2023 SWBL BASKETBALL

Well you keep seniors that you can't use that sets your program back years and stunts the development of younger guys.
Agree 100%. Has been a problem at Monroe for a few coaches now. Now they are back to one of those coaches who returns as the head coach again. :mad:

Agree 100%. Has been a problem at Monroe for a few coaches now. Now they are back to one of those coaches who returns as the head coach again. :mad:
The same things will happen I truly believe some places are scared to go outside of their comfort zone.

The same things will happen I truly believe some places are scared to go outside of their comfort zone.
Agreed. Monroe is in a unique situation too where the senior class from last year (2023) was pretty athletic and deep by Monroe standards. The current seniors (2024) are weak and only a couple of kids that can play. The current juniors (2025) were a solid class but so many have dropped off because of the BS that has happened within the program. The players who are left in the class of 2025 are really solid but should have been getting quality minutes as sophomores on varsity. They played some time on varsity, but really not meaningful minutes. They need a coach who will come in and play the best players regardless of age. That hasn't happened in years at Monroe and that is why the wins aren't up and the program is in shambles.

Agreed. Monroe is in a unique situation too where the senior class from last year (2023) was pretty athletic and deep by Monroe standards. The current seniors (2024) are weak and only a couple of kids that can play. The current juniors (2025) were a solid class but so many have dropped off because of the BS that has happened within the program. The players who are left in the class of 2025 are really solid but should have been getting quality minutes as sophomores on varsity. They played some time on varsity, but really not meaningful minutes. They need a coach who will come in and play the best players regardless of age. That hasn't happened in years at Monroe and that is why the wins aren't up and the program is in shambles.
From the outside Monroe looks like a great place to coach, great facilities, huge football stadium, nice size gym, wonderful baseball field, and a weightroom, and athletes. It is a very attractive place. I know they won't think outside the box when it comes to hiring what are the other issues there? Is helicoptering and entitlement problems as well?

From the outside Monroe looks like a great place to coach, great facilities, huge football stadium, nice size gym, wonderful baseball field, and a weightroom, and athletes. It is a very attractive place. I know they won't think outside the box when it comes to hiring what are the other issues there? Is helicoptering and entitlement problems as well?
I think, like a lot of other schools, some parents give all parents a bad name. Not all athletes are D1 athletes, but unfortunately, some parents think they are. This is not an exclusive problem to Monroe. So to your point, the facilities are nice, just not sure on the athletes part.

I really think that Monroe is a good place to coach, but they are finding themselves in a tough battle with growth and being out of their league come tournament time. D1 for Monroe is too much right now. There is a whole other thread on the discrepancies between divisions. Last year, the baseball team beat Springfield, and then Centerville in the D1 playoffs. Those were two great signature wins, especially the Centerville game.

Monroe isn't a school that's gonna reach out and pay the best coach they can get. Too many politics. They'll never get anywhere with pee wee Herman(Casey Popplewell) Monroes coach second term. He was there 2010-2014 I think. Never did much. I was pretty disappointed when they hired him again. Just because he's a teacher in house pretty much why. I've been watching them for over a decade since I was in school and it's the same old crap. Go thru coach after coach nothing changes. Pretty much dead in the water for a long time.

Last edited:
This is all laughable! You guys honestly believe the coaches at Monroe have been intentionally playing seniors over underclassmen who give them a better chance to win?

I have been in the area for many years and a fan of the Hornets. Unfortunately the talent level just hasn’t compared to the competition. How many Monroe basketball players have gone on to play any sport at the next level over the past 20 years? I bet we can count them on 1 hand and other than Sloneker none of them went on to play basketball that I know of.

I think they have actually had a really good run of coaches but haven’t found a way to keep any of them around. Coach Popplewell is a very experienced coach who was a big part of the Mason program during his time there. Coach Molz has had a tremendous amount of success since he left for Fairmont. Coach Horne had 2 teams win 14 games at Monroe. They also have won tournament games each of the last 3 seasons. When was the last time these things happened? 20 years ago? I think any of these 3 guys are about as good as it gets in the area given some talent.

Monroe has always had kids that have played hard, but the reality of the situation is they haven’t been as gifted as the teams that they play and I don’t think that is going to change anytime soon! Even though they are unlikely to win a league title or make a significant tournament run this year I can appreciate watching a group of young men represent their community playing hard and as a team!

I just think they've been the middle of the pack the last 15 whatever years. Just can't get over the 14 or 15 win hump.

