2024 HS Season

Just a theoretical question for you:
What's better, having a consistent coach for 4 years who maybe isn't the best, or having a string of good coaches in and out?
Well when you phrase it that way, the answer seems easy.. take the string of good coaches. But it has to be hard on HS kids to have a new staff 3 years in a row. I guess more than anything I hope to see some stability there in the future.

LaSalle does have some accomplished alumni, so yes it is sad. I can't really think of any of the alumni (outside of Andrew Kroger) who already have coaching experience, though (not that it's required). I'm probably forgetting someone, though. Hope someone can step up and help.
The only other LS grad i can think of that coached was Jack Goldschmidt. I believe he was an assistant for LS a few years back.

Just a theoretical question for you:
What's better, having a consistent coach for 4 years who maybe isn't the best, or having a string of good coaches in and out?
It depends on the gap between the "Good" coaches and the consistent coach obviously, but...

For individual growth, I think getting multiple good coaches who can different perspectives and identify different areas a player can improve themselves.

For advancing a program and being able to compete as a TEAM at a higher level I think coaching consistency is more important.

It depends on the gap between the "Good" coaches and the consistent coach obviously, but...

For individual growth, I think getting multiple good coaches who can different perspectives and identify different areas a player can improve themselves.

For advancing a program and being able to compete as a TEAM at a higher level I think coaching consistency is more important.
I think I agree. I think kids can get other perspectives, other styles and better coaches through club, private lessons and other avenues.

But to build a program, especially at a school that isn't a perennial winner, the consistency of a coach for multiple years really compounds the growth of the non-volleyball parts of the program that allow for improvement of the middle and bottom thirds of the rosters.

Wow. Looks like all OHSBVA Broadcast matches have been deleted. Everything from 2022 backward that wasn't saved is gone.
What a mess this transition to OHSAA has been. It basically looks like boy's volleyball never existed before OHSAA -- no records - no champs etc.

Unfortunately I think it will eventually turn into World Championships vs Super Bowls in the NFL. NFL teams were winning championships for many years, but nobody cares about anything except the Super Bowl era.
The only thing that makes me disagree with that take is with just how many GCL champs there were in the OHSBVA era, and that GCL fans never shut up about "back in their day."

The only thing that makes me disagree with that take is with just how many GCL champs there were in the OHSBVA era, and that GCL fans never shut up about "back in their day."
Good grief ! and this is coming from a guy named "TenRingsAndCounting" -- talk about never shutting up -- So win and you will get to say "back in my day." To the winners goes the spoils.
Most of the championships go to the schools that have feeder programs in grade school. It take people dedicated to advancing and growing the sport. Get up off of your a55 and do something about it at "your" school.

Has there been any word on the Moeller coaching vacancy? Just checked the school website and socials, but didn't see ay updates there. I thought they would have tried to fill that position by now

Has there been any word on the Moeller coaching vacancy? Just checked the school website and socials, but didn't see ay updates there. I thought they would have tried to fill that position by now
It has not been filled as of a few days ago. Odd that they are waiting so long, especially since at least 2 assistant coaches left the program too.

It has not been filled as of a few days ago. Odd that they are waiting so long, especially since at least 2 assistant coaches left the program too.
I don't think its a matter of them 'waiting'.. I have heard through the grapevine that many current/former coaches around the City have been approached. To no avail it seems.

I don't think its a matter of them 'waiting'.. I have heard through the grapevine that many current/former coaches around the City have been approached. To no avail it seems.
I would guess that this is right, which honestly, is so sad for boys volleyball.

The back-to-back-to-back state D1 championship program doesn't have many (qualified) applicants or interested parties.

It's hard to find HS coaches these days. Let alone, good ones.

I would guess that this is right, which honestly, is so sad for boys volleyball.

The back-to-back-to-back state D1 championship program doesn't have many (qualified) applicants or interested parties.

It's hard to find HS coaches these days. Let alone, good ones.
Perhaps they’re aiming too high or are looking in the wrong places. Through Ulland to McLaughlin to Meyer, they hired a young guy who ended up being good. Likely have to go that route again.

Walnut Hills announced a new coach on their IG. Haley Henry will take over in the post-Tombragel/Wheatley era.

Haven't heard anything about Moeller or LaSalle though.

Walnut could still be a pretty decent team this season. A lot of Walnut kids on Attack and OP rosters.

IMG_1744.jpeg

Very good hire for Walnut. Young coach that has experience in the girls and guys game. I’m excited to see her spin on the program.
Will be interesting from a talent perspective as well. Losing 2 of the better outsides in the state over the past 2/3 years to graduation won’t be a fun workaround, but they do have a number of kids playing club

Will be interesting from a talent perspective as well. Losing 2 of the better outsides in the state over the past 2/3 years to graduation won’t be a fun workaround, but they do have a number of kids playing club

OH is a bit of a question mark, but you have a decent group of returners from a state champ team. Wong at lib, Marcum as a setter, Geselbrecht at OPP and a couple younger middles who saw a lot of time in Ernst and Sauer.

If they can find some passing and a little secondary offense on the outside, they'll be competitive.

Also - who are we calling "2 of the better outsides in the state"? Hagerty? Legitimately wondering...

OH is a bit of a question mark, but you have a decent group of returners from a state champ team. Wong at lib, Marcum as a setter, Geselbrecht at OPP and a couple younger middles who saw a lot of time in Ernst and Sauer.

If they can find some passing and a little secondary offense on the outside, they'll be competitive.

Also - who are we calling "2 of the better outsides in the state"? Hagerty? Legitimately wondering...
The 2 outside hitters comment was referring to Walnut Hills.

I expect Moeller to possibly be right back in the state finals, probably against Liberty again if so. But yes, I was referencing Walnut in my post lol I expect them to be okay, just don’t know who will carry them now

I expect Moeller to possibly be right back in the state finals, probably against Liberty again if so. But yes, I was referencing Walnut in my post lol I expect them to be okay, just don’t know who will carry them now
Yeah I totally missed it.

I don't know that Moe will be right back in the finals. New coach, new culture and a fairly big ?? at both OH spots from what I can think of.

Granted, St X is seemingly always early season favorites, but I like the core St X will have this year.

GCL-S expected lineups

Moeller
S- Marcum
OH - Schutte?
OH - Blomer/Balda?
MH - Ernst
MH - Sauer
OPP - Geselbracht
L - Wong/Mack

X
S - Berkemeier
OH - Berkemeier
OH - Boyett/Taggart/Romeo/Bender?
MH - Jones
MH - Boyett/Taggart/Schulte
OPP - Boyett/Taggart/Schulte
L - Byrum

Elder
S - Kelly
OH- Tierney
OH - Davis
MH - Neimann/James/Tucker
MH - Neimann/James/Tucker
OPP - Jones?
L - Murray

Add anyone I'm missing. It will be a very interesting year where more talent is spread across Cincinnati rather than the 3 GCL schools. Roger Bacon, LaSalle, and McNicholas will all have some talent capable of taking down the big boys especially given some of the perceived holes that Moeller, Elder and X have to fill