2022 VASJ Vikings Football: Official Thread

I was there watching the Raiders. VASJ looks to have some big weapons. I didn’t really focus on them or the two other teams but from an eye test standpoint they’ve got some dudes.

The Vikings scrimmaged well. There were some defensive mistakes that led to a couple scores, but overall a solid outing. Poor tackling and alignment can be improved in practice. The offensive line play was good at times and not so good at others. Lots of depth at running back. Even saw a freshman or two with good gains on the ground. Of the two QBs that played, the shorter one was clearly better. He completed more passes and led the team on scoring drives 5/6 series I was able to watch from him. The taller one had a nice run for a score but didnt perform as well as a thrower. The wrs are young but they competed well.
Did anyone get a chance to go to the scrimmage vs. US? Any reports on how the Vikings looked?

The Vikings scrimmaged well. There were some defensive mistakes that led to a couple scores, but overall a solid outing. Poor tackling and alignment can be improved in practice. The offensive line play was good at times and not so good at others. Lots of depth at running back. Even saw a freshman or two with good gains on the ground. Of the two QBs that played, the shorter one was clearly better. He completed more passes and led the team on scoring drives 5/6 series I was able to watch from him. The taller one had a nice run for a score but didnt perform as well as a thrower. The wrs are young but they competed well.
I believe this years roster is fairly young, so I’d expect growing pains due to inexperience and with it still early in training camp, things can improve by Week 1

Thanks for the recaps. We open with, IMO, the toughest game on the schedule, so we will know where we stand soon.

The Vikings will be hosting Warrensville Hts for a scrimmage tomorrow evening at 5pm at Gutbrod Field. I believe this is the first known scrimmage on the shores of Lake Erie in ages? The event is open to all spectators.

The Vikings will be hosting Warrensville Hts for a scrimmage tomorrow evening at 5pm at Gutbrod Field. I believe this is the first known scrimmage on the shores of Lake Erie in ages? The event is open to all spectators.
Scrimmage moved to Friday. Same time

This Friday signifies that start of the 2022 campaign as Hamilton Badin who is coming off a Runner Up 2021 season will be visiting DeSanto Field to take on the Vikings to start the year. Kickoff is slated for Friday night at 7:30pm.

Last edited:
This Friday signifies that start of the 2022 campaign as Cincinnati Badin who is coming off a Runner Up 2021 season will be visiting DeSanto Field to take on the Vikings to start the year. Kickoff is slated for Friday night at 7:30pm.
Not to be picky, but its Hamilton Badin. Thats a tough opener that I didnt know was on your schedule. I have freinds on their coaching staff and I might head up. Good luck!

Not to be picky, but its Hamilton Badin. Thats a tough opener that I didnt know was on your schedule. I have freinds on their coaching staff and I might head up. Good luck!
Yep you’re right lol. I knew they were from that area but didn’t remember the exact town/city Badin is from and that they were a GCL team.

Collinwood, JCU, Case and maybe one game somewhere else.
So far, all home games are listed below;

DiSanto Field (CWRU): Baddin, Hartley
Don Shula Stadium (JCU): Wheeling Park
Finnie Stadium (BW): Ursuline

JFK and Collinwood games are slated as away games and are at the Collinwood Athletic Complex.

Don’t understand why VASJ can’t just play at nearby Wickliffe or even Mayfield or South on a Saturday. Why can’t they find a home field?
No idea, likely with Rotsky at the helm, schools don’t want to allow Joe’s to use their field in risk of losing kids, which is understandable (likely case? Doubt it.) It wouldn’t shock me if schools are charging too much to rent.

At this point, ask a few alums for some donations, fundraisers to help re-do the field at the school and upgrade the bleachers to play home games on their home field.

2022 Viking Preview from Cleveland.com

“VILLA ANGELA-ST. JOSEPH VIKINGS

2021 record: 7-2, Region 13 quarterfinalist

Coach: Jeff Rotsky (second season)

League: Independent

Players to watch

Kayin Cooper, QB/WR/DB, 5-11, 175, sr.

Kylan Steuball, QB, 6-3, 195, so.

Lamar “Bo” Jackson, RB/S, 5-11, 180, so.

Amani Powell, RB/LB, 5-6, 145, jr.

Andre Spinks, WR/S, 6-0, 170, jr.

Brandon Johnson, OT, 6-3, 284, jr.

Rayshawn Black, G/DL, 5-11, 240, sr.

Max Gembus, G/C, 5-10, 240, so.

Sean DiDona, C/DT, 5-11, 245, jr.

Dominic Kirks, DE/TE, 6-5, 205, jr.

David Jones, DE/OL, 6-2, 205, jr.

Johnathan Pitts, DT, 6-4, 350, sr.

Devin Hendricks, DT/FB, 5-9, 235, sr.

Mack Muhlhan, LB/FB, 5-10, 210, sr.

