2023-2024 St. Ignatius hockey

clevelandcane

Two big losses for the Cats this year. Looks like Cal Basile has gone to play AAA with the Oakland Jr. Grizzlies and Nolan Francis went to play with Little Caesars. Big blows for the Cats. Too bad but good luck to them.

Not sure who the goalie will be this year.

Saw the 15O team this weekend and they are really good. They're not going to nationals good (hope I'm wrong but I've seen that level) but they have lots of talent. One frosh, Zack Bleick, is fantastic. Kid's gonna play for the varsity no doubt. I hope he sticks around longer than Basile.

Didn’t catch the game but sounds like the D / goaltending struggled?
Only the second period was streamed so I have no idea. The key to the whole season was Francis leaving for Detroit. With him they're a state title favorite. Without? Crap shoot. Yesterday's G was bad when I watched but it's only one game. Today's played well.

How are people feeling about the team’s chances a couple playoff games in? US / Ed’s are the other main contenders?

Ignatius has a virtual bye to the Regional Final

US is the clear favorite in Kent

TSF is the favorite in Sylvania, although Bowling Green & Findlay are dark horses that could surprise TSF in their Regional Final

Pardon my ignorance, what is the difference between the the CLE wildcats and Iggy's high school team? Does it feed into the high school? Next I noticed the HS has four teams do they all compete in OSHAA or they split them off into different tourneys at the end of the year? This is pretty cool bc we can barely field one team down here.

Pardon my ignorance, what is the difference between the the CLE wildcats and Iggy's high school team? Does it feed into the high school? Next I noticed the HS has four teams do they all compete in OSHAA or they split them off into different tourneys at the end of the year? This is pretty cool bc we can barely field one team down here.
The Cleveland Wildcats 15 team is not directly affiliated with the school but all players are SI students. I think they've played 2 8th graders who later played at the school. The Prep team plays in the OHSAA state tournament. The other three teams are in different lower leagues.

Outside observer, but it seems a tad unfair that they are siphoning off all of the youth talent from around the city, which in turn hampers other program's efforts to field a decently competitive team

Outside observer, but it seems a tad unfair that they are siphoning off all of the youth talent from around the city, which in turn hampers other program's efforts to field a decently competitive team
Is someone forcing kids to attend Ignatius? Seems to me they’ve adopted a model for the program that lends itself to attracting the top talent in a sport that requires a lot of resources (and extensive travel) to compete at the highest level.

Ed's Gilmour, and Cats all have a model that promotes depth and gives opportunity. My only gripe is you can never be sure who is on a roster or what team is showing up to play you. US can't get the depth of those other programs but then they have their JV play mostly Varsity B schedule to toughen em up. Kids go where the coaches and opportunities are so I don't blame anyone for building that depth.

Not sure how to elevate a team from a high school team to a Prep team.

What were the scores of Holy Ice Wars this season? I'm assuming the Prep Wildcats are big favorites, but the Eagles have upset them in the past as underdogs.

Ed's Gilmour, and Cats all have a model that promotes depth and gives opportunity. My only gripe is you can never be sure who is on a roster or what team is showing up to play you. US can't get the depth of those other programs but then they have their JV play mostly Varsity B schedule to toughen em up. Kids go where the coaches and opportunities are so I don't blame anyone for building that depth.
If you market yourself as a "Prep" team, then you should play a "Prep" schedule...the ENTIRE SEASON, postseason included.

Play in the Gilmour Prep team league, which would have the added benefit of giving GA Prep a travel partner so teams in their league would only have to make one trip to Cleveland each season.

It is quite unfair to market yourself as a "Prep" team all season, then play in the OHSAA State Tournament come tournament time.

Iggy could still have their next-highest team compete in the OHSAA State tournament.

They aren't a Prep team. They're not even close. Do folks know what a real prep program is? Don't think so. They start housing kids from Canada and Czechia to play on the team and we'll talk.

They are simply a really good HS team who has the advantage of not being restricted by school districts. There is no difference between SF, US, eds, or any other private school. Just because they have the word 'prep' in their team name means absolutely nothing. Tired argument and a bit lazy.

They aren't a Prep team. They're not even close. Do folks know what a real prep program is? Don't think so. They start housing kids from Canada and Czechia to play on the team and we'll talk.

They are simply a really good HS team who has the advantage of not being restricted by school districts. There is no difference between SF, US, eds, or any other private school. Just because they have the word 'prep' in their team name means absolutely nothing. Tired argument and a bit lazy.
Father Streicher would say tp be concise with your words so it is an obvious ? With no logical answer. If I called myself king poo on turd Island people would ask me what I did wrong.

They have marketed their top team as a "Prep" team many times in the past...They say their a "Prep" team without doing all of the other necessary obligations that a real Prep team requires.

They have marketed their top team as a "Prep" team many times in the past...They say their a "Prep" team without doing all of the other necessary obligations that a real Prep team requires.
So do you think they are a prep team or not? Hint, they're not. Don't care what letters are in front of their team name, they are not a prep team.

O'rourke is into Etymology so ask him why they choose to use Prep. When you see what looks like the word college above the front door don't get confused either. You are at St Ignatius Prepatory School.

So who's the favorite on Saturday? I kind of want it to be Ignatius....that has meant good things for us in the past :)

So do you think they are a prep team or not? Hint, they're not. Don't care what letters are in front of their team name, they are not a prep team.
Why would you market your team as a "Prep" team all season, playing the best competition all year, then brag about winning so much in the state tournament against far-inferior teams???

Why would you market your team as a "Prep" team all season, playing the best competition all year, then brag about winning so much in the state tournament against far-inferior teams???
I don't see many posts bragging if any. I smell troll in green and yellow. I bet your head will be well twisted when the Prep Cats face the Preppers next Sunday. Go cats

With only 72 schools playing hockey in Ohio, an ~30 regular season game schedule, and with a goal of having a competitive schedule to get better, the Wildcat game options are limited. Looking at the regular season schedule, the Wildcats played 18 games vs parochial and public high schools in Ohio, Michigan, NY and Illinois. They played 8 games vs private schools in OH ( 2 vs US), PA (3 vs Pittsburgh Shadyside), NY and Canada; and 5 games vs what can be clearly described as hockey 'programs'.
The challenge of setting up a competitive schedule is no different than what the top tier schools (whether parochial or public) have to do in football and basketball.