2023 XC Season

What's the story on the Lakota East Fall Classic course? Long/Short/Correct length? Difficulty? Where/what's the facility name?

I know the ground's hard, so times bound to be fast. Prodoehl drops another bomb with her 17:22.02 win there yesterday. #21 performer all-time now, up from #28 from just last week. Hope she's not peaking.
Same course. Only TWO sub-15s ever run on the course (Mountain and Zegarski, both at District). First chart has times for the Lakota East meet. Second for GMC, last one for District. All the same course.
1693233132638.png

1693233061802.png

1693233208257.png

It's the same course year after year. It has yielded a bunch of sub 15s on the boys side (usually at GMC and district).
Two sub-15s ever.

Edit. Went back and thru milesplit to the VOA site and ran all time records (across any meets). Looks like FOUR different athletes under 15.

1693233995300.png

Last edited:
It looks like most of the Boardman D2 regional contenders are at Marlington tomorrow, but not the Bulldogs. Does Marlington have a lot
less depth this year?

It looks like most of the Boardman D2 regional contenders are at Marlington tomorrow, but not the Bulldogs. Does Marlington have a lot
less depth this year?
At least 1 guy from their top 5 is currently out. Their depth took a hit from graduation, but they haven't really had huge numbers to work with during this run. Prior to this run, they barely had enough boys for a team.

IIRC, Woodridge likes to take this weekend off due to the holiday.

Made the trip to Silvercreek Metro Park on Fri. evening for U. of Akron's Tommy Evans Invitational. Bigger than normal list of schools competing thanks to the course hosting the NCAA D3 regional this year. It will also be hosting the NCAA D1 regional next year. Saw quite a few area HS coaches cheering on their recent alumni that were competing for the various colleges in attendance.

A long way to go in the season, but Marlington just squeaked by Bay, so it looks like they may need to get that 1 guy back.
The door is open for Woodridge.

A long way to go in the season, but Marlington just squeaked by Bay, so it looks like they may need to get that 1 guy back.
The door is open for Woodridge.
Stop sandbagging. Bay is back and clearly the favorite to take down Marlington. Marlington looks to have a 4-5 issue. They need to improve even if getting one of their top 5 back. Should be fun to see how Bay improves as the season goes. Bay needed two of their 2-6 to each just improve 3 seconds and they beat Marlington. It was right there for them to get. 6-7 just needed to catch Marlington's 5, Have to finish. Each guy has to just get that one guy in front of them. Good early season race to show 1-7 how important to just get one more is. Big to destroy Hawken like they did too. Now Bay needs to refocus and learn to handle having the bullseye clearly on them. Marlington has someone breathing on their neck.

I'm sure Woodridge will scrape something together.

Stop sandbagging. Bay is back and clearly the favorite to take down Marlington. Marlington looks to have a 4-5 issue. They need to improve even if getting one of their top 5 back. Should be fun to see how Bay improves as the season goes. Bay needed two of their 2-6 to each just improve 3 seconds and they beat Marlington. It was right there for them to get. 6-7 just needed to catch Marlington's 5, Have to finish. Each guy has to just get that one guy in front of them. Good early season race to show 1-7 how important to just get one more is. Big to destroy Hawken like they did too. Now Bay needs to refocus and learn to handle having the bullseye clearly on them. Marlington has someone breathing on their neck.

I'm sure Woodridge will scrape something together.
Thanks for taking the bait, knew you would. Good deflection. There is still a tiny bit of life on this forum Jakeburg.

It’s only been one race but barring injury I’d be shocked if it’s anyone other than Mason or Mas. Jackson on the podium at the end of the year. St. X is usually up there but at this point their 2-5 look well behind those two.

Thanks for taking the bait, knew you would. Good deflection. There is still a tiny bit of life on this forum Jakeburg.
The thing with Marlington right now is their #1 has no room for improvement. Nothing he does matters in a positive way. They look to have a 4-5 issue right now and possibly a 5 problem at a minimum come championship time. Depth is an issue. Plenty of season to get it together, but they are beatable.

Bay looks solid. Really could have and probably should have beat Marlington.

Woodridge is young and has a ton of depth. They tend to improve slightly more than other teams as the season moves towards the championship phase. Woodridge handled Marlington in the Spring and earned the runners up trophy for track and field at the state meet. Will that mean anything in Cross Country? Probably not, but it's always nice to mention that the Woodridge boys were the State meet runners up in Track & Field in 2023.

But for now, it is clearly Marlington and Bay that are the teams to beat. It's just an honor that Woodridge is mentioned as having a chance against those two.

It’s only been one race but barring injury I’d be shocked if it’s anyone other than Mason or Mas. Jackson on the podium at the end of the year. St. X is usually up there but at this point their 2-5 look well behind those two.
Well, Dub. Coffman just beat Mas. Jackson and St. Xavier.

And Westerville North has looked solid.