This is all laughable! You guys honestly believe the coaches at Monroe have been intentionally playing seniors over underclassmen who give them a better chance to win?

I have been in the area for many years and a fan of the Hornets. Unfortunately the talent level just hasn’t compared to the competition. How many Monroe basketball players have gone on to play any sport at the next level over the past 20 years? I bet we can count them on 1 hand and other than Sloneker none of them went on to play basketball that I know of.

I think they have actually had a really good run of coaches but haven’t found a way to keep any of them around. Coach Popplewell is a very experienced coach who was a big part of the Mason program during his time there. Coach Molz has had a tremendous amount of success since he left for Fairmont. Coach Horne had 2 teams win 14 games at Monroe. They also have won tournament games each of the last 3 seasons. When was the last time these things happened? 20 years ago? I think any of these 3 guys are about as good as it gets in the area given some talent.

Monroe has always had kids that have played hard, but the reality of the situation is they haven’t been as gifted as the teams that they play and I don’t think that is going to change anytime soon! Even though they are unlikely to win a league title or make a significant tournament run this year I can appreciate watching a group of young men represent their community playing hard and as a team!
You have very valid points, but I disagree with some of what you were saying. This is the joy of an open forum that allows you to express your opinions.

I do honestly believe that Monroe has played seniors over underclassmen which gives them a better chance of winning. To that point, I feel like players, who are upperclassmen, are given said opportunities because it is "their turn" to play said positions. Let me clarify that statement as it is very wordy. PlayerA(senior) plays point guard over playerB (sophomore/junior) because they have waited their turn in the program to play that position. Meanwhile, playerB doesn't get quality PT to make an impact for the future. I just use point guard as an example, insert your own position. PlayerB is a better player, everyone knows this, but some coaches believe in "turns." "Turns" gives a player entitlement, not an earned position.

The talent level at Monroe is not great. I agree 100% with you. Not sure, in basketball, the last time they had a state-level player. I would guess zero, especially at the D1 level as they are now.

My argument in terms of the coaches is that Poppowell is back. Nothing against the guy personally, but I hope Mason has improved his coaching. I remember his first tenure with the Hornets and I was not impressed. A stale offense, lack luster defense and very little game-time adjustments being made. I hope he is better....I really do. But to think he can translate things from Mason with 1300 boys to Monroe with 375 boys might be unrealistic.

I agree with your statement below holeheartedly:

Fair enough. I just think coaches put so much time and effort into practice and preparation that they are going to play the guys who give them the best chance of winning regardless of graduating class. Building for the future sounds great in theory but when the future isn’t far more talented than the present you go with who can win you games. I guess only time will tell! If this junior class is as good as advertised and should have been playing more last year the Hornets should have a good season ahead of them. My understanding is they had a great run at JV last year! I think Ross and Bellbrook will be the class of the league with Monroe, Edgewood and Franklin battling for that 3rd spot.

I am not a fan of the slower paced Flex offense that Popplewell runs but sometimes shortening the game helps the less talented team. It’ll be interesting to see what he does with this group his second time around. Depth is probably a concern with a thin senior class and a sophomore class that is pretty weak from what I’ve heard.

Fair enough. I just think coaches put so much time and effort into practice and preparation that they are going to play the guys who give them the best chance of winning regardless of graduating class. Building for the future sounds great in theory but when the future isn’t far more talented than the present you go with who can win you games. I guess only time will tell! If this junior class is as good as advertised and should have been playing more last year the Hornets should have a good season ahead of them. My understanding is they had a great run at JV last year! I think Ross and Bellbrook will be the class of the league with Monroe, Edgewood and Franklin battling for that 3rd spot.

I am not a fan of the slower paced Flex offense that Popplewell runs but sometimes shortening the game helps the less talented team. It’ll be interesting to see what he does with this group his second time around. Depth is probably a concern with a thin senior class and a sophomore class that is pretty weak from what I’ve heard.
The current junior class is pretty good, but have no experience at the varsity level. The reason why the JV team was successful was because the talented sophomores were carrying those games. Instead of playing a lot of varsity minutes, they were winning JV games. I get it... it is kind of a double-edged sword.

Slowing the game down, like you said, may be Monroe's best option. I hate it, but oh well.

Being the leading scorer on the worst team in the league does not lead to exposure (at least the right kind) or stardom. He is playing for a good AAU team so that will help with good exposure.
Bellbrook wins the league hands down ,the other 4 teams ,Ross, Edgewood, Franklin and Monroe will battle for 2nd with FRANKLIN taking 2nd.

