2023 St. Ignatius Football

The 2011 playoff game was about as heartbreaking as it gets as an Eds fan. State champs the year prior, and a team that could have won it all again. Up 17-3 at one point in the playoff game before the implosion and Ignatius victory. The state title game was in Brunswick that year. I knew whoever won that game was going to win the title.

I liked the 2018 playoff game. Back to back against the Wildcats, and coming off a pretty solid beatdown, Eds toughs out the playoff win 21-19 and turns a 6-3 regular season into a state title. That 2018 Eds team was a favorite of mine. They were tough and underdogs the entire way. Colerain was supposed to pick up the trophy in Canton and go home.

The 2011 playoff game was about as heartbreaking as it gets as an Eds fan. State champs the year prior, and a team that could have won it all again. Up 17-3 at one point in the playoff game before the implosion and Ignatius victory. The state title game was in Brunswick that year. I knew whoever won that game was going to win the title.

I liked the 2018 playoff game. Back to back against the Wildcats, and coming off a pretty solid beatdown, Eds toughs out the playoff win 21-19 and turns a 6-3 regular season into a state title. That 2018 Eds team was a favorite of mine. They were tough and underdogs the entire way. Colerain was supposed to pick up the trophy in Canton and go home.
Not giving the ball to Cmiel on the goal line of that 2018 playoff game was criminal

A lot of fans (even on the Ed's side) reference the 35-34 triple overtime game in 1993 as one of the finest of the series. For me, it was the 2001 game where Ed's won 44-41 in OT on a blocked FG to end it. That was the first Ed's win since 1996. Yet at the end of the year in 2001 Iggy went on to win the D1 title.

Then of course, for Ed's fans, there's last year...

In any event, I think this year's game will be very close and very competitive.
By close, you mean close to last year's game, right? If anything else, let us know if you need another truck for all those sanbags

By close, you mean close to last year's game, right? If anything else, let us know if you need another truck for all those sanbags
The worse thing about being a heavy favorite in this series is being a heavy favorite in advance of the game.:)

I thought Ignatius had a puncher’s chance last year and the Cats were mollywhopped.

zero chance in this game. Worst Ignatius offense ever and the defense is small and lacks speed. Other than that, anything can happen, including losing by more than last years’s debacle

I thought Ignatius had a puncher’s chance last year and the Cats were mollywhopped.

zero chance in this game. Worst Ignatius offense ever and the defense is small and lacks speed. Other than that, anything can happen, including losing by more than last years’s debacle
Hang in there Ignatius fans. Better days are ahead for sure. What goes around comes around. SW Ohio is pulling for you guys now and into the future. 👍 GBM 💪🏈

Is there a good story behind the game’s nickname ‘The Holy War’? Or was it just termed by a random journalist years ago?

Is there a good story behind the game’s nickname ‘The Holy War’? Or was it just termed by a random journalist years ago?
The schools had made a concerted effort to eliminate the term " Holy War," but it is perpetuated by the media, which started it in the first place.

Huh... I looked up and down the thread titles 3 times thinking I missed the routine aforementioned thread. I'll throw up, "Game at the Madhouse on Madison" to try to start the usual chatter in a neutral thread.

If memory serves, Clarett was running all over St. Ignatius in the first half. I think Harding led 21-7 at one point; and it looked like they could run at will. Then, St. Ignatius apparently made some type of defensive adjustment and controlled Clarett for the rest of the game. The end was crazy with Welo fumbling forward on 4th down (I think) on a crucial drive with the offense recovering for a 1st down. Overall, I was amazed by how St. Ignatius controlled Harding's run game in the second half. That was impressive.

If memory serves, Clarett was running all over St. Ignatius in the first half. I think Harding led 21-7 at one point; and it looked like they could run at will. Then, St. Ignatius apparently made some type of defensive adjustment and controlled Clarett for the rest of the game. The end was crazy with Welo fumbling forward on 4th down (I think) on a crucial drive with the offense recovering for a 1st down. Overall, I was amazed by how St. Ignatius controlled Harding's run game in the second half. That was impressive.
You are correct. Clarett went for 150 and a TD in the first half, but only 43 on the ground in the second. However, I believe he also had close to 100 receiving yards and another TD through the air. Still the best back I've seen in my time watching Ohio football.

Great freshman game, ignatius has the size on freshman, big kids, just not the athletes

I was impressed by the Cats d line and linebackers, especially number 49 (or maybe 47?). Very few running lanes all night and put constant pressure on Ed’s QB. The Ignatius QB showed some great wheels on his 4th qtr. TD run, and the receivers had good size. Close game into the 3rd before turnovers and penalties derailed the Ignatius offense. I did not think there was a tremendous talent gap.