2022....???

I know very little about the Woodmore program other than the last time they had some real success Mike Lee was their HC in the mid 90's. I do know they have bled top tier talent over the last 20 years (two Weilands BTW). Having three paid assistants, even though they are probably broken up to accommodate more coaches, is not competitive. Not to mention it is tough to find good assistants today due to the time consumption required for such small pay. HS coaches are not getting rich.

Many districts do not really know how far behind they really are. And many fail to recruit their own buildings. You HAVE to build relationships with parents and kids alike at the junior high level. All of them, not just a select few. It is time consuming and difficult, especially when the kid has overbearing parents.

I know of one district that should perform better but they have had such a poor culture for so long that they are routinely behind the times. When talent leaves they take the attitude of "good riddance" which should NEVER be the answer. Coaches and administrators alike should take it personal when a kid leaves their district for athletics and work to ensure it does not happen again. I know solid programs do.

I know of another local district whose Superintendent, Principal, and AD all went to that HS, attended the same local commuter college, and returned to the HS. They do not know any better and they just have to do slightly better than the complacent person before them.

Jester mentioned it above, solid programs that "get it" know that good football sells the district in so many ways including other sports and most importantly it helps pass levies.
Hard to believe Gibsonburg and Woodmore were among the league's best in that decade. Eastwood, followed by Genoa became athletic juggernauts in the 2000's and pretty much ran the small schools (Gibsonburg, Lakota, Woodmore and then Elmwood) out of the league.

I agree.

Tough to beat Rossford on the facilities front at this point. And while facilities do matter, culture reigns supreme. I cannot speak to today as much but Eastwood's culture has historically been top notch.

Rossford & Maumee are hampered on being mostly land locked, blue collar communities. Folks at the rural schools tend to simply buy lots and build larger houses, really the only move in Rossford & Maumee is to hopefully find one that hits the market or look in Perrysburg/Whitehouse/Waterville/Sylvania for something bigger. They're fine communities to live in, but I think it holds them back in consistency compared.

Hard to believe Gibsonburg and Woodmore were among the league's best in that decade. Eastwood, followed by Genoa became athletic juggernauts in the 2000's and pretty much ran the small schools (Gibsonburg, Lakota, Woodmore and then Elmwood) out of the league.

Rossford & Maumee are hampered on being mostly land locked, blue collar communities. Folks at the rural schools tend to simply buy lots and build larger houses, really the only move in Rossford & Maumee is to hopefully find one that hits the market or look in Perrysburg/Whitehouse/Waterville/Sylvania for something bigger. They're fine communities to live in, but I think it holds them back in consistency compared.
one of the biggest things that kill Maumee is St. John’s pretty much in their back yard. They lose quite a few to them.

A large part of the Rossford school district is rural Perrysburg Township. The City of Rossford is landlocked. The school district is far from landlocked. There is potential for significant growth; PT already just approved a 140 house subdivision located on SR795 in the Rossford school district and theres plenty more space available. Couple that with Wood County targeting SR795 to I-280 as an industrial corridor, and Rossford, Lake, and maybe even Eastwood could be looking at increased new home starts nearby.

one of the biggest things that kill Maumee is St. John’s pretty much in their back yard. They lose quite a few to them.
Rossford has lost a ton over the years to ALL the parochials. SJJ, SFS, Strich, and Central.....all located within a 15 minute commute. (probably a stretch for SJJ, but my point remains). And for a school that graduates about 125, losing a few athletes here and there, has been devastating at times and makes it even harder to rebuild. Given its proximity and relatively small size, Id argue that the parochials have hurt athletics at Rossford more than any other suburban school, not to mention others within the NBC that virtually go un-touched due to being 30 mins or more from most of the parochials. Thats why I dont wanna hear any griping about RHS having open enrollment.

Last edited:
Gotta start w winning more than 3 total games between boys basketball and football, if they dont want to lose anyone.

With the facilities that Rossford has to offer, they should never lose another kid to anywhere other than Central…
I don't know as much about Rossford as I do other districts. They had a good basketball program, what happened? They have the best facilities in the league, why can't they field a consistent winner in football? Personally, their stadium was my favorite in the league even back when it had grass that was usually in terrible shape. It's just has a really cool, classic feel to it. It's even more beautiful now since the renovation.

I don't know as much about Rossford as I do other districts. They had a good basketball program, what happened? They have the best facilities in the league, why can't they field a consistent winner in football? Personally, their stadium was my favorite in the league even back when it had grass that was usually in terrible shape. It's just has a really cool, classic feel to it. It's even more beautiful now since the renovation.
Do facilities matter that much in HS sports? Sure you can't have buildings falling apart, but it's coaching and culture that builds something great.

Their all-Ohio 6'11 D1 big guy graduated. Along with their all-Ohio 6'5 wing D2 guy. Also the two time all league point guard graduated too. And probably their career leader in 3pt FGM graduated too. That's what happened.

Their all-Ohio 6'11 D1 big guy graduated. Along with their all-Ohio 6'5 wing D2 guy. Also the two time all league point guard graduated too. And probably their career leader in 3pt FGM graduated too. That's what happened.
Kids graduate all the time. They were pretty good before that, weren't they?

Do facilities matter that much in HS sports? Sure you can't have buildings falling apart, but it's coaching and culture that builds something great.
I agree with you to an extent. Having a program is number one. Facilities, especially having an indoor facility where you can host offseason stuff, are big for attracting kids who might open enroll to your program. It's like recruiting without actually recruiting.

Last edited:
I agree with you to an extent. Having a program is number one. Facilities, especially having an indoor facility where you can host offseason stuff, is big for attracting kids who might open enroll to your program. It's like recruiting without actually recruiting.
I agree definitely because they don’t have to pay to use it, it’s not like a membership if that makes sense

Kids graduate all the time. They were pretty good before that, weren't they?

Not really. They have been the kings of average/consistent. Had a above average year in 13-14, good year in 14-15, then hit 4 straight years of average again. Then had the studs the last 4 years and were good. Now they are gone.