Timmy Gonakis, LB, 5-9, 180, jr.

Dante Landers, CB/WR, 5-9, 155, jr.

Aiden Staunton, K, 5-11, 150, sr.

About the Vikings: With just eight seniors on the roster, VASJ is even younger than last year’s team that Rotsky characterized as “young” because of its varsity inexperience throughout much of the lineup. That team had 25 seniors and put together impressive performances, such as a Week 2 blowout at Holy Name and a convincing win at Youngstown Ursuline, which made it to the Division IV state championship game. The Vikings are now up to Division III because of OHSAA competitive balance. It’s one of several challenges for this younger team, which must play its first two games without Rotsky following his appeal of an OHSAA playoff suspension last season. Rotsky is confident in his staff, which will lead VASJ into a season opener vs. one of last year’s Division III state finalists in Hamilton Badin. While the senior class is small, the juniors and sophomores are not. The sophomores make up more than 40 players on the roster, and Rotsky made Gembus the first sophomore captain in his coaching career. The headliner is Jackson, whose older brother Ty Howard was an All-Ohio linebacker last year as a senior, and already holds scholarship offers from Ohio State, Penn State, Pittsburgh and Kentucky. He will pair with Powell for one of the area’s most dynamic backfields, but the Vikings hope to have a third back in that mix like last year. Cooper and Steuball are competing for the starting quarterback spot, following the graduation of Jalen Minter. Steuball is big with an equally big arm, while Cooper has an added scrambling ability and can play receiver. Kirks is another potential Division I college prospect to lead an area of strength on the defensive line.”

Schedule

Aug. 19 vs. Hamilton Badin at Case Western Reserve

Aug. 26 at Cleveland JFK

Sept. 2 at Youngstown East

Sept. 9 vs. Wheeling Park at John Carroll

Sept. 17 at Cleveland Central Catholic

Sept. 23 at Collinwood

Sept. 30 vs. Columbus Bishop Hartley at Case Western Reserve

Oct. 7 vs. Youngstown Ursuline at Baldwin Wallace

Oct. 15 at Lake Catholic

Oct. 21 at Wooster

Link: https://www.cleveland.com/highschoo...saa-division-iii-football-season-preview.html

Last edited:
The above also mentioned that JR will be suspended the first two games after the OHSAA ruling last year. As I mentioned, Rotsky will be on thin ice especially with a new AD in the building. Will see if he behaves this year or crosses the line again.

Preview from the News Herald:

It’s Year 2 of the Rotsky Era at VASJ, and the Vikings have what Rotsky described as the “youngest team in 26 years of coaching.” There are 45 freshmen on the 95-player roster, and a large group of sophomores. Kylan Steuball and Kayin Cooper, who transferred from St. Edward two years ago, are battling it out to start at QB. Sophomore RB Bo Jackson, the younger brother of graduated standout Ty Howard, has an offer from Ohio State and will run out of the I-formation behind a rotation of three talented fullbacks and a promising offensive line. Amani Powell is another key playmaker. The Vikings’ defensive line, led by Devin Hendricks, Rayshawn Black, and Dom Kirks, is expected to be a strength on that side of the ball. Rotsky raved about kicker Aidan Staunton, who he said is regularly good from 50 yards out. Rotsky is pleased with his team’s overall depth, but stressed that youth will bring challenges. The Vikings, who will call Baldwin Wallace, CWRU and John Carroll home this season, have moved up to Division III from IV, and will open their season with Division III state runner-up Hamilton Badin.

Link to article: https://www.news-herald.com/2022/08/15/vasj-football-2022-season-preview

Thank you for the updates. Hoping for the best vs. Badin, but tbh, especially with such a young team, braced for the worst.
I agree, especially if they are being touted as the #2 in D-III behind Chardon. A lot of growing up will be had.

I'm a sw ohio guy and just read the preview for VASJ, why does the hc have to miss the first 2 games?
Well, our coach was busted with recruiting which he has a history of doing. He’s done it everywhere he’s been. Cleveland Hts, Euclid, Chanel, Maple Hts, etc… OHSAA banned him for 2 games in playoffs but filed a restraining order that was dropped. So he’s serving the suspension the first two games.

Outside all the BS and trolling, I’m looking forward to watching some football tomorrow night. Excited to see how this young team
performs. A lot will be seen about this young team and how they hold up against one of the top teams in D-III. Best of luck to the Vikings, see you at DiSanto!

Here’s the skinny, they will be young but talented. They will go 7-3 beating JFK, CCC, Wheeling Park, East, Lake Catholic, Collinwood and Wooster. They will lose to Badin, Ursuline and Hartley. They will have more talent in most games but will be badly out coached in close games. At 7-3 they’re a likely 6-8 seed in a loaded division 3. They should win first round game vs a low seed. Second round they will get beaten by a 1-3 seed as they will again be out coached. This is the Rotsky model for years.