2023 OHSWCA State Dual Districts D3 Saturday Feb 4th

I totally agree with you.
Waynedale is a solid team. WH lineup is quite a bit different now then when the wrestle in December. I think if they matched up again outcome would be different, but you can only go by the one wrestled. Waynedale JH is doing really well. With the current underclassmen and these guys coming up, they will be back in and make some noise in the next couple years.

Waynedale is a solid team. WH lineup is quite a bit different now then when the wrestle in December. I think if they matched up again outcome would be different, but you can only go by the one wrestled. Waynedale JH is doing really well. With the current underclassmen and these guys coming up, they will be back in and make some noise in the next couple years.
Heard the junior high team was dominant at the South Range tournament earlier this season.

What teams are leaving early Saturday morning to travel to Versailles and which teams are staying in Hotel Friday Night?

Brackets are up and look good. The 2 Northeast teams (Perry and Rootstown) meet in one 1/4 final. Thinking Rootstown takes this dual.
Before the seeding was announced I had Barnesville and Rootstown as my top 2 teams. Looks like we’ll see that matchup in the semifinals. I like the winner of that dual to win the championship. Leaning towards Barnesville in a tight matchup.

Not sure what happened for sure between Coontz(Rootstown) and Dickman(Archbold), but there was a technical called against Archbild. Then Coontz was awarded the match. He would have won the match in my opinion, but was surprised they called the match. It wasn’t a slam and they were on their feet. Who made the call not to continue? Coach or trainer? Hope Coontz is ok.

Not sure what happened for sure between Coontz(Rootstown) and Dickman(Archbold), but there was a technical called against Archbild. Then Coontz was awarded the match. He would have won the match in my opinion, but was surprised they called the match. It wasn’t a slam and they were on their feet. Who made the call not to continue? Coach or trainer? Hope Coontz is ok.
Anyone who knows me knows I am no fan of rootstown.

That being said, I watched the match on YouTube and zoomed in.

The kid had a pretty deliberate and DEFINITELY illegal standing choke hold. And it wasn’t just blocking the airway it was a blood/carotid choke like used In Brazilian Jui-Jitsu/MMA.

He then just let Coontz fall to the ground which tells me either Coontz was passed out or at least VERY woozy from the choke.

I have no idea anything about the other kid, no idea if there was some bad blood going on, but either way it was an obvious unsportsmanlike move and deliberately done.

he may miss a couple matches just like he had punched someone, that wasnt good.

Last edited:

That being side, I watched the match on YouTube and zoomed in.

The kid had a pretty deliberate and DEFINITELY illegal standing choke hold. And it wasn’t just blocking the airway it was a blood/carotid choke like used In Brazilian Jui-Jitsu/MMA.

He then just let Coontz fall to the ground which tells me either Coontz was passed out or at least VERY woozy from the choke.

I have no idea anything about the other kid, no idea if there was some bad blood going on, but either way it was an obvious unsportsmanlike move and deliberately done.

he may kiss a couple matches just like he had punched someone, that wasnt good.
Was it called as a FMC or a DQ/injury forfeit due to not being able to continue after an illegal move. One means that the athlete could miss the post-season if their conference tournament is not next week, the other is just that the match ends in a loss.

Was it called as a FMC or a DQ/injury forfeit due to not being able to continue after an illegal move. One means that the athlete could miss the post-season if their conference tournament is not next week, the other is just that the match ends in a loss.
Don’t know, I wasn’t there.

If you know BJJ/MMA it was basically a standing D‘arce Choke

That being said, I watched the match on YouTube and zoomed in.

he may miss a couple matches just like he had punched someone, that wasnt good.
Jmog. I have no idea what you think you saw. Archbold kid had an illegal keylock on the elbow. Coontz is a tough kid but could not continue.

Jmog. I have no idea what you think you saw. Archbold kid had illegal keylock on the elbow. Coontz is a tough kid but could not continue.
I was thinking the same thing. I have no idea what he could possibly have been zooming in on, or how he thought that was a D'Arce choke, which is locked up in a completely different manner. He definitely cranked on the elbow in the armlock though, which is why the match ended the way that it did. Hopefully he didn't suffer a UCL injury. Those can lead to a very long recovery.

Looking to next year, Barnesville is my team to win it all. 4th, 3rd, and….there anymore King kids in the pipeline?