2023 Northern Buckeye Conference

Who wins the 2023 Northern Buckeye Conference?

• Eastwood

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Fostoria

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Genoa

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Lake

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maumee

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Oak Harbor

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • Otsego

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Rossford

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nope. Every one in a great while they'll lose a kid to St. Johns.

As part of their effort to build a new high school, they have said that people new to the area look at BG schools and then decide to live elsewhere. I know of more than one new hire at BGSU who decided to live in Perrysburg.
I believe too there's been issues with on the district borders where those kids would rather attend the smaller school.

I think BG is the wildcard for jobs. I am always amazed that they can't field a more competitive team. I imagine Perrysburg and Eastwood probably pluck some of their talent. I also imagine that Rutherford would be the head candidate for that job if he wants it. That might turn the tides in the battle for losing kids. However, that's all just speculation on my part.

Perrysburg does not actually border the BG school district. Patrick Henry to the west along with Otsego (Eastwood and Otsego share that small strip of land around 582), Eastwood to the NE, Elmwood to the SE, North Baltimore & McComb to the south.

1701884582388.png

I heard Denton Saunders is applying for the head coaching job at otsego, he is a IEP teacher there
Didn’t his Swanton team basically quit on him. I know there was an open board discussion and players and parents said they wanted him fired. No way they hire him.

You haven’t seen him lately, huh?
Saw him one game his senior year. He was special. I'll take your word on exactly how good.

Seemed too thin to play D1 to me, and I believe the eyeball test is still the first thing a player has to pass.

I also know there are some really good HS QB's who aren't good enough to play at Tiffin.

Which I posted elsewhere. I saw Heidelberg play Ohio Northern this year and Tiffin play Findlay. I was impressed.

Didn’t his Swanton team basically quit on him. I know there was an open board discussion and players and parents said they wanted him fired. No way they hire him.
I feel like Swanton pretty much quits on everyone. When did he take over there? I did a quick bit of research and they haven't been relevant, save for a 3 year period from 2015-2017.

Saw him one game his senior year. He was special. I'll take your word on exactly how good.

Seemed too thin to play D1 to me, and I believe the eyeball test is still the first thing a player has to pass.

I also know there are some really good HS QB's who aren't good enough to play at Tiffin.

Which I posted elsewhere. I saw Heidelberg play Ohio Northern this year and Tiffin play Findlay. I was impressed.
There are a lot of folks that have a warped version of what a “money” player (D2 and above) looks like. There are some darn good QBs playing D3 ball as you alluded.

I personally believe Dzerwia was a D2 or low end D1 qb and was similar to Roethlisberger from the standpoint he was a skinny senior. He was going to need 2 years of build up before he would ever be truly ready but his upside was there. I believe he made it clear early on he was going to play baseball which turned off the football recruitment, at least to a degree.

I believe he made it clear early on he was going to play baseball which turned off the football recruitment, at least to a degree.
This impacts a kids recruiting a lot more than people think. If a kid makes it public early on that he's entertaining basketball or baseball offers, he's less likely to get football offers that he would've been qualified for

I feel like Swanton pretty much quits on everyone. When did he take over there? I did a quick bit of research and they haven't been relevant, save for a 3 year period from 2015-2017.
No. Not many coaches are called out in a public forum by players/parents to be fired or have players walk out of practice and threaten to not play their last game of that season unless he’s gone the following season.

Just because a school isn’t good at football doesn’t mean a coach should be so awful that his team’s players and parents demand him to be gone. It’s okay to say someone shouldn’t be a head coach again.

There are a lot of folks that have a warped version of what a “money” player (D2 and above) looks like. There are some darn good QBs playing D3 ball as you alluded.

I personally believe Dzerwia was a D2 or low end D1 qb and was similar to Roethlisberger from the standpoint he was a skinny senior. He was going to need 2 years of build up before he would ever be truly ready but his upside was there. I believe he made it clear early on he was going to play baseball which turned off the football recruitment, at least to a degree.
Joseph never once stepped foot on a college campus for camps or any type of football combine. D-1 colleges in the area (UT/BG) showed interest but it was very clear he was going to college for baseball. Had he have shown interest in playing football at the next level, the offers would have been there imho. May not have initially passed the eye test... until you saw him sling the ball around with tremendous accuracy.

