2023 Volleyball Season

I hope you are wrong with the migration to club - you could see this in soccer for a couple of years back but I have not seen too much of this any more as a buddy of mine had a girl play soccer at a competitive soccer high school and there were a couple girls that could have done this but elected to play for their high school
I hope I am wrong as well but unless OHSSA makes some changes I think it is heading in that direction for many of the Elite Players. Soccer continues to lose more and more girls to Club Only. I am telling you right now if JO/Club ever goes to a model where the girls do mainly strength training in the fall, maybe a practice/positional per week, and a couple scrimmages throughout the fall high school is going to lose the top players. They know college Coaches are doing very little recruiting. Don't get me wrong the atmosphere for high school is a 100X better but volleyball has become a year around sport and something is going to give at some point and the Clubs are going to step and say enough is enough, the athletes need more downtime just as Soccer has done.

I hope I am wrong as well but unless OHSSA makes some changes I think it is heading in that direction for many of the Elite Players
What changes do you think OHSAA needs to make? Are there really that many high level players skipping HS for club? Enough to practice and scrimmage? How do college coaches feel about players skipping HS seasons? I would think negatively. I get the sand players skipping due to camps and such, but really that is a different sport and wouldn't be effected by OHSAA rules.

Looks like Mason gave Ursuline all they could handle last night but couldn't seal the deal. They should be encouraged by going head-to-head with 2 teams projected to be in the competing for the regionals. Another tough match on Saturday

Was anyone there? Heard Mason was up 9-2 in the 5th and let UA back in it

Using Mason as a "control group" - have to say SUA is the early favorite as the team to beat

Looks like Mason gave Ursuline all they could handle last night but couldn't seal the deal. They should be encouraged by going head-to-head with 2 teams projected to be in the competing for the regionals. Another tough match on Saturday

Was anyone there? Heard Mason was up 9-2 in the 5th and let UA back in it

Using Mason as a "control group" - have to say SUA is the early favorite as the team to beat
I always tell folks that volleyball is now the last team sport with out a clock used during play, you cannot just sit on the lead and wait for time to run out. It ain't over until that last point is won and sometimes that is the hardest one to get. My guess is that Mason got into their bad rotation and Ursuline found the weak link and every serve was a rocket to that girl. Daughter's team lost a chance at the final 4 her Senior year because an over matched DS could not make a pass when it counted, nothing worse for the girl or her family then seeing a melt down at key point of a set and there is nothing anyone can do. This is why depth is so important at the higher levels.

Every team seems to have that one rotation that can haunt them from time to time which is why I loved it when you have a Setter or another player that can hit the pass just to change things up. Sometimes hitting that 2 ball can catch teams off guard but not every team has a Setter/Hitter that can do that.

I always tell folks that volleyball is now the last team sport with out a clock used during play, you cannot just sit on the lead and wait for time to run out. It ain't over until that last point is won and sometimes that is the hardest one to get. My guess is that Mason got into their bad rotation and Ursuline found the weak link and every serve was a rocket to that girl. Daughter's team lost a chance at the final 4 her Senior year because an over matched DS could not make a pass when it counted, nothing worse for the girl or her family then seeing a melt down at key point of a set and there is nothing anyone can do. This is why depth is so important at the higher levels.
That is the beauty of volleyball - it is all about the matchups & all is good until you get into a bad rotation.

I was just curious if it was because of what you mentioned, or with the coach being new, he didn't make the right substitution or they had a chances to make plays/hits but couldn't put them away. Sometimes the other team just makes the better play.

I agree depth is huge along with experience playing in these intense matches

Volleyball being the last Team sport without a Clock used during play is simply false! Baseball and Fast Pitch Softball don’t have a Clock and are very Team oriented sports. How has Kings looked so far? I know only a week so far but I have heard Seton looks pretty good too!

Every team seems to have that one rotation that can haunt them from time to time which is why I loved it when you have a Setter or another player that can hit the pass just to change things up. Sometimes hitting that 2 ball can catch teams off guard but not every team has a Setter/Hitter that can do that.
Usually is when the setter is up front on the rights side with the 2nd middle and the girl playing all the way around in the back row. In the later sets that girls playing all the way around starts to get tired or if that DS is not solid things get tough to get that side out.

Volleyball being the last Team sport without a Clock used during play is simply false! Baseball and Fast Pitch Softball don’t have a Clock and are very Team oriented sports. How has Kings looked so far? I know only a week so far but I have heard Seton looks pretty good too!
MLB, Minors, & NCAA are now using a pitch clock for baseball and it has changed the game. No more just slowing down the game to a death march when someone gets on base. Yeah I don't see the HS game yet adding this but maybe down the road? For fastpitch I have been to some HS games where they should start to use a clock.

MLB, Minors, & NCAA are now using a pitch clock for baseball and it has changed the game. No more just slowing down the game to a death march when someone gets on base. Yeah I don't see the HS game yet adding this but maybe down the road? For fastpitch I have been to some HS games where they should start to use a clock.
We talking about HS. There is No Pitch Clock or Clock of any kind. 1 minute max in between Innings is about it as far as time or a Clock.

Kings - Mason took them to 5 & they were down 2-1 - other than that, they are taking care of business. Monday they play SUA so that would be an interesting match to attend.

Hard to gauge any of the GGCL teams so far. They are doing what they are supposed to be doing - beating the teams that aren't in their league. As a point of reference someone posted in the board somewhere is I think the last loss a GGCL team had to a public school may have been in 2018/2019. I only mentioned SUA, UA & Kings earlier because Mason was a common opponent. Plenty of instances over the years where a ggcl team goes into league play undefeated but ends up with below .500 league record. League play for them starts the first week of September.

Kings vs St Ursula -- Monday Night. Two of the better D1 teams in the State.
In the grand scheme of the season and tourney seatings, it doesn't mean much but boy what a huge game at this early juncture. SUA still has the league gauntlet to run through and Kings is still playing Seton & UA

Another big game tonight is Mason vs Roger Bacon.

Heard from a couple people that went and basically said it was 2 heavy weights throwing hay makers at each other - SUA just had more fire power and more options to go to.
SUA has more depth and it sounds like Kings struggled with their blocking. I look for Kings to regroup with a number of tough games left on their schedule because there are several teams in the ECC that are going to push them.