2024 GCYL League Discussion

Victory definitely doesn’t need more numbers going forward IMO. Both them and Dominic have much larger enrollments in the younger grades than what they’ve had previously. I believe there are 45 kids signed up for Pony next year. I’m not sure there is a single kid signed up in the program from any of the Price Hill schools. Maybe 1-2 ?

Does anyone have an idea where the Martins kids are headed school wise? I would think Catherine's and Lourdes will get the most kids with the closure of the school.
Thought I heard they split between Als, Lourdes, and Catherine’s.

Antoninus numbers are fine. They are trying to get the parish family to play all sports together. Nothing more to it than that.

GCYL needs to be blown up and do a start over. These combined Parish teams have gotten out of hand and they are creating significant mismatches across the league. There are a couple teams out there I guarantee you they have kids that have never stepped foot in a church for Mass much less taken any Catholic classes.
So?

I’ve been pushing for a club team in addition to the grade schools. I’m sure the logistics make this impossible but my ideal vision would be a Jr Panther team with the Price Hill parishes and anyone else in City limits. Then you have 4-5 combined parish teams.

So Alter has their own elementary school team. I assume these are kids already committed to Alter. When you say community based teams you mean Centerville, Bellbrook, Dayton City schools etc?
Correct. They got kids from incarnation, Assisi, St Charles and a few other parishes. They compete against teams like Bellbrook, ect

Antoninus numbers are fine. They are trying to get the parish family to play all sports together. Nothing more to it than that.
No, that’s false. They are trying to get the OLL and Catharine kids because their numbers are very low. They snuck a flyer mentioning more playing time into the family bulletin without telling anyone. And there are still at least three viable and healthy athletics clubs in the family … no need to play all sports together.

It's a shame all these teams have merged, I think the wheelhouse number of kids on a team is right around 25.
More than that and then a lot of kids don't get much playing time and development.
Eventually you will have maybe 4 "teams' on the west side, and 4 on the east side, maybe mix in a club from hamilton, nothern ky

It's a shame all these teams have merged, I think the wheelhouse number of kids on a team is right around 25.
More than that and then a lot of kids don't get much playing time and development.
Eventually you will have maybe 4 "teams' on the west side, and 4 on the east side, maybe mix in a club from hamilton, nothern ky
Change is inevitable, you have to adapt.

They need to re-write rules because some Parishes are following the rules and others are not. Just need to get everyone on the same page because the product that is out there right now is not sustainable. The goal at this level is to develop players and you aren't developing players when teams have 50 to 60 players are playing teams with 20 to 30 players. It is ignorance at its best. Too many people are caught up in the wins and losses versus doing what is right and balancing out these teams across the league. The crap going on at SMOY/Columban, Cov Cath, and StJames is stupid.

No, that’s false. They are trying to get the OLL and Catharine kids because their numbers are very low. They snuck a flyer mentioning more playing time into the family bulletin without telling anyone. And there are still at least three viable and healthy athletics clubs in the family … no need to play all sports together.
Antoninus President told me they have plenty of kids. Some grades are small but they have the same numbers they always have.

Antoninus President told me they have plenty of kids. Some grades are small but they have the same numbers they always have.
Well if that’s truly the case, they should step back and leave the OLL and Catharine kids alone. Let them play with their friends they’re expecting to play with.

This whole thing has been stupid, mostly, I’m told, because of a goofy azzhat coordinator at Antoninus.

I’ve been pushing for a club team in addition to the grade schools. I’m sure the logistics make this impossible but my ideal vision would be a Jr Panther team with the Price Hill parishes and anyone else in City limits. Then you have 4-5 combined parish teams.
I'm not sure if all the price hill schools combined have enough to field a competitive team. No idea about their football numbers but sounds like they aren't contributing much to Victory/Dominic. Not sure how many Theresa kids play for antoninus either.

I would translate that means that they have 20+ kids per level if that's the case which I highly doubt they do. I don't even know what's a safe number anymore for the league with all the mergers and affiliations that took place over the years. You got Cov Cath with three teams on pony and reserve and a lot of 3rd and 5th only teams.

I would question if the St. A president even knows the in's and outs of the GCYL dynamic that is going on.

I'm not sure if all the price hill schools combined have enough to field a competitive team. No idea about their football numbers but sounds like they aren't contributing much to Victory/Dominic. Not sure how many Theresa kids play for antoninus either.
Add in Lourdes, Catherine and public school kids. Get as much talent under the Elder name, as possible.

Well if that’s truly the case, they should step back and leave the OLL and Catharine kids alone. Let them play with their friends they’re expecting to play with.

This whole thing has been stupid, mostly, I’m told, because of a goofy azzhat coordinator at Antoninus.
This Xs 1,000

Without all the facts are we really supporting the removal of St A's from the league with the unwillingness to help them survive? I hope that's not the case. If it takes Lourdes or Teresa - name the school to keep them as an active program then so be it. Or farm the players out to Victory/Visitation/Jude. Like that makes total sense!

Without all the facts are we really supporting the removal of St A's from the league with the unwillingness to help them survive? I hope that's not the case. If it takes Lourdes or Teresa - name the school to keep them as an active program then so be it. Or farm the players out to Victory/Visitation/Jude. Like that makes total sense!
"Unwillingness to help them survive" has been confused with simply not wanting to tell kids that if they want to play, they have to leave friends and the organization they've known for 5, 4, 3, 2 years or so, and go somewhere else. It's sheer foolishness, plus a single organization telling four other parishes to help them survive exactly as they demand or they're not willing to help is pretty crazy.

