2023-24 VASJ Vikings Basketball Official Thread

C'Town216

With football still playing into the Regional Semi’s taking on Ursuline, figured to get the basketball thread up and running. Below is the schedule I could compile via Dragonfly.

2023-24 VASJ Vikings Basketball Varsity ** Schedule via Dragon Fly **

12/2 vs John Hay - VASJ
12/3 vs Lutheran East - Cleveland Hts.
12/8 vs Mayfield - VASJ
12/12 @ St. Ignatius - St. Ignatius
12/15 vs Warren Harding - VASJ
12/19 @ Euclid - Euclid
12/22 @ Youngstown East - East
12/29 vs Thomas Worthington - Newark Holiday Tournament
12/30 vs TBA - Newark Holiday Tournament
1/5 vs Benedictine - VASJ
1/6 @ Eastlake North - North
1/9 vs Shaw - VASJ
1/19 vs NEO Prep - VASJ
1/20 @ Rhodes - Rhodes
1/26 @ University School - US
1/27 vs Lake Catholic - VASJ
1/30 @ Bedford - Bedford
2/2 @ CLE Central Catholic - CCC
2/6 vs NDCL - VASJ
2/9 @ Gilmour Academy - GA
2/23 @ Walsh Jesuit

Last edited:

The schedule has been officially released for the upcoming season:
IMG_3437.jpeg

Shocked to see Euclid on there. Surprised no Ed's, Mentor, Hoban or SVSM. Pretty solid schedule. Not as good as it used to be, but pretty solid.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting. Any word on how we have looked so far?
Haven’t heard much but to my understanding, they had a solid summer in scrimmages. So hopefully the momentum from last season carrie’s over with everyone being a year older and having a season of varsity experience.

From a comment made by the basketball teams Facebook page, it’s planned to have St. Ed’s and Mentor back on the schedule. My guess would be this was due to scheduling conflicts that didn’t align.

Good luck to the Vikings as they open the season against John Hay tonight at the Purple Palace. Varsity tip at 7pm, JV at 5:30pm

Final from last night:

VASJ 93
John Hay 65

From watching last night, the teams looks better compared to last year. There were moments that took place where in the same situation, they would collapse and lose control of the game. Last night there wasn’t much doubt.

I also noted the players looked bigger due to growth spurts starting to hit. Some guys put some muscle on as well. Now it’s time for them to learn to use their bodies to be physical on the court and be able to crash the boards and go up strong. I’m sure by the end of the year, the team will improve by then.

However, still a lot of things the Vikings need to clean up on if they want to make a run for a district title and regional birth this season. Overall I like the improvement I’ve seen compared although John Hay isn’t that strong of an opponent. They will have their hands full against defending D-III state champ Lutheran East over at Cleveland Hts tonight who have quite a few studs on that team.

I saw VASJ for the first time Friday against Mayfield. There is talent there - but they still play sloppy at times. There were a lot of careless turnovers and missed layups. They started out hot with a few 3s and a dunk - but proceeded to let the Wildcats right back into the game. Sometimes making the first few 3s in a game is a curse - because then you fall in love with the 3 point shot. That is what happened. That led to long rebounds and fast breaks for Mayfield. They fought hard and won by ten. They will improve as the year goes on. They are not quite ready as Lutheran East showed to compete with the big dogs. Another tough test will be Tuesday at Iggy.

It’s been a minute since I’ve posted as a lot has went on in my personal life that I had to deal with, but I’m back. The tournament draw has came and went with the Vikings taking the #17 seed in the RPI rankings. VASJ opted for NE District 3 that will be hosted at Akron North HS and taking the bye in the sectional round to face the winner of Chaney/Niles McKinley at VASJ. For the Vikings to return to the District Final, they would have to go the route of Chaney/Niles McKinley, Holy Name/Orrville/Alliance while fate likely determines CVCA making it to the District Final themselves.