In no particular order, I think Dub. Coffman, Mas. Jackson, Mason, St. Xavier, Westerville North, and Wor. Kilbourne all have podium potential.

Well, Dub. Coffman just beat Mas. Jackson and St. Xavier.

And Westerville North has looked solid.

In no particular order, I think Dub. Coffman, Mas. Jackson, Mason, St. Xavier, Westerville North, and Wor. Kilbourne all have podium potential.
Dublin Jerome was thout their #2 (who was a state meet qualifier in the 3200 last year as a sophomore) at Hot Summer Bash. With him racing, Coffman and Jerome would have been very close. So I would add them to your list.

Westerville North is still my pick as the best team in D1 at the Pickerington regional, with Jerome right behind, and Liberty, Kilbourne, Coffman and probably Orange right now. And I have learned not count out Lancaster at the end of the season.

Dublin Jerome was thout their #2 (who was a state meet qualifier in the 3200 last year as a sophomore) at Hot Summer Bash. With him racing, Coffman and Jerome would have been very close. So I would add them to your list.

Westerville North is still my pick as the best team in D1 at the Pickerington regional, with Jerome right behind, and Liberty, Kilbourne, Coffman and probably Orange right now. And I have learned not count out Lancaster at the end of the season.

Thoughts on the rankings this week, coach? I mean....

Mas. Jackson was missing one of their top returners from last year at the Hot Summer Bash, not sure what the deal is. All I know is looking at what they're returning from last year that team should be loaded, 4 guys that finished top 65 at state and another that would have if he finished. And Mason is Mason, 4 guys under 16:06 already. They'll find a 5th before it's all said and done. I agree with the Westerville North pick out of Columbus, it's crazy how much talent graduated out of that region last year.

Why can't coaches take these polls more seriously. Bluffton ranked 26th (14 points) in D3 boys when they don't even have scoring team all they have run this season is 4 boys with the fastest being 18:51 and 4th boy running a 22:36.

Thoughts on the rankings this week, coach? I mean....
Well, I always think it's too early to rank teams, even when I was a voter. That said, Mason clearly deserves to be #1. Westerville North is highly under-ranked. Coffman is a little too high. Kilbourne is not getting enough respect.

Mas. Jackson was missing one of their top returners from last year at the Hot Summer Bash, not sure what the deal is. All I know is looking at what they're returning from last year that team should be loaded, 4 guys that finished top 65 at state and another that would have if he finished. And Mason is Mason, 4 guys under 16:06 already. They'll find a 5th before it's all said and done. I agree with the Westerville North pick out of Columbus, it's crazy how much talent graduated out of that region last year.
That missing runner was their #8 finisher at Solon 2 weeks ago. Their #7 from this past Saturday was their #5 at Solon. They have a lot of interchangeability behind their top 2 runners.

Westerville North with a huge win at Tiffin without Gabelman (although their seemed to be several top runners missing at Tiffin this year)

Mason wins at home against a solid Brownsburg (IN) team.

What else did we see today?

I need it explained to me the decision to move up a division in invites only to be non competitive. What is the lesson? What is the benefit? I can see if your team would not be challenged in their normal race, but I'm seeing teams that are just ok in their own division bumping. And, it's not like their top runner is the best either.

Why finish 12th as a team instead of 3rd? Why avoid teams you will see later on in the championship part of the season.

You need to see what it's like to finish 30 places further back than you will ever experience in any other race.

Well, I ask the Minster girl’s Coach that question today (I know they won the DI race at Tiffin) and she said they wanted to run early in the day as DIII wasn’t until 1:30 pm. The team that got 2nd place in DI was also a DIII school (fort Loraimie). Also, Tinora and a couple other D3 teams raced DI as well. Maybe all for the same reason. I know I have moved up so that I could coach/watch my JV or middle school kids as having back to back races is sometime tough with only one coach. School transportation could also be a factor in the schedule for your school. If you have raced the same teams 2 or 3 times in a month, you may also want to change it up a little too. Maybe you want to be in a smaller or bigger field. Probably 10 different reasons why…. You mentioned a couple. Competition or for your top kids, or maybe Moving up will allow your team to get more individual awards. Maybe you want to beat the rain or make sure you know the course and you want you team to see where the previous race went.

I need it explained to me the decision to move up a division in invites only to be non competitive. What is the lesson? What is the benefit? I can see if your team would not be challenged in their normal race, but I'm seeing teams that are just ok in their own division bumping. And, it's not like their top runner is the best either.

Why finish 12th as a team instead of 3rd? Why avoid teams you will see later on in the championship part of the season.

You need to see what it's like to finish 30 places further back than you will ever experience in any other race.
I agree no idea why a coach would do that. I makes sense for Minster girls to run and win the D1 race at Tiffin.

I'm told there were some crazy fast times at Wooster on Saturday but cannot get the results to come up. Said results will likely trigger the standard battery of questions. The course has always had a reputation for being fast. That meet appears to have siphoned off a large number of NEO teams that used to go to Tiffin.