2023 Benedictine Football

Because a family makes a decision to not stay in what they may see as a low quality situation means it’s about “me me me” and not about team? Professionals often make a move to another company when their current company begins a downswing. And the kid transferring to Kenston is clearly a hard worker, who can blame him for wanting to get out of there?
Are we forgetting the kid from Kenston was starting and went winless? You either have it or you don’t. If you are good you will play at higher level. When we grew up, the transfer options weren’t a “thing” like today. Players going from school to school doesn’t usually work out for them. Comparing changing jobs to High School football is ridiculous.

The transfer portal is killing high school sports. I can see transferring because of issues in the academic aspects but leaving because a football coach does not fit your philosophy? No I don’t like that at all. Benedictine is a great school and it’s built from tradition of excellence. One bad football season does not take away from this tradition. Leaving because of football, simply an example of this “hit the reset button on the video game” mentality so many have.
But, dont you think a lot of them come to Benedictine to play football and be part of the tradition? Its just as easy for them to leave when they feel the team isnt in a good place. I think its a snowball affect now once the transfers started. Not saying I agree.

It’s not all on the QB that they went winless, that’s ridiculous. He has “it” as far as being a very good high school QB. Kids have been transferring forever and I’d love to see your data on players going from school to school usually not working out for them. My brother went from Buchtel to Akron Christian to CVCA graduating almost 35 years ago and it was mainly due to basketball, it seems to have worked out for him. And I didn’t compare changing jobs to HS football, I made an analogy to people leaving a company that’s a sinking ship to a family making a decision to leave a high school football team that’s a sinking ship. Now if you want to cast judgments about a family making a decision based on sports that’s your right, a bit pompous but your right.
All of this ANNNDD they are at a private school THEY ARE PAYING FOR. So if you are paying a boat load of money and you aren't happy, why can't you leave without ridicule?

The transfer portal is killing high school sports. I can see transferring because of issues in the academic aspects but leaving because a football coach does not fit your philosophy? No I don’t like that at all. Benedictine is a great school and it’s built from tradition of excellence. One bad football season does not take away from this tradition. Leaving because of football, simply an example of this “hit the reset button on the video game” mentality so many have.
the high school hoops transfer portal is a total cartoon........ does the ohsaa have anything in place where kids have to sit ?
i remember several years ago , a brush and walsh ballplayer transferred to benny , for hoops ....... and they were only eligible to play a certain amount of games that transfer year

the high school hoops transfer portal is a total cartoon........ does the ohsaa have anything in place where kids have to sit ?
i remember several years ago , a brush and walsh ballplayer transferred to benny , for hoops ....... and they were only eligible to play a certain amount of games that transfer year
That still happens to this day

And that’s the cherry on top!
😜😜😜 part of playing that position is getting the glory when not all deserved and also taking heat when going winless. It just is what it is. Strictly stating a fact on a winless season. Of course it’s not all on QB, its on entire team and staff. I’m a Benedictine fan and with that, anyone who leaves is not worth further discussion to me. Thinking of it as a sinking ship isn’t very optimistic. I hope for the loyal kids, that it all works out. That’s a cherry and whip cream on top to me!!

Sorry but I see it as a quitters mentality. Team didn’t win enough, you didn’t like the offense not be designed around you, hit the road…. Total quitter mentality….

And that’s the cherry on top!
You people don't get it. Once a quitter, always a quitter. When the tough get going as they say. If you think you are more important than the program/school, then you should transfer. You can be someone else's problem.
Benedictine's schedule was by far the toughest schedule in D-3. Not even Hoban played as tough a schedule. That said. There were bumps in the road. It's easy to transfer to what seems like a better situation. 3 players to Glenville, 1 to Kenston, and on and on. It's easy. The guys I want to play with are the guys that stayed. They are the true players. For better or for worse. Stick together. Build a family. Today's athletes forget all about that. To win. You need to care more about the guy next to you then yourself. Even the players with extreme talent have figured out that the team is only as good as their least experienced players. Everybody has to be IN. Everybody needs to contribute. Through the years Benedictine has had its ups & downs. The school, the football team, has always recovered. It won't happen overnight, but it will happen. I can tell you this. It wouldn't have happened with the players who quit on last year's coaching staff. It won't happen with the quitters who transferred. But it will happen. Maybe in Akron you put up with quitters. Not in 99% of the rest of the cities in the USA.

You people don't get it. Once a quitter, always a quitter. When the tough get going as they say. If you think you are more important than the program/school, then you should transfer. You can be someone else's problem.
Benedictine's schedule was by far the toughest schedule in D-3. Not even Hoban played as tough a schedule. That said. There were bumps in the road. It's easy to transfer to what seems like a better situation. 3 players to Glenville, 1 to Kenston, and on and on. It's easy. The guys I want to play with are the guys that stayed. They are the true players. For better or for worse. Stick together. Build a family. Today's athletes forget all about that. To win. You need to care more about the guy next to you then yourself. Even the players with extreme talent have figured out that the team is only as good as their least experienced players. Everybody has to be IN. Everybody needs to contribute. Through the years Benedictine has had its ups & downs. The school, the football team, has always recovered. It won't happen overnight, but it will happen. I can tell you this. It wouldn't have happened with the players who quit on last year's coaching staff. It won't happen with the quitters who transferred. But it will happen. Maybe in Akron you put up with quitters. Not in 99% of the rest of the cities in the USA.
This deserves 2 cherries and whip cream on top! Beautifully said.

