2023 Benedictine Football

Departure for some equals opportunities for others….This is not a one year turn around. Win 3-5 games next year and the rebuild schedule is working. Bengals will have an excellent frosh class this year and will build up each year. Rotsky won’t be at VASJ much longer 4-5 years is his shelf life anywhere. Ginn is getting old and there is no real heir apparent in the city. Benedictine however will always have academic and athletic tradition.
No heir apparent is more a condemnation of CMSD and the Senate League throwing their eggs all into one basket than a real lack of an heir. If the rest of the Senate got the resources Ginn/ Glenville receives it would be a much stronger league. Imagine where Marshall, John Hay, and Rhodes would be if equal resources were allocated all programs. We will see if the improved coach pay will bring back CMSD teachers and paras who coach outside of CMSD and create increased accountability for coaches.

Edit: The fact that Lincoln West and Garrett Morgan don't have practice facilities or a stadium dedicated/ shared for football, track, and soccer goes to show the lack of vision and coordination going on. Both schools, Garrett Morgan especially, could become very successful in football, soccer, and track but its hard to get kids out when you have no facilities.

Last edited:
Departure for some equals opportunities for others….This is not a one year turn around. Win 3-5 games next year and the rebuild schedule is working. Bengals will have an excellent frosh class this year and will build up each year. Rotsky won’t be at VASJ much longer 4-5 years is his shelf life anywhere. Ginn is getting old and there is no real heir apparent in the city. Benedictine however will always have academic and athletic tradition.

A school like Benedictine should never have to go through a "rebuild".If they do,that says the people in charge did a piss-poor job.Don't know where you see 3-5 wins this year.I can the plan seems to be to water down the schedule to show progress.Replace Hoban with Normandy,replace Toledo CC with Brush.That's not getting better,that's just playing weaker competition to show fake progress.

A school like Benedictine should never have to go through a "rebuild".If they do,that says the people in charge did a piss-poor job.Don't know where you see 3-5 wins this year.I can the plan seems to be to water down the schedule to show progress.Replace Hoban with Normandy,replace Toledo CC with Brush.That's not getting better,that's just playing weaker competition to show fake progress.
A house always gets cleaned before a party, sometimes it gets cleaned during but the most cleaning takes place after those that caused the mess left. 🤓🤓

Last edited:
Just heard the incoming freshmen class is less than 75 kids (closer to 50). Any truth to this number? Not talking football player, that is total incoming class number. Fr. Willie what are your thoughts?

Just heard the incoming freshmen class is less than 75 kids (closer to 50). Any truth to this number? Not talking football player, that is total incoming class number. Fr. Willie what are your thoughts?
He will give you a canned answer about how everyone is wrong and he is right and blah blah blah. He did this all 2022. Was adamant Coach Goode and the staff were working their butts off only to come to find out Coach Goode routinely skipped practices and the herd was a bunch of idiots for questioning this.

Who is going to be their QB? Both starter and backup left.
Maybe Jamie will find one and he can put is butt in the seat. Money people look at Benedictine like a hobby. He screwed us with Welo. Let’s see him truly help. Donate, shut your trap, and let the school people run the school. Problem is some of the monks like sticking their two cents. Remember they are the owners. Just ask them they will tell. Slum lords.

Maybe Jamie will find one and he can put is butt in the seat. Money people look at Benedictine like a hobby. He screwed us with Welo. Let’s see him truly help. Donate, shut your trap, and let the school people run the school. Problem is some of the monks like sticking their two cents. Remember they are the owners. Just ask them they will tell. Slum lords.
You sound like a broken record, how many times are you going to say the same thing?? Your two cents should be invested elsewhere.

Last I heard,the number was 58.That was about a month ago.But,according to some on here,"recruiting is on fire!"

If Ginn steps down I think JR will go after that job???

If Ginn steps down I think JR will go after that job???
Rotsky cannot and will not get the job. You have to be a teacher, para, or other type of staff member in CMSD to get that job. It will go to someone on staff or one of the more established CMSD teacher - coaches. Only way would be for no one in the district to want the job and there is a better chance of Andrews leaving Euclid and coming back to CMSD for Glenville than Rotsky getting the job. Even if he somehow got the job, Rotsky would not get a carte blanche to do thinks the way he did them at Heights, Maple, Euclid, or VASJ and there is enough friction there to make it a less than good move for him. there are plenty of inner ring burbs like Warrensville and others that would take him when/if he decides to leave VASJ.

Rotsky cannot and will not get the job. You have to be a teacher, para, or other type of staff member in CMSD to get that job. It will go to someone on staff or one of the more established CMSD teacher - coaches. Only way would be for no one in the district to want the job and there is a better chance of Andrews leaving Euclid and coming back to CMSD for Glenville than Rotsky getting the job. Even if he somehow got the job, Rotsky would not get a carte blanche to do thinks the way he did them at Heights, Maple, Euclid, or VASJ and there is enough friction there to make it a less than good move for him. there are plenty of inner ring burbs like Warrensville and others that would take him when/if he decides to leave VASJ.
Bedford will never ever take him, lots of bad blood. Only schools left for him to coach at are Shaw, Warrensville, Garfield Hts, Richmond Hts or Lutheran East. My money would be on Lutheran East.

