2024 D2 Early Outlook

cjb5656

A great 2023 season in D2 ended with the Massillon Tigers topping the Hoban Knights for the championship.

2024 is here and D2 is likely to be another fun ride again, especially if Toledo Central Catholic returns to the division. For now the Irish are D3. Open for discussion in the thread, of course, but I’ll leave them out of the initial rankings for now.

Once again, I see a big three…a notch above the rest.

1. Massillon - defending champs until beaten

2. Hoban - will be formidable as always

3. Avon - loaded with returning talent

Who fills out the rest of the top ten? Will anyone break up the top three?

Winton Woods will have a rock solid defense with a lot of top Div 1 talent returning

We also have some extremely talented skill players on the offensive side.

However, the biggest key and question is can the

QB position make significant progress.

Can the O line be vastly improved.

But yes I fully expect the Warriors to definitely be in the conversation and compete for a league championship.

Go Warriors

A great 2023 season in D2 ended with the Massillon Tigers topping the Hoban Knights for the championship.

2024 is here and D2 is likely to be another fun ride again, especially if Toledo Central Catholic returns to the division. For now the Irish are D3. Open for discussion in the thread, of course, but I’ll leave them out of the initial rankings for now.

Once again, I see a big three…a notch above the rest.

1. Massillon - defending champs until beaten

2. Hoban - will be formidable as always

3. Avon - loaded with returning talent

Who fills out the rest of the top ten? Will anyone break up the top three?
Massillon #1…Massillon #2….Massillon #3…Massillon #4….Massillon #5…Massillon ##6…Massillon #7…Massillon #8…Massillon #9…Massillon #10…Lol!

Uhm... I'd put Massillon at #11 also. What's wrong wit u?
I'm gonna say this is Avons year. Hoban looses alot but their tentacles are long and legal. Winton Woods is my dark horse. Massillon should win their region, then you never know. TCC could change everything.

Uhm... I'd put Massillon at #11 also. What's wrong wit u?
I'm gonna say this is Avons year. Hoban looses alot but their tentacles are long and legal. Winton Woods is my dark horse. Massillon should win their region, then you never know. TCC could change everything.
I think I read somewhere Tcc lost a lot from last year. Hoban and Massillon lose some big time studs but also return a good amount of studs. Ever year it comes down to the same basic 5 or so teams in D2. Massillon, Hoban, Avon Tcc and one of Winton Woods, Lasalle, Anderson in region 8.This next year will most likely be the same teams in the hunt for the D2 state championship.

The way I see it, one play one break one bounce of the ball (or one injury) is all that separates Massillon, Hoban, Avon, TCC. That makes it wide open.

WW would not surprise me, they have proven it before, ditto LaSalle, but they have a little more to improve upon than the other 4. Anderson is very dangerous but not as stout defensively.

Which has got to be boring for those who aren't fans of one of those teams.

In a sense. Though D2 is/was the hottest ticket for statewide interest and fans in general. 5 different state champs in the past 5 years. Boring (to me) is when ONE team is consistently and CLEARLY better than anyone in the division and wins several in a row. I'd say D2 is in the middle of the pack as far as parity.

More than D1. More than D6/D7 depending where Kirtland and ML bounce around. If TCC stays in D3 the rest can just forget about it. Ditto Glenville in D4.

In a sense. Though D2 is/was the hottest ticket for statewide interest and fans in general. 5 different state champs in the past 5 years. Boring (to me) is when ONE team is consistently and CLEARLY better than anyone in the division and wins several in a row. I'd say D2 is in the middle of the pack as far as parity.

More than D1. More than D6/D7 depending where Kirtland and ML bounce around. If TCC stays in D3 the rest can just forget about it. Ditto Glenville in D4.
I agree. D2 has much more interest than D1.

Like it or not (and admit it or not), that's because of Massillon.
I watched the semis and championship game last year, they were definitely machine.

I am a homer for Cincy teams however.

The thing I enjoy best about D2 is the creativity and variety of schemes you see. The coaches I feel really adapt to their personnel better than the D1 coaches overall.

And Massillon was definitely entertaining last year.

I agree with this. It’s a lightning rod program for both admirers and detractors, which means it draws everyone’s attention, love or hate.

Add Glenville to D2 and more attention is paid. And Hoban gets a lot of love/hate attention, as well.

We may move up to D3, but TCC may move up to D2 with you guys. If they stay and we move up that will be a great game in the final four or championship.

Last edited:
That is part of it - but FWIW, I think it is because of how good and how even the top 4 to 5 teams are. As mentioned - unlike other divisions were the state champ is pre-ordained.

Hope so. Nobody in D3 is beating TCC and nobody in D4 is beating Glenville. That would be a great game.
Aren’t they do for a down year like St. X, Elder, Moeller or Mentor or are they just loaded for the foreseeable future and if so, how do you know that? Or is it simply implying that no public school can compete with a private school in D3?

Look for Perry to be in regional final. They have a lot coming back from last years squad! 10 starters on offense and 11 on Defense. I think they call that a force to be reckoned with! Go Panthers!!

Look for Perry to be in regional final. They have a lot coming back from last years squad! 10 starters on offense and 11 on Defense. I think they call that a force to be reckoned with! Go Panthers!!
4-7 to regional final would certainly save Slates’ job