Bellbrook wins the league hands down ,the other 4 teams ,Ross, Edgewood, Franklin and Monroe will battle for 2nd with FRANKLIN taking 2nd.
Ha....I will rephrase then, being the leading scorer on the second place team in a bad division of an average league does not lead to exposure 😜

Agree on Bellbrook running away with the title

Ha....I will rephrase then, being the leading scorer on the second place team in a bad division of an average league does not lead to exposure 😜

Agree on Bellbrook running away with the title
Don’t sleep on the Ross Rams. I believe they win the title with Bellbrook as a close second.

Carlisle was @ Hamilton along with multiple teams todays they had two games. First one they matched up with Taft, Taft is very long and aggressive. Carlisle led by 10 with about 6 minutes to go but couldn’t hang on. Taft went a run to win the game by 6. 41-35. Carlisle played Harrison in game two and won the matchup pretty easily 62-30. Saw some good teams there today think Preble Shawnee went 2-0 played Harrison and Thurgood M. As I was leaving saw Franklin there playing Taylor. Hamilton, Elder, Miamisburg, Milford, Lakota west were some of the teams I saw there.

Lawson led the way for the Indians in both games, Game 1 against Taft had 11, Game 2 against Harrison had 24. Carlisle Taylor and Rowe impressed as well they controlled the boards and paint well. If Carlisle can play like they did today they will be a contender in league play. I know it’s first scrimmages of year but they held their own against some bigger schools.

Should be a good test. Don’t know how many Football players Waynesville has that plays basketball? Taft is very long and very aggressive.
Waynesville is also missing soccer guys and football. From what I hear Waynesville handled Loveland earlier in the scrimmage

Sat Waynesville beat Madeira twice and split with St Bernard

Carlisle had a Tri scrimmage tonight @ Piqua.

Carlisle played 3 quarters vs Bethel and Piqua.

Carlisle 39 bethel 33 total
1st Carlisle 12-8
2nd Carlisle 14-13
3rd Carlisle 13-12

Carlisle 35 Piqua 17 Total
1st Carlisle 9-5
2nd Carlisle 20-3
3rd Piqua 9-6

overall Carlisle looked good, had some coachable moments. Some early season turnovers and getting their legs.

Carlisle had a Tri scrimmage tonight @ Piqua.

Carlisle played 3 quarters vs Bethel and Piqua.

Carlisle 39 bethel 33 total
1st Carlisle 12-8
2nd Carlisle 14-13
3rd Carlisle 13-12

Carlisle 35 Piqua 17 Total
1st Carlisle 9-5
2nd Carlisle 20-3
3rd Piqua 9-6

overall Carlisle looked good, had some coachable moments. Some early season turnovers and getting their legs.
Dixie scrimmaged Carlisle Fri. I did not keep track of the scores, but Dixie played without their center. Dixie looked fairly even with Carlisle or a little bit better. Dixie won some quarters and Carlisle won some quarters. Dixie JV definitely beat Carlisle JV.

Any update on the Hornets? I think they were at Dayton Christian last week and at Middletown’s multi-team scrimmage yesterday but I haven’t heard how it went?

Dixie scrimmaged Carlisle Fri. I did not keep track of the scores, but Dixie played without their center. Dixie looked fairly even with Carlisle or a little bit better. Dixie won some quarters and Carlisle won some quarters. Dixie JV definitely beat Carlisle JV.
Exactly what I would expect if you told me these two were scrimmaging. Both typically competitive-ish in their league but pretty average district-wide.

Carlisle played Thursday night up in Jackson Center, played them equal for 9 quarters. Think JC won 5 and Carlisle won 4. Overall think Carlisle looked a little better but pretty even. Most of the quarters were a bucket score either way. Think totals were Carlisle 85 JC 73

yeah Friday night Carlisle hosted Dixie. Dixie played pretty good at times as well as Carlisle. They split quarters. Dixie won 2 and Carlisle won 2, they tied the 5th quarter. Thought both teams turned it over a little two much on Friday but that’s what scrimmages are for. Didn’t have breakdown or scores for this game

Both scrimmages will help Carlisle prepare for the upcoming season. Think it will help Dixie and Jackson center as well. I would like to think both of those teams will be competitive this up coming season.

Exactly what I would expect if you told me these two were scrimmaging. Both typically competitive-ish in their league but pretty average district-wide.
Tough district this year, with Preble Shawnee, Miami East and Indian Lake. Should be a fun one when tourney time comes.