No. Not many coaches are called out in a public forum by players/parents to be fired or have players walk out of practice and threaten to not play their last game of that season unless he’s gone the following season.

Just because a school isn’t good at football doesn’t mean a coach should be so awful that his team’s players and parents demand him to be gone. It’s okay to say someone shouldn’t be a head coach again.
I saw the article, any insight as to what went on? Sounds like it was a mess.

Joseph never once stepped foot on a college campus for camps or any type of football combine. D-1 colleges in the area (UT/BG) showed interest but it was very clear he was going to college for baseball. Had he have shown interest in playing football at the next level, the offers would have been there imho. May not have initially passed the eye test... until you saw him sling the ball around with tremendous accuracy.
Kid had a big arm and was a sneaky good athlete as well. I caught a few of Otsego's playoff games in '21, one being the Eastwood game. He wasn't really known as a runner, but I specifically remember either a 3rd or 4th down pass play where the middle of the pocket opened up and he took off and then made the heady decision to slide, effectively ending the game. He pulled away from kids. Pretty sure Eastwood had some speed on that roster as well, namely at safety. He's the best small school QB I've seen. Previously I would have said Evans out of Milton Union who ended up at Indiana or a pair of kids out of Marion Pleasant being Scott Jefferies (not sure where he ended up) and Trevor Harris, who went to Edinboro University.
Dzierwa had a bigger arm (save maybe Jefferies), was more accurate, seemed to read and make quick throws much better, and was sneaky athletic. His knock was that he was 6'6 or 6'7 and didn't weigh much. I'm sure college lifting programs would have been able to take care of that.

I say this sans the Mock kids because I'm not sure Kenton counts as small school at that point. I would put him on their level with everything except those dudes were much more developed physically. A play against Bishop Hartley in a playoff game stands out as Mock threw a pick and then sprinted to make the tackle and completely destroyed the kid who picked it.

I saw the article, any insight as to what went on? Sounds like it was a mess.
Just a toxic culture. Apparently was very mean and physical towards players. Got on kids about playing other sports and not just focusing on football. Didn’t do much in terms of an off season program and expected players to just show up ready to go. They had a player a few years back who was getting college interests and when colleges came in to talk to the head coach, he refused to see them. That players younger brother ended up going to St. John’s and is their starting QB. Last year he was also the Eastwood DC under Rutherford and I was told the players hated him. He wasn’t going to be on staff if Rutherford returned. He was also ran out of his teaching job at Swanton by the admin, this was his first year at Otsego as a teacher. Teachers in public schools don’t just leave jobs unless they have to because of the years/salary system.

Who do you guys seeing being next head coach? Maybe Craig Rutherford, because of his wife being there at otsego? Would be a game changer for otsego
C Rutherford would be a great fit there or anywhere he wants, lives in Haskins and wife does teach at Otsego. But I heard he's getting the BG job.
I think Sanders was at Swanton 2019 (2-8), 2020 (0-5), 2021 (0-10), 2022 Asst. Eastwood, 2023 Asst. Otsego. Before 2019 asst. Gibsonburg, Ross, Woodmore.

I just got done messaging a parent who’s kid played under Saunders and benched him on senior night because he wanted to see change in the program, if otsego hires him, the BOE will be hearing from a lot of families. C. Rutherford would be a good fit anywhere one of the best coaches around, he could get any job he wants I think, but whoever otsego does get better change the program around instead of spending its budget on music videos.
Good.

But walls is better than most on otsego staff well not most but mediocre, a few of the guys they had were all first year high school coaches, one has never coached, the other coached a few years in JH but that’s it,everyone else was on the staff the following years I’m pretty sure other than Rossfords last years Qbs dad, Rob Williams I think is his name
You sound like a coach on staff for how you know all this information.