The winner of this district will get a real treat in the Regional Rounds as the Canton Region has moved from the Civic Center to The Fieldhouse over at McKinley. Two more games remain for the Vikings to end the regular season before postseason play begins.
IMG_3692.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s been a minute since I’ve posted as a lot has went on in my personal life that I had to deal with, but I’m back. The tournament draw has came and went with the Vikings taking the #17 seed in the RPI rankings. VASJ opted for NE District 3 that will be hosted at Akron Garfield HS and taking the bye in the sectional round to face the winner of Chaney/Niles McKinley at VASJ. For the Vikings to return to the District Final, they would have to go the route of Chaney/Niles McKinley, Holy Name/Orrville/Alliance while fate likely determines CVCA making it to the District Final themselves.

The winner of this district will get a real treat in the Regional Rounds as the Canton Region has moved from the Civic Center to The Fieldhouse over at McKinley. Two more games remain for the Vikings to end the regular season before postseason play begins.
View attachment 54610
Thanks for the post with the brackets. Good work!

ICYMI: VASJ and Alliance had a marathon of a game that saw a Triple OT thriller. VASJ survived 90-84 with Alliance having moments storming back to tie the game and was at up 75-71 in 2 OT where the Vikes stormed back themselves. 3 OT was where the Vikings finally put the game.

Next up is #4 CVCA at Akron North on Saturday at 4pm.

Winner will get a date with either Youngstown Ursuline or NDCL next Thursday 3/14 at The Canton Memorial Fieldhouse (The Mecca for OH HS hoops) for the 6pm tipoff.

The Vikings, for the first time since 2019, are District Champions and will get a date with fellow flagship school, the Ursuline Irish at The Fieldhouse!

What a rollercoaster of a game and congrats to CVCA on a great season and hell of a team they have. The Vikings had moments where it looked like the wheels were coming off but they stayed with their game plan of attacking the basket.

Rebounding was abysmal in the 1st half but picked up in the 2nd half and withstood CVCA’s best efforts and for a second it looked like CVCA was gonna pull it out until two clutch threes from Shenker (sp?) to get the Vikings right back into it and a clutch put back bucket with mere seconds and a huge stop to send the Vikings back to Canton.

The Vikings return to the Fieldhouse on Thursday, March 14th against Ursuline at 6pm. Go Vikings!

The Vikings, for the first time since 2019, are District Champions and will get a date with fellow flagship school, the Ursuline Irish at The Fieldhouse!

What a rollercoaster of a game and congrats to CVCA on a great season and hell of a team they have. The Vikings had moments where it looked like the wheels were coming off but they stayed with their game plan of attacking the basket.

Rebounding was abysmal in the 1st half but picked up in the 2nd half and withstood CVCA’s best efforts and for a second it looked like CVCA was gonna pull it out until two clutch threes from Shenker (sp?) to get the Vikings right back into it and a clutch put back bucket with mere seconds and a huge stop to send the Vikings back to Canton.

The Vikings return to the Fieldhouse on Thursday, March 14th against Ursuline at 6pm. Go Vikings!
I believe this game is at the civic center.

They’ve moved the D2 to the Fieldhouse this year
Just saw that... my mistake. For as long as I can remember they have had d2 at the civic center, but I'm happy it's moved to the Fieldhouse. Much better venue imo. Go Irish!

Just saw that... my mistake. For as long as I can remember they have had d2 at the civic center, but I'm happy it's moved to the Fieldhouse. Much better venue imo. Go Irish!
I was shocked when I learned about it when the brackets came out and I had to double check to make sure I didn’t select D3 by mistake.

Awesome win. Have to confess I didn't see this run coming!
I think most of us didn’t, especially with despite having a District Final game under their belt from last year, I honestly have to say they grew up and became true Vikings and added their own chapter to this storied program. They still have a lot to still grow and develop but they are getting to where they need to be and glimpses at their full potential.

They could of easily spiraled out of control when CVCA went up by 5 but the resilience was unbelievable and didn’t see any panic at all compared to what we’ve seen much of last year and at times this season. Time to avenge the football program and beat Ursuline on Thursday!