2023 St. Ignatius Football

I'm way out of the loop obviously but how the heck are we in the playoffs after winning 2 games? That's embarrassing.
16 teams per region, R1 is worst top to bottom I ever recall seeing it, except for Eds. There were multiple teams with less than 2 wins. Only the Mentor win counted in points, and so that 1 win gave us more points than the other 1 win teams 1 win (plus only 9 games that counted lowered our divisor). Agree on the embarrassing. If they played even like the last 2 weeks, they prob win 1 or 2 more

16 teams per region, R1 is worst top to bottom I ever recall seeing it, except for Eds. There were multiple teams with less than 2 wins. Only the Mentor win counted in points, and so that 1 win gave us more points than the other 1 win teams 1 win (plus only 9 games that counted lowered our divisor). Agree on the embarrassing. If they played even like the last 2 weeks, they prob win 1 or 2 more
Strongsville won three games and yet finished in back of Ignatius. The record of teams they defeated was a combined 6-23. Mentor was 7-3, hence the added second-level pts for Ignatius.

Strongsville won three games and yet finished in back of Ignatius. The record of teams they defeated was a combined 6-23. Mentor was 7-3, hence the added second-level pts for Ignatius.
In any event, D1 as a whole has a problem in this playoff system. Will I be watching this game Friday, if the gestapo permits it to be televised....yes. but am I trekking to Mentor for a playoff game with a 1 or 2 win team, negative.

Is there method the madness of the Athletic Department which put together this year’s schedule?

Since making the playoffs is a given, why not steel the team by playing the best opponents available?

The Cats are peaking at the right time. Mentor has only won 2 games against teams with winning seasons.

The Cats by a field goal.

In any event, D1 as a whole has a problem in this playoff system. Will I be watching this game Friday, if the gestapo permits it to be televised....yes. but am I trekking to Mentor for a playoff game with a 1 or 2 win team, negative.
Apparently, it's the Spectrum game of the week this Fri.

This is a great example of how ridiculous the playoffs have become. There is simply no way that a 2-8 team should be in the playoffs. The last time OHSAA allowed more teams into the playoffs was nothing but greed. A team must now play 15 games in order to play in a championship game. It was a stretch when they expanded the playoffs to 4 games to play for the championship making the season 15 games including the Championship. This is not in the best Interest of the high school athletes which is the primary concern, not $$$$$!!

Agreed. Making that 7th division helped the lower divisions out but screwed Division 1. It also has to be said that the state of football programs at some of these big public schools have gotten pretty bad. I know the drum will beat about recruiting but schools the size of Elyria, Euclid, or Solon should not be losing as much as they are. Solon is a good school district that is well-funded and large. I understand not going 9-1 or 8-2 every year but to not even get to .500 when you have a lot of pluses most schools only dream about? come on.

Agreed. Making that 7th division helped the lower divisions out but screwed Division 1. It also has to be said that the state of football programs at some of these big public schools have gotten pretty bad. I know the drum will beat about recruiting but schools the size of Elyria, Euclid, or Solon should not be losing as much as they are. Solon is a good school district that is well-funded and large. I understand not going 9-1 or 8-2 every year but to not even get to .500 when you have a lot of pluses most schools only dream about? come on.
Completely concur

Ignatius just needs to stay disciplined (no more unsportsmanlike penalties, especially for Wildcat97's sanity) and I think they beat McKinley. Ignatius is a completely different team with Haddad back.

Won't need much capacity if rematch. The crowd on both sides tonight looked smaller than ever. Ignatius only played at Byers once, so, would think could be site
More likely the game would be at Mentor, Solon, or Brunswick. But, of course, they would have to beat McKinley. No small task.

The moronic OHSAA will put the rematch at Euclid. Remember the year they stuck it at Bedford?

Byers would be great, Brunswick also a good choice. Are there rules that would prevent the game from being at Byers? Is Byers even Ignatius' home field anymore?

97, sehs73 was referring to 13500 Detroit Ave. This game barely needs 5k seats now with streaming. Unless it's an anticipated game without a clear favorite you just aren't going to get people to actually go if they can just stream it at home.

Ignatius just needs to stay disciplined (no more unsportsmanlike penalties, especially for Wildcat97's sanity) and I think they beat McKinley. Ignatius is a completely different team with Haddad back.
If you guys make McKinley's quarterback uncomfortable you guys have a chance but you also have to block their defensive end number 9 he has an offer from USC. The quarterback can run but he's not the best decision maker I truly believe you guys can win this game. Good luck boy's 🤞

Won't need much capacity if rematch. The crowd on both sides tonight looked smaller than ever. Ignatius only played at Byers once, so, would think could be site

I saw a couple clips on Twitter and was surprised at the low turnout for a Mentor/Ignatius game, especially the home crowd on such a perfect night for football.

Obviously, this was a season that was far beneath anyone's expectations. However, I'd just like to take the time to thank the seniors who have finished their careers. Thanks to you who have been a part of the program for four years and who might have seen your position filled by a sophomore or even a freshman; you didn't give up, although it would have been easy to do just that. Your perseverance will serve you well as you go through your lives. So, don't think you've been forgotten; we have seen you and appreciate what you have brought to your team and your school. AMDG.

Last edited:
Obviously, this was a season that was far beneath anyone's expectations. However, I'd just like to take the time to thank the seniors who have finished their career. Thanks to you who have been a part of the program for four years and who might have seen your position filled by a sophomore or even a freshman; you didn't give up, although it would have been easy to do just that. Your perseverance will serve you well as you go through your lives. So, don't think you've been forgotten; we have seen you and appreciate what you have brought to your team and your school. AMDG.

Thanks for best expressing sentiments of the Ignatius faithful