No one’s going to Benny for academics. Lol

Bedford will never ever take him, lots of bad blood. Only schools left for him to coach at are Shaw, Warrensville, Garfield Hts, Richmond Hts or Lutheran East. My money would be on Lutheran East.
Yeah I can imagine the bad blood that was created over the "outreach" efforts of Chanel in Bedford/Warrensville/ Maple and would add maple to the No Return list.

I don't think Lutheran East will do that right now. They're seeing success and their "outreach" is being successful in bringing talent in. If their OL play improves they're a legitimately good team and seems like there is support for their current HC. Shaw or Garfield Heights would make the most sense for Rotsky and Richmond Heights seems to march to their own unique drum - their last HC seemed to have a lot of struggles there. Weird school for being in a relatively nice area.

When Benny has an engineering facility, IB program and ivy leaguers literally every year lemme know……. Not Everyone lives for sports.
Right, because those programs at Ed’s are saving America and young adult men. Please.

Good education = good character training, fear of the Lord, and a desire to live a virtuous/self-sacrificial life. The legacy of the monks at Benedictine and the many great laymen teachers have offered that to students throughout the years.

I have nothing against Ed’s (except for rumors that they are “woke”), but your comment is ridiculous.

Right, because those programs at Ed’s are saving America and young adult men. Please.

Good education = good character training, fear of the Lord, and a desire to live a virtuous/self-sacrificial life. The legacy of the monks at Benedictine and the many great laymen teachers have offered that to students throughout the years.

I have nothing against Ed’s (except for rumors that they are “woke”), but your comment is ridiculous.
The fact that you think Benedictine is pulling kids for academics is hilarious….. no suburban kids are going to Benny for an education and we all know it.

When Benny has an engineering facility, IB program and ivy leaguers literally every year lemme know……. Not Everyone lives for sports.
The fact that you think Benedictine is pulling kids for academics is hilarious….. no suburban kids are going to Benny for an education and we all know it.
Not true. Many suburban kids have and will continue to go to Benedictine for both education and sports.

Most of Benedictines kids are from the suburbs.If they had to rely on city kids for the bulk of their enrollment,they would have closed long ago.

Can someone that understands 'competitive balance' explain how Bene has more cb points than Hoban?

Can someone that understands 'competitive balance' explain how Bene has more cb points than Hoban?
It's probably because a higher number of Benedictine's players live outside of the city school zone that Benedictine is in (John Adams HS; used to be John Hay HS, but they're a selective school now, not a neighborhood school) than the Hoban players who live outside of the city school zone that Hoban is in (East HS or Garfield HS)

Surprising that after an 0-10 season that Benedictine would hire a guy that was in the staff??? I thought it would be time to make a clean sweep & start with a new face.
MANY times, albeit a rough road in the past. Pitiful teams always appear to have a number of assistants on staff, that can STILL GETRDONE. PLUS, they have familiarity with the existing roster, thus providing the incoming staff the wherewithal to hit the ground running. And not have to start from square one.

MANY times, albeit a rough road in the past. Pitiful teams always appear to have a number of assistants on staff, that can STILL GETRDONE. PLUS, they have familiarity with the existing roster, thus providing the incoming staff the wherewithal to hit the ground running. And not have to start from square one.
You actually believe this? They just had the schools worst record in 90 years.If that doesn't qualify as needing a whole new staff, I don't know what does. Familiarity with the existing roster? Several,including both QBs have left.

You actually believe this? They just had the schools worst record in 90 years.If that doesn't qualify as needing a whole new staff, I don't know what does. Familiarity with the existing roster? Several, including both QBs have left.
My fault for giving a generic answer to your query. I, being of the visitor variety, am not privy to the day-to-day qualities of any staff in Ohio. Just my two-sense worth. Since from my own experiences in the Nether world, South of the North. I just call it like I see it.

EXHIBIT A! In 2008, our previous so call big time coach, had nearly squandered our once proud program, to within an inch of its life. Finishing a three-season trip into purgatory, with a 15-15 record. Many of the W's being against slappies. And THEN, the administration got a hold of its rationality, and hired a REAL coach. He interviewed the current staff. And came away with a very good nucleus who had been on staff for years, but had been held back by the previous head coach. And after an initial 4-6 season. The new coach had taken us to the 7A semifinals, losing to the eventual state champions, 19-10. And a number of those assistants are still on staff, after fourteen years, eleven semifinals or better, and two state and one national championship. SOOO, there's THAT!

It's probably because a higher number of Benedictine's players live outside of the city school zone that Benedictine is in (John Adams HS; used to be John Hay HS, but they're a selective school now, not a neighborhood school) than the Hoban players who live outside of the city school zone that Hoban is in (East HS or Garfield HS)
John Adams and John Hay are, and have been, two different schools. John Hay is now a more selective school next to Cleveland School of Arts and Case Western. John Adams is on E 116th in between Union and Harvard.