The best scenario is for Antoninus to join the Vols. Moving kids who wouldn't have a place to play to a place to play makes far more sense than uprooting kids who are already happy in an organization.

"Unwillingness to help them survive" has been confused with simply not wanting to tell kids that if they want to play, they have to leave friends and the organization they've known for 5, 4, 3, 2 years or so, and go somewhere else. It's sheer foolishness, plus a single organization telling four other parishes to help them survive exactly as they demand or they're not willing to help is pretty crazy.

The best scenario is for Antoninus to join the Vols. Moving kids who wouldn't have a place to play to a place to play makes far more sense than uprooting kids who are already happy in an organization.
I think that makes the most sense with that set up. Visi might not like it since it would be them and 2 club teams.

Visi
Vols (Jude/Lourdes/Antoninus/Als)
Victory (Dominic+Price Hill schools)

So it sounds like chaos associated with Beacons is starting to mess with athletics if I'm understanding the comments about St. A?

I think that makes the most sense with that set up. Visi might not like it since it would be them and 2 club teams.

Visi
Vols (Jude/Lourdes/Antoninus/Als)
Victory (Dominic+Price Hill schools)
Right. Catharine is also with the Vols. Plus there is Iggy and James over here as well.

I don't think it's that as much as it is a couple dudes trying to exploit Beacons for their own benefit.
Fair enough. Unfortunately, I think there's going to be many more issues like this.

The league definitely needs overhauling, especially with all the issues mentioned repeatedly on here.

Beacons has seriously screwed everything up and it's going to get worse.

As a thought experiment, what if the teams were organized by Beacons of Light parish family in the Southwest Region:

SW1: Visitation, St. Jude, St. Joseph North Bend
SW2: St. John the Baptist (Harrison)
SW3: Victory, St. Al on the Ohio, St. Simon, SVDP, St. Dominic
SW4: St. Teresa, St. William, St. Lawrence, Resurrection
SW5: St. James White Oak, St. Ann, St. Margaret Mary, St. Bernard
SW6: St. John Dry Ridge, Corpus Christi, St. John Neumann
SW7: Our Lady of Lourdes, St. Martin, St. Al Bridgetown, St. Catharine, St. Antoninus
SW8: St. Ignatius

Does anyone want a super team with Visitation and Jude combined? If combined would that parish family have 3 teams each at the K-1 and 2 grade levels? If separate, does Jude have enough at every level to go solo?
Where do kids from St. John Harrison play now? (And how did they get their own parish family?)
SW3 is already together, right?
Would there be too many players for SW4 and SW7 to combine but not enough for them to be two separate programs?
Are SW5 and SW6 all playing together as St. James?

Maybe a bad choice of words on my part. If they join the vols wouldn't that just increase an already tough participation head count that is already difficult to find playing time for the players? Just curious and I really don't know how a single program can dictate where kids play unless they are playing the AofD card. :oops: A lot of the GCYOL has it figured out on splitting by grade and fopr what ever reason Jude chooses not too.

Regardless it makes sense to try and figure a way to keep a fourth youth program on the westside somehow. I don't know the answer but doing nothing isnt good either.

Good opportunity for no-pressure evangelization, which is what we should be doing anyway.
When I was a kid, Fr. Pete at Victory would stop by at sporting events whenever he could just to be visible to the flock. He also played on the parish's "old timers" softball team. Do any priests do stuff like this today? I don't think I've seen any priests at any of my kids' sporting events.

As a thought experiment, what if the teams were organized by Beacons of Light parish family in the Southwest Region:

SW1: Visitation, St. Jude, St. Joseph North Bend
SW2: St. John the Baptist (Harrison)
SW3: Victory, St. Al on the Ohio, St. Simon, SVDP, St. Dominic
SW4: St. Teresa, St. William, St. Lawrence, Resurrection
SW5: St. James White Oak, St. Ann, St. Margaret Mary, St. Bernard
SW6: St. John Dry Ridge, Corpus Christi, St. John Neumann
SW7: Our Lady of Lourdes, St. Martin, St. Al Bridgetown, St. Catharine, St. Antoninus
SW8: St. Ignatius

Does anyone want a super team with Visitation and Jude combined? If combined would that parish family have 3 teams each at the K-1 and 2 grade levels? If separate, does Jude have enough at every level to go solo?
Where do kids from St. John Harrison play now? (And how did they get their own parish family?)
SW3 is already together, right?
Would there be too many players for SW4 and SW7 to combine but not enough for them to be two separate programs?
Are SW5 and SW6 all playing together as St. James?
Interesting thoughts.

I really think this is inevitable. How long? Who knows. But I think it does happen.

Looking at GCYL website, it says St. Als on the River is with St. Antoninus along with St. Teresa. And St. John HArrison currently plays with the huge conglomeration of St. James

When I was a kid, Fr. Pete at Victory would stop by at sporting events whenever he could just to be visible to the flock. He also played on the parish's "old timers" softball team. Do any priests do stuff like this today? I don't think I've seen any priests at any of my kids' sporting events.
The only priest I have ever seen at any sporting event is Fr. Ben at OLV shows up from time to time to be visible. I have never seen a priest show up to tournaments that are held, championship games, school plays, or any other type of competition involving their students. It's really quite sad.