2023 TRC football

Milton opens with Versailles and Valley View. They better hope more kids go out for football next year. Finishing at 7-4 with 30 kids on the team was a testament to the coaching at Milton and the weak league. Riverside shocked me losing in round 1. Milton was tired and beat up. Shawnee got better with every game they played. Brookville will win that one easily.
I can see Milton opening ‘24 with 3 losses. Oakwood is always a toss up.
Covington needs to get their act together, somehow. Miami East was competitive this year. Lehman seems to be getting things moving. Everyone else is as expected. Congrats to Riverside!
Seems Milton goes through these rebuilding years about every 5-6 years. They’ll be back.
Milton definitely has phenomenal coaching! When would you say a full rebuild in the program is likely to happen, Pierce has been there for over 20 years now and the assistants pretty much around the same length of time. Ive been wondering each year when that group would hang up the whistle which is definitely worrisome as they've kept the tradition alive over there.

Milton definitely has phenomenal coaching! When would you say a full rebuild in the program is likely to happen, Pierce has been there for over 20 years now and the assistants pretty much around the same length of time. Ive been wondering each year when that group would hang up the whistle which is definitely worrisome as they've kept the tradition alive over there.
i’m pretty sure Pierce left for a bit then came back. hasn’t been at Milton for any more than 7 consecutive years at this point? BlessEmAll could give you some better insight.

Bret Pearce has been a high school football coach for 23 years. He served as an assistant coach for 10 of those years, and was the Head Football Coach for Milton-Union from 2000-2012. During Coach Pearce’s first tenure as head coach at MU, the team went to the playoffs six times, including the school’s first ever playoff game and first ever playoff win.

Coach Pearce was named SWBL Coach of the Year 4 times in his 13 seasons, as well as Miami Valley Coaches Association Division IV Coach of the Year twice and Ohio Division IV Coach of the Year in 2002.

This little blurb was written in 2017

Milton opens with Versailles and Valley View. They better hope more kids go out for football next year. Finishing at 7-4 with 30 kids on the team was a testament to the coaching at Milton and the weak league. Riverside shocked me losing in round 1. Milton was tired and beat up. Shawnee got better with every game they played. Brookville will win that one easily.
I can see Milton opening ‘24 with 3 losses. Oakwood is always a toss up.
Covington needs to get their act together, somehow. Miami East was competitive this year. Lehman seems to be getting things moving. Everyone else is as expected. Congrats to Riverside!
Seems Milton goes through these rebuilding years about every 5-6 years. They’ll be back.
Felt bad for Riverside when I saw they would be going against a MAC school. Kind of predetermined outcome on those games, though Tri Village demonstrated it can be done. I recall reading a stat 6 or 8 years ago that showed most MAC schools are put out of the tournaments by other MAC schools, very intriguing stat.

My hope is Covington can beat the old Bethel record of 0-20 for two seasons and 0 points scored. That's pretty much when you know you have reached bottom.

Felt bad for Riverside when I saw they would be going against a MAC school. Kind of predetermined outcome on those games, though Tri Village demonstrated it can be done. I recall reading a stat 6 or 8 years ago that showed most MAC schools are put out of the tournaments by other MAC schools, very intriguing stat.

My hope is Covington can beat the old Bethel record of 0-20 for two seasons and 0 points scored. That's pretty much when you know you have reached bottom.
Ouch... when did that happen at Bethel?

Ouch... when did that happen at Bethel?
I want to say 73-74. Made national and international news. They were in the old TRC with Grahm, Urbana, Tipp City , Versailles, Covington , Indian Lake, Lehman (?) and Northwestern.

If I recall Newton had a kid die during football, and Bethel and Newton dropped their programs. Then Bethel decided to go forward again but many parents did not want their kids playing so that played a part in a very bad restart.

Last edited:
I want to say 73-74. Made national and international news. They were in the old TRC with Grahm, Urbana, Tipp City , Versailles, Covington , Indian Lake, Lehman (?) and Northwestern.

If I recall Newton had a kid die during football, and Bethel and Newton dropped their programs. Then Bethel decided to go forward again but many parents did not want their kids playing so that played a part in a very bad restart.
Being in the CCC/WOAC, I've never truly known why Newton and Franklin Monroe do not have football. I know they are smaller schools, but I did not know that Newton had a kid die playing football.

Being in the CCC/WOAC, I've never truly known why Newton and Franklin Monroe do not have football. I know they are smaller schools, but I did not know that Newton had a kid die playing football.
I looked at Covington site for 1974, that is one of the best resources for looking back that far, they laid a 92-0 on Bethel. They mention that angering Bethel's head coach, who I consider a friend, so I long have shared resentment for that game as well. Bethel got down to the 2 yard line vs JV players, and to preserve the shutout Covington brought the starters back in while having an enormous lead.

The stat of the game, Bethel 12 punts for an average of 4.5 yards per punt. Covington 92 points on only 21 first downs, Bethel 0 points on 3 first downs.

i’m pretty sure Pierce left for a bit then came back. hasn’t been at Milton for any more than 7 consecutive years at this point? BlessEmAll could give you some better insight.
Yeah my apologies 18 years* with 4 years away and i believe a year or two he was the OC under Mark Lane. The question is still quite vaild though.

Now this would be interesting, passing through the area its very common seeing kids passing a football at the local park. Would make for an interesting Rivalry with Arcanum as well
Right now it would in the past absolutely not. FM athletics usually never can compete with Arcanum

A lot of the rebuild is due to the kids in the district not wanting to participate. Too many things to take them other directions. Milton is now and always has been a football town.
I think Pearce is doing a great job with 30 kids out this year.
Milton has soccer which is decent as well. I do know that coach Dickison retired as of the end of this school year. Coach a Theole retired as well.

A lot of the rebuild is due to the kids in the district not wanting to participate. Too many things to take them other directions. Milton is now and always has been a football town.
I think Pearce is doing a great job with 30 kids out this year.
Milton has soccer which is decent as well. I do know that coach Dickison retired as of the end of this school year. Coach a Theole retired as well.
Yeah like i said Milton has great coaches that really know how to bring out the best in their players. Coach Pierce is a class act, Coach A is a defensive genius, Coach Blackburn does one heck of a job with the Line and has produced some serious talents. One being in the NFL, Coach Theole is a great man and Vietnam veteran has produced some D1 WRs/DBs. Will definitely hate to see this group end no doubt.