2023-2024 NFHS Basketball Rule Changes

I suppose this helps with game flow if you have a team that is overaggressive and gets to seven team fouls pretty quickly. In theory it means that team has to play more disciplined and not jump to five fouls real quick. I don't see the end of game strategy changing at all however. My team is down in the final minute? We are still fouling to stop the clock. And as a fan of drama, I like the one and one.

I suppose this helps with game flow if you have a team that is overaggressive and gets to seven team fouls pretty quickly. In theory it means that team has to play more disciplined and not jump to five fouls real quick. I don't see the end of game strategy changing at all however. My team is down in the final minute? We are still fouling to stop the clock. And as a fan of drama, I like the one and one.
removing the 1and1 "reduces aggressive rebounding under the rim" or some thing...

and i agree w you, this wont change much down the stretch

Are you sure about the "going out of bounds and return" change? Rule 9-3-3 has to do with intentionally going out of bounds. Rule 7-1-1 has to do with the act of going out of bounds as in saving the ball. Confusing

Are you sure about the "going out of bounds and return" change? Rule 9-3-3 has to do with intentionally going out of bounds. Rule 7-1-1 has to do with the act of going out of bounds as in saving the ball. Confusing
The previous rule in NFHS penalized a player for "leaving the court for an unauthorized reason" regardless of whether the ball was touched by that player or not. It was almost never enforced by the book.

The new rule modifies 9-3-3 to basically be the same as the NCAA rule - you can go out of bounds under your own volition, but you cannot be the first player to touch the ball after returning inbounds. Nothing has changed regarding a player whose momentum takes him/her out of bounds (e.g. to save a ball) - those players were always allowed to return to the playing court immediately and not be penalized. That is still the case.

The previous rule in NFHS penalized a player for "leaving the court for an unauthorized reason" regardless of whether the ball was touched by that player or not. It was almost never enforced by the book.

The new rule modifies 9-3-3 to basically be the same as the NCAA rule - you can go out of bounds under your own volition, but you cannot be the first player to touch the ball after returning inbounds. Nothing has changed regarding a player whose momentum takes him/her out of bounds (e.g. to save a ball) - those players were always allowed to return to the playing court immediately and not be penalized. That is still the case.

I've seen a few times a player run out of bounds under the basket and get called for a violation. So this means that wouldn't be a violation anymore unless they are first to touch the ball right away, correct? I was also a bit confused on the wording.

I've seen a few times a player run out of bounds under the basket and get called for a violation. So this means that wouldn't be a violation anymore unless they are first to touch the ball right away, correct? I was also a bit confused on the wording.
Correct. In NCAA men's the mechanic for the official is to hold a closed fist out to the side (delayed violation), blow the whistle if the offending player is the first to touch the ball, or drop the fist if he is not. Not sure if NFHS/OHSAA will adopt the same mechanic.

I've seen that called in the NCAA game and it always confused me. What if A1 is holding the ball and A2 cuts out of bounds and returns inbounds while A1 is still holding the ball. Is the rule "first" or "next". Also seems like a rule that should have a statute of limitations. What if A2 cuts out of bounds, returns inbounds, ten seconds pass, and then A1 passes to A2? Does the game need that to be a violation?