Don’t be sorry. That’s just your myopic and rudimentary opinion. Finding a situation that you deem more fitting= Quitting. Got it.
So does this theory apply to marriage too? Does this theory apply to financial commitments? Does this theory apply to friendships as well. College choices? Finding better situations right? I guess I’m old school because in my day we made commitments and stuck to them….

That’s corny bulls**t. You don’t win without talent period. This is real life, not a movie.

How do you think a kid who went to Kenston through 8th grade ended up at Benedictine? The same reason he went back to Kenston. The grass is always greener for some folks. Without football reasons, none of the private schools are who they are. Double edged sword

How do you think a kid who went to Kenston through 8th grade ended up at Benedictine? The same reason he went back to Kenston. The grass is always greener for some folks. Without football reasons, none of the private schools are who they are. Double edged sword
Oh so how do the kids at Kenston respond to his return? His message “I didn’t think you guys were good enough for me so I went to Benedictine, a school with championship tradition. We went 0-10 with me there so I quit on them but don’t worry, I’m here to save the day and help you win”. Great message!!!

Oh so how do the kids at Kenston respond to his return? His message “I didn’t think you guys were good enough for me so I went to Benedictine, a school with championship tradition. We went 0-10 with me there so I quit on them but don’t worry, I’m here to save the day and help you win”. Great message!!!
I don’t disagree with your take, but Kenston needed a QB bad for next season or they were looking at a .500 season. They had no one in the pipeline.

They return a stud, and legit DI, tailback, and a solid WR. Could there be some relationship mending taking place, probably, but I think they’ll welcome him with open arms eventually because he gives them a legit chance to make some noise next season. Without a QB Kenston would have been mediocre next season. Good luck to him.

That’s corny bulls**t. You don’t win without talent period. This is real life, not a movie.
So, what you're saying is that the players that transferred weren't talented??? ...mmmmm! Shocking! There were a multitude of things that went wrong last season. All fixable. But quitters always quit. Always!

A little off topic, but it appears other than Ed’s and Hoban, Cleveland Diocesan high school football is down. Even Ignatius looked bad this year (mercy clocked by Ed’s)

Would creating a football only league help jump start these programs?

Benedictine
LC
NDCL
Padua
Svsm
Holy Name
Walsh

So, what you're saying is that the players that transferred weren't talented??? ...mmmmm! Shocking! There were a multitude of things that went wrong last season. All fixable. But quitters always quit. Always!
IDK, but from an outsider’s perspective, you sound delusional. The team of untalented tryhards doesn’t win the game in real life. You can’t win anything w/o talented players.

A little off topic, but it appears other than Ed’s and Hoban, Cleveland Diocesan high school football is down. Even Ignatius looked bad this year (mercy clocked by Ed’s)

Benedictine
LC
NDCL
Padua
Svsm
Holy Name
Walsh
This is a good idea. Holy Name probably wouldn’t go for it, they ran from the NCL and love the league they’re in now. I’d suggest adding in Mooney, Ursuline and Gilmour and possibly VASJ. Play 8 conference games and two independents.

Benedictine
LC
NDCL
Padua
Svsm
Holy Name
Walsh
I think it would help 100%. When there was an NCL with these schools in it they were a very strong league. I think when they kicked Hoban out of the league it sent a message to everyone that these schools are not willing to compete with the best teams. For example what incentive from a football perspective does a kid have to go to LC over Mentor. Mentor plays some really good teams. Win or lose these players are challenged and get to play in some really good/big games against high level talent.

Benedictine
LC
NDCL
Padua
Svsm
Holy Name
Walsh
All but Bene, CCC, and NDCL were legit playoff teams. For Bene and CCC it comes down to retaining talent and providing something more than their history to entice people to go to school there. for NDCL it would be most likely outreach programs into Painesville and the East Side.

All but Bene, CCC, and NDCL were legit playoff teams. For Bene and CCC it comes down to retaining talent and providing something more than their history to entice people to go to school there. for NDCL it would be most likely outreach programs into Painesville and the East Side.
When has CCC and NDCL ever been a legit playoff team? Maybe in the old Cathedral Latin days. Man I miss Parkhaven.

I think it would help 100%. When there was an NCL with these schools in it they were a very strong league. I think when they kicked Hoban out of the league it sent a message to everyone that these schools are not willing to compete with the best teams. For example what incentive from a football perspective does a kid have to go to LC over Mentor. Mentor plays some really good teams. Win or lose these players are challenged and get to play in some really good/big games against high level talent.
Hoban was kicked out when they expanded their recruiting to the state and surrounding states. I think you answered your own question regarding LC or Mentor. As long as Mentor continues to have success, their top players will stay home.

Well it looks like we get to revisit Ray Williams and his time at Benedictine, a new documentary called Mr Football will be coming out this fall that takes a deep look at Ray and the events surrounding the Lorenzo Hunter tragedy. On the positive it is at least being told by someone that was there and lived it.

Here is an interview with Jim McCartney, the person that developed this project, that should ne necessary viewing before discussing the subject:
https://www.facebook.com/TalkBackFans/videos/2127829707420821/?flite=scwspnss

Well it looks like we get to revisit Ray Williams and his time at Benedictine, a new documentary called Mr Football will be coming out this fall that takes a deep look at Ray and the events surrounding the Lorenzo Hunter tragedy. On the positive it is at least being told by someone that was there and lived it.

Here is an interview with Jim McCartney, the person that developed this project, that should ne necessary viewing before discussing the subject:
https://www.facebook.com/TalkBackFans/videos/2127829707420821/?flite=scwspnss

Should be an incredible documentary. The director is a former Bene player and is doing a great job putting the whole story together. What surprised me was the school giving their blessing. Should be a must see once completed.

They are happy to have him back